Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Jeffy essentially covered all I had to say. Giving the Bronx cheer to a kid out there is not cool. But calling Tisi and the rest of the country club on their incompetence is.

I have wondered aloud many times why McHugh gets so little ice time and never in OT. He and Meireles are the two fastest skaters and he's physically engaged and productive way beyond his minutes. But as usual in Ranger-land, nothing is based on merit, but rather some pre-determined pecking order that seems impossible to disrupt with either good or bad play.

A good coach would see that lately Henderson has been useless. I don't mean that as a knock on the kid as he works hard and sacrifices his body but he is nowhere near worthy of the minutes and linemates he gets but not once has he lost a shift all year to mix things up. Meanwhile guys like McHugh who can bring a lot more than Carter, Henderson and arguably Hugg sit on the bench all game every game.

It's an abomination of coaching if you ask me.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Tim, I agree about Henderson. For us to be a contender, there has to be an upgrade on that line. I'm all for going after a high-scoring overager to insert on that line. Henderson is not giving us anything on that line that he could not give us from the fourth line. If he was a couple years younger wouldn't be as bad because you can put him on the fourth line and wait for him to develop but as I said in a prior post about Carter, he is what he is not going to get anything more out of him. He is the type of OA that you send the other way in a deal when a contender is acquiring a high end OA. It's like when we took Lalonde on here when we sent Shutron to Windsor a few years ago.

Truth be told, you can't ignore the production that Mason Kohn has put up since arriving in Saginaw and that team's record as well. I said earlier that I liked the return we got for him at the deadline last year but I think we'd be much better off with him in our lineup instead of Henderson.

And here we go again today in Guelph. Henderson on the second line with Bunnaman and Damiani. Carter playing with the imports while McHugh languishes on the fourth line.

And I suppose we won't see Petizian again until another injury to a forward.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Tim, I agree about Henderson. For us to be a contender, there has to be an upgrade on that line. I'm all for going after a high-scoring overager to insert on that line. Henderson is not giving us anything on that line that he could not give us from the fourth line. If he was a couple years younger wouldn't be as bad because you can put him on the fourth line and wait for him to develop but as I said in a prior post about Carter, he is what he is not going to get anything more out of him. He is the type of OA that you send the other way in a deal when a contender is acquiring a high end OA. It's like when we took Lalonde on here when we sent Shutron to Windsor a few years ago.

Truth be told, you can't ignore the production that Mason Kohn has put up since arriving in Saginaw and that team's record as well. I said earlier that I liked the return we got for him at the deadline last year but I think we'd be much better off with him in our lineup instead of Henderson.

And here we go again today in Guelph. Henderson on the second line with Bunnaman and Damiani. Carter playing with the imports while McHugh languishes on the fourth line.

And I suppose we won't see Petizian again until another injury to a forward.
Yes, but Carter has a hat trick at the end of the 2nd period!

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Well,
Wasn't that a nice change of pace

Rangers played well and their depth players really stepped up.
Liska-Meireles-Carter was our best line, but the others were clicking as well

Liked seeing the 4th line getting some extra time and PP ice as well. Can only help down the line to get them playing more. Same with Ladd, who though not hugely impressive had a better game today

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Good to see the Rangers dominate another squad especially the Storm our highway seven rival. Lines were all clicking. Sometimes those Teddy Bear games get into the players heads because they have to get that part out of the way. Carter had a hell of a game today.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Great game today up highway 7! Glad to see a full 60 minutes. Everyone seemed to be going today and even when Guelph seemed to get a little of something going the Rangers had an answer every time!

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Credit where credit is due. Not just a great road game by the rangers, a great game period. Hope our guys learned a few lessons in regards to work ethic.

Mar 12, 2009
It was an exciting game. Whole team played well and nobody got injured which was a small concern when the Storm got frustrated and choppy.

I do have to chuckle a bit when players others and/or I have criticized or suggested should should be used elsewhere in the lineup come out and have a great game immediately after. Carter had the best game I've seen him in as a Ranger. Henderson also contributing more than he had in a while. Credit where cried is due to those two, if they can prove critics (myself included) wrong the rest of the year I'll be more than happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BogeyJ

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I do have to chuckle a bit when players others and/or I have criticized or suggested should should be used elsewhere in the lineup come out and have a great game immediately after. Carter had the best game I've seen him in as a Ranger. Henderson also contributing more than he had in a while. Credit where cried is due to those two, if they can prove critics (myself included) wrong the rest of the year I'll be more than happy.

I noticed that too. If that's all it takes then I think the whole bunch of them are terrible ;)

Seriously though, I hope there has been a wake-up call. Consistency is a major issue for this team. I know it's a major issue in junior hockey period, but the true contending teams seem to avoid that. How many prolonged periods of sloppy play do you see from Soo? Or last year from Owen Sound and Erie? Kitchener is loaded for this season, so I think fans want to see a good long stretch of crisp, impressive play.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
The Mete situation changes the division a little bit, if he's returned London is in a similar position as we are with most of their top players turning over next year.

Could be an interesting month until the deadline!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Would it be difficult to obtain tickets for Friday and/or Sunday just prior to puck drop?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah Tom. If Mete is returned, they'll be looking for comparably the same types of upgrades. Someone on their team thread mentioned another top 4 D, two F's and a back up goalie.

Our wish list (rather, my wish list) is more expensive. One quality F, two top 4 D, and IMO, a #1 goalie.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
The Mete situation changes the division a little bit, if he's returned London is in a similar position as we are with most of their top players turning over next year.

Could be an interesting month until the deadline!

London may have a great get in Mete returning.. But even with him they still can't roll 4 lines imo. The hunter dolphin dives only work so often and that' where Mete shines.. on the pp.

Even tho he may not have seen as much pp time with MTL...

I doubt he gets returned, and hope he leads team CAN to gold along side Stanley.

The only plus I see for Mete is to win gold and return to MTL thereafter. Imo he wouldnt be playing deep enough in the ohl thereafter with ldn .. so again imo ldnd doesn't warrant the depth for development for him.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
London is 14-6 in their last 20 games. After their bad start, they've been a pretty good team. Mete only makes them a lot better. Don't kid yourself. They make some additions, they will make some noise in the playoffs if they can avoid the Soo in the first round. That shouldn't be much trouble. I don't see them below 7th spot at seasons end. Especially when you consider Windsor, maybe Saginaw and likely Guelph will sell off vets at the deadline.

I can make the argument that any one of Kit, Sar, OS and yes Lon could get to the 3rd round to play the Soo who I'm assuming will get there. .

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
London may have a great get in Mete returning.. But even with him they still can't roll 4 lines imo. The hunter dolphin dives only work so often and that' where Mete shines.. on the pp.

Even tho he may not have seen as much pp time with MTL...

I doubt he gets returned, and hope he leads team CAN to gold along side Stanley.

The only plus I see for Mete is to win gold and return to MTL thereafter. Imo he wouldnt be playing deep enough in the ohl thereafter with ldn .. so again imo ldnd doesn't warrant the depth for development for him.
lol wishful thinking???? go look at his ice time from game 10 till now and I think your opinion will change. The only way I see him going back is if the injury bug hits Montreal's D. It'll be fun to watch for knights fans not so much for the rest of the western conference.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The Rangers domination of Guelph on Sunday was impressive. Guelph has been coming on the past few weeks with the latest, a 6-3 dumping of Owen Sound. In the interviews after Sunday's 10-3 thumping, players were citing this as true Rangers hockey and that they were committed to it going forward. I couldn't agree more and yes, let's see all them hop on this train and never look back. I'd like to see the same intensity and all round contribution this Friday when Rangers have an opportunity to return the favour at the Aud.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
From a blog Around the OHL, players that went to the Q:
Dylan Seitz
– A 15th round pick of the Rangers in 2015 spent last year with Kitchener, has 19 points in 25 games with Moncton.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
OwenSound made a weird trade IMO.
Gave up assets for something not much better then what he currently has in net.

Prices for established goalies must be extremely high and very limited this might be why we are hanging onto Bouchard. Might not really be other better options

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Brock Otten has released his Trade Deadline predictions, he predicts we trade for
DiPietro
McEneny
Sambrook

Michael Dipietro - Windsor Spitfires
Let's get this straight, the Spitfires do not have to deal Dipietro. He'll return to the OHL next year as a 19 year old and will still have a ton of value. But if you want to rebuild and want a solid draft pick, this guy is so good that he can keep you from getting a top 5 pick. I think a deal involving him just makes sense for them right now, especially if they can get one heck of a return. Problem is, there's really only one suitor for him in Kitchener. But I see the Rangers as all in this year and have the resources to get the deal done.
Prediction: Dipietro goes to Kitchener (with McEneny) in exchange for Luke Richardson, Grayson Ladd, SAG 2 2018, Kingston 2nd 2019, Mississauga 2nd 2021, Oshawa 3rd 2021, Windsor 2nd 2023, Windsor 2nd 2024

Sambrook
Sambrook is a very solid two-way defender who has a ton of playoff experience and would fit right into the top 4 of any OHL contender. The price is also likely to be high, but he could make a huge difference. I see Hamilton, Peterborough, Sault Ste. Marie, Kitchener, and Sarnia as the most likely destinations. Peterborough would make a lot of sense, as everyone knows they need to add to their blueline and they have some quality 2000's to add to any deal. But I actually think Sambrook ends up in Kitchener. I think that the Rangers could use another mobile, puck mover. And with Connor Hall's injury, Sambrook's addition would come at an ideal time with Kitchener going all in. There is the slight chance that Erie holds on to Sambrook if they feel that he won't get signed and returns as an OA. But I think, even then, the best thing to do would be to deal him and maximize on the return.
Prediction: Sambrook goes to Kitchener in exchange for Eric Guest, SSM 2nd 2018, BAR 3rd 2019, MIS 3rd 2020, Kitchener 3rd 2022

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
How would you react to paying those prices?

Honestly, I don't see anyway we don't buy big this year. It has to be this year for us

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I have no issue paying those prices for those players.

Once you include the picks that will come back from Barrie in the Tortora deal, we have 13 second round picks in the next nine drafts. We have 1o third round picks in the next nine drafts. Then add the conditional 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounder from Missy in the Rippon deal, and we have a full cupboard.

Once the dust settles after these trades, we would still have a decent number of second and third round picks over the next few years. That includes a second round pick and 2 third round picks in the 2018 OHL draft which from all accounts is supposed to be a very strong one in the first four rounds.

AND, depending on how we look next year, we would have DiPietro to possibly move for a huge return to replenish the cupboard.

McKee may have an issue though. How would he be able to keep Garreffa on the blue line with McEneny and Sambrook coming aboard? Especially if Hall returns down the line somewhere?

I kid of course. But these deals would allow us to put Garreffa back up front again giving us a deeper forward group.

Question: Since Windsor will be picking up second round picks in some of these deals that Brock has predicted they make, I suppose that means the conditions on the WIN 2nd in 2025 that we received in the Bracco deal can be met.

Just using Brock's predictions as something to go by, he has Windsor picking up 5 second round picks outside of the ones that we'd be sending them in the DiPietro/McEneny deals. Surely one of those picks would come our way in exchange for the conditional pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->