Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Agree 100%, we can't jump the gun and saying this is a miss of a draft pick since AA can still report next season. Not sure if AA would make a real difference this yr for the Rangers anyways. Question.... if AA doesn't report this season does it gives MM a chance to pickup a solid Import\OA forward on waivers throughout the CHL?

Ward, he could only do that if he released the rights to one of the two whose rights they currently have. I still think it's 50/50 as to whether he comes. The entire coaching staff are former NHLers, one of whom is a D-man who played in Boston and another who is a Swede. Connections run deep in the hockey world. It'd start with the Rangers making some guarantees about ice time/role. We shall see, but it's not a done deal either way yet.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Historically, mid round NHL drafted players are most often back with their junior team's by the first weekend of the OHL's regular season. Invitees even sooner.

I expect Damiani, Vallati and Garreffa back by opening weekend.

Also, if you notice, the Rangers rarely play more than one game on opening weekend. Especially at home. Should either not be back for opening weekend, they won't miss many games.

See where your coming from. Regardless, 12 forwards with Damiani and Garreffa back is not a safe number so potentially adding an OA via trade and an FA seems crucial to me

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
See where your coming from. Regardless, 12 forwards with Damiani and Garreffa back is not a safe number so potentially adding an OA via trade and an FA seems crucial to me

I agree. But since this is not an all in year, I wouldn't want to spend a ton on a higher end OA, but do agree we need at least one but likely two additions to the F group, and an OA is the way to go.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Ward, he could only do that if he released the rights to one of the two whose rights they currently have. I still think it's 50/50 as to whether he comes. The entire coaching staff are former NHLers, one of whom is a D-man who played in Boston and another who is a Swede. Connections run deep in the hockey world. It'd start with the Rangers making some guarantees about ice time/role. We shall see, but it's not a done deal either way yet.

I know it has to be done sometimes to get players to sign, but I really dislike icetime guarantees. If you're not playing well enough to earn it, getting a lot of icetime while playing poorly won't help your future pro plans anyway.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I know it has to be done sometimes to get players to sign, but I really dislike icetime guarantees. If you're not playing well enough to earn it, getting a lot of icetime while playing poorly won't help your future pro plans anyway.

I do too. Unfortunately the league and climate have changed. These are common now. London has been quite successful with that strategy. The key is to know that you're giving guarantees to the right players. If so, it won't burn you too much. I still believe the coach needs that tool in his toolbox to maximize effort and accountability.

Reactions: aresknights

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I do too. Unfortunately the league and climate have changed. These are common now. London has been quite successful with that strategy. The key is to know that you're giving guarantees to the right players. If so, it won't burn you too much. I still believe the coach needs that tool in his toolbox to maximize effort and accountability.
Agreed 100% but with NHL drafted import players I suspect it would be next to impossible to have the NHL teams assign the players to any CHL team w/o any icetime guarantee. So, the CHL teams just need to accommodate the NHL with the icetime guarantee. But having said that, these players are a wee bit older and in AA case a second round pick so the "gamble" is lessened quite a bit and usually is well worth it.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Thought I'd see what Swedish sports writers are saying about Axel Andersson. Here's one from late June (Google translation):

Tasks: "Great chance" that the talent leaves Djurgården

He was drafted as number 57 in the NHL draft and number 51 in the CHL draft. Now data from North America says that Axel Andersson may leave Djurgården.

This weekend he was picked by Boston Bruins. Yesterday, OHL club Kitchener Rangers chose him as number 51 in the CHL draft. Just Kitchener is now a potential club address for Axel Andersson's coming season.
According to Josh Brown at Waterloo Region Record, Kitchener's general manager Mike McKenzie has spoken to Andersson's agent and got the feeling that there is a "big chance" that Axel Andersson will play with Kitchener Rangers next season.

The playful back hit the 16/17 season into Djurgården's J20 team. He has scored 71 points in 71 games, despite his young age. The 18-year-old was also included in the team taking silver in the U18 World Cup this spring. Now the way to NHL games can be done via the Canadian Junior Jacket. Kitchener Rangers was by far the team that Gabriel Landeskog also played before heading to Colorado.

And Landeskog's journey to the NHL via Kitchener has not been forgotten. Have to wonder if Gabe will talk to the Andersson family on behalf of the Rangers as yet another voice weighing in on playing here.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
ANOTHER article July 1st...and this time Hugg is mentioned.....(Google translation):

From J20 games to NHL contract with Boston Bruins

Djurgården seems to be missing out on the talented juniorback Axel Andersson. On Sunday, he wrote NHL contract with Boston Bruins - just eight days after the club drafted him as 57th player last Saturday.
Axel Andersson was one of many Swedish backs chosen early in the weekend's NHL draft. The 18-year-old from Järna outside Södertälje was picked up by Boston Bruins already in the second round, even though he did not have a single SHL match CV.
Eight days after the announcement that he had been drafted, he signed a three-year rookie contract with Bruins with a $ 825,333 payday break. That's why Bruins has a command on the question where Andersson will play next season.
CAN HAVE IN OHL
Earlier this week he was also picked by Kitchener Rangers in CHL's import deduction. This makes Bruins have the opportunity to place the back in Gabriel Landeskog's former OHL team, where the Swedish center Rickard Hugg has previously been.
Axel Andersson accounted for 31 points (6 + 25) on 42 matches in Djurgården's J20 team last season. He was also included in the Swedish U18 World Cup team who took bronze in Russia. In that tournament there were two assists in seven games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad