Confirmed with Link: Klefbom Done For Season / Simpson Recalled

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Klefbom was regularly outplayed by every defenceman on our roster. He is a horrific player.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Klefbom's been much better recently. Hopefully he's able to come in to camp 100%, but man, his injury history continues to get more and more concerning.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Haven't watched a game in a while, huh?
Yeah, that was true for most of the season but the past...month maybe? Klefbom has been much better. Still not close to his level last year but outplayed everyone not named Larsson most nights.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah, that was true for most of the season but the past...month maybe? Klefbom has been much better. Still not close to his level last year but outplayed everyone not named Larsson most nights.

There's still some inconsistency there and the competition for the title isn't stiff, but overall, I'd say he's been the best of the bunch since January.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Everyone is saying it won't affect next year. True that maybe the recovery time may be over.

But he will be rehabbing april prob into the summer. So it is possible he misses some summer training. Why risk him not being up to speed for next year (especially playing in his home country) just to play meaningless games this year? Who cares if he wanted to play, he is an employee and next year should have taken precedence over this year imo.

Im also leary of believing the oilers propaganda that it didn't get worse this season. As another poster said he went from playing to needing shots to the shots not working to needing surgery and being shut down. Seems like there is always something weird going on with injuries on this team.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
When a person goes under the knife for any surgical procedure there's always the risk of infection and complications... and given that Klefbom had exactly those types of infections and complications in the recent past (losing a chunk of his leg to a staph infection) it's quite possible Klefbom was/is leery about subjecting his body to more invasive procedures.

I don't think any of us can really know the full extent of the situation as only the doctors, Klefbom and management have all the details behind why and when they make the medical decisions they do... it's not quite as black and white as we make it sound when it comes to medical issues.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
When a person goes under the knife for any surgical procedure there's always the risk of infection and complications... and given that Klefbom had exactly those types of infections and complications in the recent past (losing a chunk of his leg to a staph infection) it's quite possible Klefbom was/is leery about subjecting his body to more invasive procedures.

I don't think any of us can really know the full extent of the situation as only the doctors, Klefbom and management have all the details behind why and when they make the medical decisions they do... it's not quite as black and white as we make it sound when it comes to medical issues.
Right here might be why it may be good to move on from him. Injuries and surgeries are an unfortunate part of life for professional athletes. If he has issues with getting the same type of treatments that other athletes in similar situations get then it’s a problem. I’m not blaming him, I know what he’s gone through and it’s horrible. At the same time though he needs to deal with these things in a timely matter to get back on to the ice and be as effective as he can be. If he’s not willing to then it’s a problem.

I think he a good player when healthy and playing well. There’s no denying though that he’s missed a lot of games since he’s been drafted. Lot of years of uncertainty left on that contract, might not be a bad idea to try to get out from it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Right here might be why it may be good to move on from him. Injuries and surgeries are an unfortunate part of life for professional athletes. If he has issues with getting the same type of treatments that other athletes in similar situations get then it’s a problem. I’m not blaming him, I know what he’s gone through and it’s horrible. At the same time though he needs to deal with these things in a timely matter to get back on to the ice and be as effective as he can be. If he’s not willing to then it’s a problem.

I think he a good player when healthy and playing well. There’s no denying though that he’s missed a lot of games since he’s been drafted. Lot of years of uncertainty left on that contract, might not be a bad idea to try to get out from it.
You do realise that all of this is just hfboards speculation? There is literally nothing behind it except for posters sitting behind their computers trying to imagine who Klefbom thinks and reasons...

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Everyone is saying it won't affect next year. True that maybe the recovery time may be over.

But he will be rehabbing april prob into the summer. So it is possible he misses some summer training. Why risk him not being up to speed for next year (especially playing in his home country) just to play meaningless games this year? Who cares if he wanted to play, he is an employee and next year should have taken precedence over this year imo.

Im also leary of believing the oilers propaganda that it didn't get worse this season. As another poster said he went from playing to needing shots to the shots not working to needing surgery and being shut down. Seems like there is always something weird going on with injuries on this team.

I understand this thought process, but can a team force a player to get surgery? Especially if medical professionals are giving multiple options on how to deal with this issue?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You do realise that all of this is just hfboards speculation? There is literally nothing behind it except for posters sitting behind their computers trying to imagine who Klefbom thinks and reasons...
Of course it’s all speculation. Lots of that on a hockey forum.

None of us have the details but it is curious that he’s waited so long for surgery it makes you wonder if he was refusing it. I like Klefbom, I’m not one of the guys that’s been ripping on him all year. I think when he’s in form he’s more than worth his contract. That said, he’s been an odd case since we’ve drafted him. Other than last year, he’s had physical issue every season since we drafted him. They come with the territory for pro athletes and they aren’t his fault. I’m not blaming him for them. All I was saying though is that if the speculation is true that he refused the same treatment that other players get for similar issues than that may be a reason for the team to want to move on from him. I’m not saying that’s the case but there does seem to be some speculation that this was the case.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Of course it’s all speculation. Lots of that on a hockey forum.

None of us have the details but it is curious that he’s waited so long for surgery it makes you wonder if he was refusing it. I like Klefbom, I’m not one of the guys that’s been ripping on him all year. I think when he’s in form he’s more than worth his contract. That said, he’s been an odd case since we’ve drafted him. Other than last year, he’s had physical issue every season since we drafted him. They come with the territory for pro athletes and they aren’t his fault. I’m not blaming him for them. All I was saying though is that if the speculation is true that he refused the same treatment that other players get for similar issues than that may be a reason for the team to want to move on from him. I’m not saying that’s the case but there does seem to be some speculation that this was the case.
My point is that even as speculation it is really a stretch. First off, Klefbom had probably had more interventions than half of the team and he's never complained about it. The staph infection didn't come from an operation, it was the operation that saved his foot and he has several times expressed a lot of gratitude to the medical team operating on him. Second, this injury (my speculation, which makes more sense imo :)) is something he has played with for years now. But, in the playoffs last year he got hit and it started to be very painful at times, so something happened there to aggrevate things. Of course, seeing as he has played with it for years he decided (well, let's not kud outselves, the medical team decided) to rest over the summer and then it should be back to "normal" again in the new season. What happened then was that he felt the pain already in TC and they decided to try meds/injections. That didn't work obviously, what did work though was the treatment he got in the break in December. After that he has been really good to almost any eye except the usual suspects. When the season was over according to the team (not hf) they took another look to see what to do. Operation was scheduled to fix it even though he is not suffering right now. Klefbom himself said that he think that the operation is good because even though it is under control now it could be necessary to play next season on meds. That said, he also said he didn't want to abandon the team, you play together in goid times and in bad times and once the operation was scheduled he obviously asked the medical team if he could play until that time, and they approved.

For me nothing in that story, in which I had to fill in very few holes from what has been revealed already, sounds as if he'd be against having an operation. Rather the opposite really.

Reactions: Zaddy

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
A smart manager wouldn't spend to the cap unless the team is a TRUE SC contender.

If I owned the team, I'd want to see results first on a Cap - 15% budget and increase the budget in order to keep players on a winning team. Frivolous spending is a huge factor in why the Oilers have been terrible for years.

McDavid and Draisaitl make 21 mil. And then you have Lucic making 6 mil. And you have likely 5 defense (when nurse re-signs) who are making 4 mil +. I agree that a smart manager shouldnt be spending to the cap. But based on the deficiencies of the wingers and defense, I dont see how the GM makes this team competitive without spending to the cap. Frivolous spending like you mentioned on Lucic and the defense are a huge problem for this team going forward. Team needs to try and figure out a way to get rid of the Lucic contract imo.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So why did a defenceman that has needed shoulder surgery all season, one of the leaders in PPTOI for the season?

Seriously that should without a doubt be a fireable offence for the coaching staff. It's the definition of setting someone up to fail.

Reactions: Aerrol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Back to working out in 5-6 weeks. Why, if this has been an issue for almost 3 years as they earlier reported, didn't he have this done when he had all the issues with his foot, ankle?? He was out for months then.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Back to working out in 5-6 weeks. Why, if this has been an issue for almost 3 years as they earlier reported, didn't he have this done when he had all the issues with his foot, ankle?? He was out for months then.

It has not been an issue for 3 years.
His shoulder has had something broken inside for three years, but it didn't affect his game.
Once he got hit last year in the playoffs and the pain started that is/was when the issue started. It would have been appropriate to operate last summer, but seeing as it was the first time it really bothered him (and it came from after getting hit) I can understand why they thought that rest over the summer would be enough.

The middle joint on my little finger is busted, I can bend it both ways without any problem. At times it can become really painful when I hit something in the wrong way (maybe once a year, I am getting used to it after 20 years together), but after a couple of weeks it goes away and I am back to normal again. No way that I going operate it just because an operation to fix it exists. I think many people, especially athletes, live with these kind of things. There is always a balance and at some point you weight the benefits against the cost.

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It has not been an issue for 3 years.
His shoulder has had something broken inside for three years, but it didn't affect his game.
Once he got hit last year in the playoffs and the pain started that is/was when the issue started. It would have been appropriate to operate last summer, but seeing as it was the first time it really bothered him (and it came from after getting hit) I can understand why they thought that rest over the summer would be enough.

The middle joint on my little finger is busted, I can bend it both ways without any problem. At times it can become really painful when I hit something in the wrong way (maybe once a year, I am getting used to it after 20 years together), but after a couple of weeks it goes away and I am back to normal again. No way that I going operate it just because an operation to fix it exists. I think many people, especially athletes, live with these kind of things. There is always a balance and at some point you weight the benefits against the cost.

They said it has been an issue and he had been getting treatment for it for three years. It's his shoulder and obviously effected him a lot more than a pinky finger...

Not giving blame to Klefbom, but it's another instance where our management and medical staff look 2nd rate.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
They said it has been an issue and he had been getting treatment for it for three years. It's his shoulder and obviously effected him a lot more than a pinky finger...

Not giving blame to Klefbom, but it's another instance where our management and medical staff look 2nd rate.
Everything I have heard talks about major treatment (very unexpectedly) this season and really minor things before.

The pinky finger was an example of things which I think are obvious but many don't consider. There are many people and even more athletes who play with worn down joints, for example not being able to bend legs/arms properly. If it does not affect your performance you leave it be.

I am as disappointed as everyone else for this season and I want the coaching staff out, but the Klefbom injury I don't think is a relevant point against them really. To me how they treated it makes sense tbh.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->