Confirmed with Link: Klefbom Done For Season / Simpson Recalled

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Why on earth would Carlson (American, used to playoffs, highly sought after) choose the Oilers? (A losing, smaller market Canadian team that has no cap space to improve in other aspects)

Mike Green I could see but Carlson's agent would just laugh at us
The Oilers who are one of the highest revenue teams in the league are a small market team?

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Why was he not shutdown 10 games ago ? Another testemant on how this organization makes injured players play. And this is Kevin Lowe mindset imbedded into the Oilers .

10 games? Dude he's been injured for most of the season, they could've done this surgery back around new years even. This organization is stuppppppid.

Reactions: Vagabond

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We are lacking in RHS Dmen and both Russell and Sekera have NMC's. If we want to upgrade our D, it would appear either Klefbom or Nurse need to be moved.

I understand why this makes some sense but it looks short sighted to me. After next year you have honest options to move or rid yourself of both the Russell and Sekera contracts if need be. Klefbom is much younger than both of these two. If he only bounces back to be a decent #4 his contract will still be in line with what you might expect to replace him. Any more than that and his deal becomes a bargain over the course of his contract. Beyond Nurse the only guy you have on the LHS that is a long term person is Klefbom.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why on earth would Carlson (American, used to playoffs, highly sought after) choose the Oilers? (A losing, smaller market Canadian team that has no cap space to improve in other aspects)

Mike Green I could see but Carlson's agent would just laugh at us
never count out the McDavid factor

And the fact that we suck as a team is not an issue imo. Just point to all the movement in the standings over the years. It is not insane to suggest that we could be #1 in the west next season if things went our way, and if we added someone like Carlson.

But I do agree that it is more likely he wants to go elsewhere. It's still worth it to see though.

I'm anticipating a smaller move than Carlson or Karlsson though. Something like one of the Columbus Dmen like Savard or Johnson, or maybe Green

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I understand why this makes some sense but it looks short sighted to me. After next year you have honest options to move or rid yourself of both the Russell and Sekera contracts if need be. Klefbom is much younger than both of these two. If he only bounces back to be a decent #4 his contract will still be in line with what you might expect to replace him. Any more than that and his deal becomes a bargain over the course of his contract. Beyond Nurse the only guy you have on the LHS that is a long term person is Klefbom.

At the cost of another playoff berth? It may seem short sighted but my guess this team is on a massive clock also

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I find it hard to believe that dealing Klefbom for an equivalent RHD is the difference between making the playoffs and not.

IMHO I doubt they have their sights on an equivalent RHD. Most likely an upgrade

Chia basically admitted he is looking to get a puck moving dman..so a contract on d must be shed

He also hinted this when asked about the picks he aquired. So again, my guess those are the add pieces or supplements to what he might be targeting

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
IMHO I doubt they have their sights on an equivalent RHD. Most likely an upgrade

Chia basically admitted he is looking to get a puck moving dman..so a contract on d must be shed

He also hinted this when asked about the picks he aquired. So again, my guess those are the add pieces or supplements to what he might be targeting

If the guy coming back is a significant upgrade then maybe it makes sense. But there are few of those available. Karlsson is one of the only guys out there who I think may 1) be available and 2) would be a big enough upgrade to move the needle over what a healthy Klefbom might bring. After that you are looking at guys like Barrie and Dumba. Neither would be a huge upgrade overall on what Klefbom did in 2016-2017. Signing a guy like Green while keeping your assets probably accomplishes more. The Oilers could afford him next year.

Again, I am not against trading Klefbom but it should not be for a short term fix because of Sekera or Russell's contracts.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If the guy coming back is a significant upgrade then maybe it makes sense. But there are few of those available. Karlsson is one of the only guys out there who I think may 1) be available and 2) would be a big enough upgrade to move the needle over what a healthy Klefbom might bring. After that you are looking at guys like Barrie and Dumba. Neither would be a huge upgrade overall on what Klefbom did in 2016-2017. Signing a guy like Green while keeping your assets probably accomplishes more. The Oilers could afford him next year.

Again, I am not against trading Klefbom but it should not be for a short term fix because of Sekera or Russell's contracts.

Klef's career thus far has been so inconsistent and up and down..trading him for a consistent player is an upgrade. The worst thing Chia can do is go into next season "banking" like he did this year

Fill a hole and be done with it imo. And I agre, not for a rental. If Klef is dealt it should be for term or a sure extension

Reactions: Aerchon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chiarelli and McLellan kept playing him knowing he was injured. What a great GM-coach combo.
there are many examples of "playable injuries"

But I agree that he should have had it sooner. We're not exactly fighting for a playoff spot, and he's been awful this season.

Some have said that Klef himself wanted to avoid the surgery and try to play through it, whatever it is exactly. I don't know about that one, and even if it is true, coaching and management should have talked him into the surgery.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I agree with what you wrote, but I'd add OEL to that list (even if he is a leftie).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Klef's career thus far has been so inconsistent and up and down..trading him for a consistent player is an upgrade. The worst thing Chia can do is go into next season "banking" like he did this year

Fill a hole and be done with it imo. And I agre, not for a rental. If Klef is dealt it should be for term or a sure extension

Actually Klefbom has been very consistent given his age. He was very good for the most part in the NHL with the only extended stretch where he really struggled being this year. But there is a very good chance that this is injury related.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Actually Klefbom has been very consistent given his age. He was very good for the most part in the NHL with the only extended stretch where he really struggled being this year. But there is a very good chance that this is injury related.

I'm factoring in injuries in his inconstant career. Also, his shoulder is not the main reason for his poor reads this season. Yes he apparently is injured, but his game is also off

Compound that with his injury history, and also his lack of physical play..IMO there is way more upside to trading him than expecting him to become a legit #2

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Why was he not shutdown 10 games ago ? Another testemant on how this organization makes injured players play. And this is Kevin Lowe mindset imbedded into the Oilers .
There was virtually no risk of worsening the injury and his recovery time won't put him out of commission for training camp.

Edit: as others have mentioned.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I'm factoring in injuries in his inconstant career. Also, his shoulder is not the main reason for his poor reads this season. Yes he apparently is injured, but his game is also off

Compound that with his injury history, and also his lack of physical play..IMO there is way more upside to trading him than expecting him to become a legit #2
Couldn't his lack of physical play this season be attributed to his shoulder injury?

His shoulder injury made him worse at passing, shooting and defending. They should have shut him down around December to get shoulder surgery so he could have more time for training

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad