Confirmed with Link: Klefbom Done For Season / Simpson Recalled

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Couldn't his lack of physical play this season be attributed to his shoulder injury?

His shoulder injury made him worse at passing, shooting and defending. They should have shut him down around December to get shoulder surgery so he could have more time for training

His lack of board play has been there from day 1(although now they are saying this injury is years old, so who knows)

But his shoulder definitely hasn't forced him to make the bad reads he has all year in pinching.

Also, if it has been there for years, as he says..explain last year? He claims it's been years, yet we should omit last year cuz things went well? I doubt the pain suddenly subsided cuz his stats looked good

I blaim Chia for alot of things, but in this ccase I don't. This is not a Souray decision imo. Completely different management group

Reactions: harpoon

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
His lack of board play has been there from day 1(although now they are saying this injury is years old, so who knows)

But his shoulder definitely hasn't forced him to make the bad reads he has all year in pinching.

Also, if it has been there for years, as he says..explain last year? He claims it's been years, yet we should omit last year cuz things went well? I doubt the pain suddenly subsided cuz his stats looked good

or maybe the injury has finally made its toll on him physically.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
or maybe the injury has finally made its toll on him physically.

Seemed apparent his last 3 games where he was all over the puck and unleashing howitzers. His game also improved the last 2 months infact

It's a minor nagging injury. Many players go through it.

I rip on management for tons of stuff, but this ain't one of them. This was Klef's decision and it wasn't as dire as some are stretching it to be for excuses against management

Reactions: TB12

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I blaim Chia for alot of things, but in this ccase I don't. This is not a Souray decision imo. Completely different management group

McLellan said the treatments that Klefbom used on the shoulder(I would guess cortisone?) were effective in the past, but they weren't as effective this year.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
RNH(6)-McDavid(12.5)-Pulju(900k)
Benson(900k)-Drai(8.5)-Slepy(1)
Lucic(6)-Strome(3)-x
x-Khaira(700k)-Kassian(1.9)
x

Nurse(4.5-Larsson(4.1)
Klef(4.1)-Carlson(9)
Sekera(5.5)-Russell(4)
Bear(900)

Talbot(4.1)
Backup(1)

x=1M
81.6M

Pretty tight but doable

Cap @81.6M next season?

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I feel bad for criticising the player if his injury was fairly debilitating, but let's not pretend that his play was, overall, even decent these past four months. You could say the same for Sekera, but he is coming off of a major surgery and he's not exactly a youngin anymore

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I agree that Klefbom needs to stay right here. He has been pretty bad this season, but was mostly good last year, and he's just entering his prime years as a D-man right now. If he comes back healthy next year, with a little bit different environment, I think chances are good he will turn out strong. Certainly the Oilers cannot afford to be trading away any more unique assets, and Klefbom is the only established D-man who can shoot from the point (Bear may be good at this, too, but it's early).

(It's remarkable that Sekera has managed to go -14 in only 30 games. Yikes.)

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Anyone know if this surgery will take him out of games beginning of next season? Please god no, I don't want Chia trying to replace him with another plug like Auvitu and calling it an offseason complete.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
A smart manager wouldn't spend to the cap unless the team is a TRUE SC contender.

If I owned the team, I'd want to see results first on a Cap - 15% budget and increase the budget in order to keep players on a winning team. Frivolous spending is a huge factor in why the Oilers have been terrible for years.

Reactions: ToddsBod

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
A smart manager wouldn't spend to the cap unless the team is a TRUE SC contender.

If I owned the team, I'd want to see results first on a Cap - 15% budget and increase the budget in order to keep players on a winning team. Frivolous spending is a huge factor in why the Oilers have been terrible for years.
Agreed. This teams management has handcuffed itself :/

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
It's about time.

I will be so pissed if they deal Klefbom this summer though it wouldn't surprise me. Would be such an Oilers move to trade the guy at his lowest possible value.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Anyone know if this surgery will take him out of games beginning of next season? Please god no, I don't want Chia trying to replace him with another plug like Auvitu and calling it an offseason complete.

That is my question as well. I would hope that he will be 100% healthy and at full strength by next training camp.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That is my question as well. I would hope that he will be 100% healthy and at full strength by next training camp.

They had said last week that he for sure should be 100% for next season. Hopefully it doesn't impact his offseason training too much is more my concern.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Klef may have wanted to play through it, seems though it was more harm than good. After scoring in the game vs the Panthers he made that gesture, rolling his shoulder as to make a sly joke about the talk of his injury. I wish he wouldn't have done that considering now he's being shutdown.

Wonder if Simpson gets his first Nhl point and/or goal with this call up. May be his last chance to show if he can play in the big leagues, being 25yrs old at some point soon management might have to cut ties with Dillon if he can't make the big club.

It would be best if he got his first Nhl point right away just so it relieves some of the pressure the young man would be feeling.

If he doesn't play in the first couple games wouldn't be too detrimental though. Just make sure he's up to speed with McLellan's style and strategies so he doesn't end up in the doghouse.

Good luck to both Klef and Dillon.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Klefbom asked them to play.

He was playing with the injury for years. It wasn't going to get worse playing.
Except it did get worse. He went from being able to play with it without any issues to needing cortisone shots to get by. Then after he started taking the shots his play fell off. Then after a while the cortisone shots stopped working and now he needs to be shut down to get the surgery after all. In what world did his injury not get worse by continuing to play? It’s ridiculous that he and or the team is peddling this garbage. He’s wasted at least a year and maybe more by not getting the surgery done much sooner.

Reactions: Jamin

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Kind of bushleague how a player is able to dictate to the organization that he can play through injury even though surgery is needed asap.
It's just mind boggling that despite the season being a write off, Klefbom played months through injury. Should have shut him down earlier so that his offseason training isnt impacted...

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Since about end of Jan I thought Klefbom was our best Dman. Nurse has certainly dropped off.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Since about end of Jan I thought Klefbom was our best Dman. Nurse has certainly dropped off.
I wouldn't say dropped off, just inconsistent. He's playing the shutdown role NICELY, offence has dried up though. I say still give him some time. Gotta remember this is still only his 2nd *full season.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I wouldn't say dropped off, just inconsistent. He's playing the shutdown role NICELY, offence has dried up though. I say still give him some time. Gotta remember this is still only his 2nd *full season.
Yes, he has not been bad, but compaired to early season when his advanced stats were like top 10 in the league, they fell off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad