Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If you remember we had 2 tenders who were Jr B caliber at that time (Greenfield and Dekort) plus the Rangers hadn't won in about 8 or 9 games when the trade was made. If they didn't shore up the net they might not have made the play offs.

Yes, making the playoffs, where did that get us that year? Had we not traded for Paterson we either don't make the playoffs or we barely squeak in and are an easy out the first round. We spent the picks we spent on Patterson to try to get us an extra playoff home date or two instead of a 4 game sweep or no post season at all. That's all that deal accomplished. That team wasn't getting any further than the first round anyway, Paterson or no Paterson.

The worst thing about that deal, was that it insured a lower first round pick in the 2015 draft. Instead of picking 12th overall, and drafting Meireles who has at least so far, underachieved as a first round pick, we could've finished out of the playoffs and drafted one of Vilardi, McLeod, or Tippett. No way we would've been as bad as Sudbury and drafted first overall. They would've gone ahead and drafted Levin and we would've had one of those three guys. How would that be going forward? How would that help today's team?

Reactions: rangersblues

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Yes, making the playoffs, where did that get us that year? Had we not traded for Paterson we either don't make the playoffs or we barely squeak in and are an easy out the first round. We spent the picks we spent on Patterson to try to get us an extra playoff home date or two instead of a 4 game sweep or no post season at all. That's all that deal accomplished. That team wasn't getting any further than the first round anyway, Paterson or no Paterson.

The worst thing about that deal, was that it insured a lower first round pick in the 2015 draft. Instead of picking 12th overall, and drafting Meireles who has at least so far, underachieved as a first round pick, we could've finished out of the playoffs and drafted one of Vilardi, McLeod, or Tippett. No way we would've been as bad as Sudbury and drafted first overall. They would've gone ahead and drafted Levin and we would've had one of those three guys. How would that be going forward? How would that help today's team?

This is so accurate. Although, I will say Owen Sound picked after us, and they did pretty well selecting Nick Suzuki.
Hopefully this is something our new GM understands and can convince our Board of Governors of: when you aren't trying to win it all, or in the first 2 years of a rebuild, you need to be bad and you need to sell the assets and not waste assets for short term gain.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

Those two 2nds and the 3rd for Fabrii could also be used on Raddysh, Dipietro etc.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Good point Dirty 12.

They'll also get the conditional 2nds from acquiring the rights to Tortora in 2020, 21 and 22 if he doesnt play this year or next.

They have 3 2nd rounders in the 2018 draft.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Thi
is there some rumour Fabbri may be sent down to Juniors or is this a hail mary by the Rangers? His stats in the NHL are decent
This deal was from 2 or 3 yrs ago when Fabbri was 19 yrs old. I don't think there was any real chance of Fabbri was ever being sent back but Hiebert wanted to ensure if he was it would be to Kitchener. Giving the trade a bit of substance was Ryan McInnis was playing here and his dad is in the Blues front office.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Another big game today IMO.

Gotta go off to the break on a big positive note, Kingston's on the final game of a 3 in 2.5. The team should come out flying and take it to them.

As far as who to watch, Kingston's goalie Helvig COULD be available. Not sure if he'll play today after picking up a win last night in Owen Sound.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
This is so accurate. Although, I will say Owen Sound picked after us, and they did pretty well selecting Nick Suzuki.

London did pretty well with Bouchard and Thomas, Windsor with DiPietro, Erie with Ivan Lodnia. All selected after the Rangers picked. Still would these players have developed better or worse than Meireles did with one less year in junior and Rangers coaching.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Kind of a grinder today. Boring and sloppy at times early on. Kingston plays real defensive and doesn't give up much. Two points in the bank thanks to that big Burner roughing up Mash. I am sure he said Merry Christmas to the ref on his way to the box:naughty:
On a side note going into the deadline Rychel said last night he is not trading DiPietro this year as he will be just a valuable next season.
Where do the Rangers go from here?

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think Kitchener is gonna have to roll with Bouchard as our guy, the limited goalie market will make the prices obscene and frankly, we aren't in as bad of a situation as OS. I believe Bouchard has the skill level of a Raymakers or Vilalta.

If I was Kitchener, I'd be focusing on the blueline. I'd be going for one offensive dman and one stay at home dman. Ideally Gentles is on our 3rd pairing with Villatti come playoffs.
This would also mean Garreffa goes back to forward to increase our scoring depth. Tho, if say Mississauga was selling. Trying to get both Mike McLeod and Nic Hague would be pretty sweet. That would be my number one additions.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
A fellow STH said someone mentioned they heard Stanley was actually injured at the World Junior camp. Hope he is back after the break along with Hall.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
A fellow STH said someone mentioned they heard Stanley was actually injured at the World Junior camp. Hope he is back after the break along with Hall.
Miss the last cpl games, just curious how did Peterson look today filling in for Stanley?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Miss the last cpl games, just curious how did Peterson look today filling in for Stanley?

To be honest, Peterson looked like a player who was way behind in his development. For the most part he looked rusty and a little shaky out there in my opinion. Took a big hit on the boards and went off shaken up and I don't think he returned.

What else would we expect when a guy gets to play a game once a month at this level. I had high hopes for him this year after his looking decent in the pre season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think Kitchener is gonna have to roll with Bouchard as our guy, the limited goalie market will make the prices obscene and frankly, we aren't in as bad of a situation as OS. I believe Bouchard has the skill level of a Raymakers or Vilalta.

If I was Kitchener, I'd be focusing on the blueline. I'd be going for one offensive dman and one stay at home dman. Ideally Gentles is on our 3rd pairing with Villatti come playoffs.
This would also mean Garreffa goes back to forward to increase our scoring depth. Tho, if say Mississauga was selling. Trying to get both Mike McLeod and Nic Hague would be pretty sweet. That would be my number one additions.

It looks more and more like we won't be trading for a goaltender. Someone on one of these threads mentioned that Warren Rychel said last night he will not be trading DiPietro at this deadline. As you say Tom, if healthy, Bouchard could be likely as good as anything out there that may be on the market.

What this team really needs is, as you say, a couple of defenseman. I go with two top 4 defenceman. One offencive guy and one stay at home guy just like you say. I also have heard often enough that they are happy with Henderson. But if I were running the show, I'd try and upgrade that overage slot either a F or D. I think that Bunnaman and Damiani need a better offensive player on that line. That would make it a definite scoring threat along with our first line. Is that person Garreffa? If we bring in 2 d-men, he can play back up front on that line.

Then go with a third line of Hugg, Liska and Carter. They've been playing well together as of late.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
To be honest, Peterson looked like a player who was way behind in his development. For the most part he looked rusty and a little shaky out there in my opinion. Took a big hit on the boards and went off shaken up and I don't think he returned.

What else would we expect when a guy gets to play a game once a month at this level. I had high hopes for him this year after his looking decent in the pre season.

Agreed. I did not see the game but for sure, where has Peterson been? You can't develop on the OHL if you don't play......

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Agreed. I did not see the game but for sure, where has Peterson been? You can't develop on the OHL if you don't play......
Peterson sat in the press box mostly I believe but has been playing with the Dutchies lately. He has played five games this year. Anyone thinking the Rangers are going to improve in developing drafted players will be a little old person with hair down to their butt by the time the Rangers catch on. Maybe wasted draft picks are the same league wise. Does this happen with most teams or is it more prevalent here?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Peterson is at the age now where we should know what kind of player he is. Sadly, we don't. He never gets into the lineup unless there are multiple injuries/absences on the D. As a 99 born player, he should be either in the lineup a lot more or cut loose to try and pursue his career elsewhere. Instead, he languishes in limbo. It's obvious that he is not even in McKee's plans. That was evident in his interview right after the Connor Hall injury. He said that Hall being hurt would be a huge loss but we have F- Garreffa who will stay on the blue line as well as York and Ladd available to fill in.

No mention of Peterson. None.

MM has been supposedly been looking to add a d-man since Blaisdell has been traded away.

Crickets

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Peterson is at the age now where we should know what kind of player he is. Sadly, we don't. He never gets into the lineup unless there are multiple injuries/absences on the D. As a 99 born player, he should be either in the lineup a lot more or cut loose to try and pursue his career elsewhere. Instead, he languishes in limbo. It's obvious that he is not even in McKee's plans. That was evident in his interview right after the Connor Hall injury. He said that Hall being hurt would be a huge loss but we have F- Garreffa who will stay on the blue line as well as York and Ladd available to fill in.

No mention of Peterson. None.

MM has been supposedly been looking to add a d-man since Blaisdell has been traded away.

Crickets

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
We're at the Christmas beak. The Rangers' records is 21 wins, 11 losses and 2 overtime losses. good for 44 points.

They are in first place in the Midwest Division. They have the 4th most points in the OHL behing the Soo's 60 points, Sarnia's 52 and Hamilton's 48.

There have been goaltending issues and injuries beyond anyone's control. Opilka, McGonigle, ADB. There have been injuries to defensemen like Hall and Stanley.

Through all this, a team that was predicted to wind up third in our division behind Owen Sound and London is currently sitting in first. Not a bad start in my opinion. Will things stay that way, no one can say. London had a rough start but are putting up wins and may get Mete back. Owen Sound seem to be a good goalie away from rebounding and may have found it in Lafreniere. We have room to improve too and need to make moves if we want to make a run for it this year and have a good draft pick supply to do it with.

I love coming here and seeing the difference of opinions and differing observations. I think a lot of fan bases would love to be where our team is right now in first place in their division and 4th best record in the league. While that's good, I'm not saying it shouldn't be better. I will say they are doing better than I expected and I'm going to enjoy this during the Christmas Break.

Wishing every poster a great Christmas and our team a strong second half.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Something else we discussed back during the preseason: when Opilka's injury was announced, we wanted to see more of Richardson and McGonigle and see if either one is capable for next season.

I think we all know the answer, but next year starts a rebuild so maybe you roll with it

I kind of view it as you have to plan your down years, and really move assets in and out accordingly
You should never stand pat in the OHL.
Always get value for your expiring players if you can

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Something else we discussed back during the preseason: when Opilka's injury was announced, we wanted to see more of Richardson and McGonigle and see if either one is capable for next season.

I think we all know the answer, but next year starts a rebuild so maybe you roll with it

I kind of view it as you have to plan your down years, and really move assets in and out accordingly
You should never stand pat in the OHL.
Always get value for your expiring players if you can

Couldn't agree with you more on this point. But I don't consider the Rangers as sellers. I see more the point that there are a lot of sellers that should sell but still no deals to be found.

I believe Opilka doesn't count towards OA or card unless he plays so thats always a good safety net in case ABD can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->