Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Ok MacKenzie. We've seen enough. It's time to go get us a decent goaltender. As a matter fact, maybe go get a back up too. I have zero confidence in either one of these guys.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Rangers started the game with a two goal lead. Fans had the illusion that maybe it would in the very least be a normal game. Afterall they were playing Flint. One of the teams struggling at the bottom of the standings. As per usual that idea went out the window in minutes. Richardson came in and held the fort but Flint still looked far more solid to me than the Rangers. If that game wasn't the perfect definition of boring I will eat my Funk and Wagnall. Even though McGonigle quickly put the team behind many of the Rangers looked like passengers. As an example. Bunner should be banging opponents at 220 pounds yet he skates around looking for rebounds that aren't there. A good coach would be aware of these discrepancies. Mash who has been banging in a few goals lately has cost us some by trying to beat guys one on one. Even Wayne Gretzky never tried that as much as Mash does. Stanley has huge issues getting pucks out of the defensive zone. My point is these are some of the leaders and if McKee can't get these guys on the right page the issue is more than goal tending. At this moment in time the Rangers look no better than any team they have played lately be it a top or bottom squad.

Reactions: GeoBlue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Part of Brown's blog on the goalie situation:

It’s the fourth time the Rangers have yanked their starter in the past seven games.

- The team is banking on the return of OA goalie Anthony Dumont-Bouchard who, at a best case scenario, could be back just before Christmas.

- But with ADB’s injury history (he has had head/neck issues) the team has to be looking at an emergency option. Lots of fans want to see the team go all out for Windsor’s Michael DiPietro. The problem there is that he doesn’t seem to be available this season.

- One goalie that would cost less and is likely to be up for grabs is Saginaw’s Evan Cormier, who has a 2.91 GAA and .909 save percentage playing for the youngest team in the OHL. Just pointing him out as an option, not saying he's the answer.

- The Rangers also have netminder Lucas Pfeil, but the 16-year-old is with the Jr. B Kitchener Dutchmen where he is 2-7 with a 4.22 GAA and .859 save percentage. He’s more of a long term option and would do well to get a year of action under his belt on the B loop

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Bobber, what the heck is a Funk And Wagnall?

I know it wasn't pretty, but it was another win. Fans of other teams would be happy that their team is in first place in the division. Let's remember that at the start of the season most predicted our division would have Owen Sound in 1st, London in 2nd and Kitchener in 3rd.

There are definitely some improvements and changes needed to be made. There will be trades. A strong goaltender will make a huge difference as will another stud d-man and another scorer.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
We've been spoiled with good goaltending in the past. Most junior goalies go through bad streaks, unfortunately Richy and Mcgonigle are both going through it at the same time. I know it's not something we've seen in a while but it doesn't mean you give the Bronx Cheer to a couple of teenage boys after an easy save. Furthermore, if some of the people in the crowd who did that are aware of Mcgonigle's injury past, you should just find something else to do on a Friday night. Be an adult.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Bobber, what the heck is a Funk And Wagnall?

I know it wasn't pretty, but it was another win. Fans of other teams would be happy that their team is in first place in the division. Let's remember that at the start of the season most predicted our division would have Owen Sound in 1st, London in 2nd and Kitchener in 3rd.

There are definitely some improvements and changes needed to be made. There will be trades. A strong goaltender will make a huge difference as will another stud d-man and another scorer.
Sheila I really hope you are correct in your assumptions. As a fan we all want the best and most exciting hockey. I was more relieved they won last night than happy because with the hype this year it would be embarrassing to lose to Flint. In saying that I think Flint has some talented young men. Big too. I have a Funk and Wagnalls handbook of Synonyms , Antonyms & Prepositions. I think they printed dictionaries also. I never realized I had one when I typed that now I might have to eat my words:eek:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
We've been spoiled with good goaltending in the past. Most junior goalies go through bad streaks, unfortunately Richy and Mcgonigle are both going through it at the same time. I know it's not something we've seen in a while but it doesn't mean you give the Bronx Cheer to a couple of teenage boys after an easy save. Furthermore, if some of the people in the crowd who did that are aware of Mcgonigle's injury past, you should just find something else to do on a Friday night. Be an adult.
Also along with McGonigles injuries, he what....played 3 maybe 4 games last yr before being injured. Then missing over a yr of OHL hockey then thrown right into game action in the OHL without any game action down in B. Not sure what to really expect from him under those conditions. Don't boo him but the management for putting him in under those conditions!

* but he had to stop 2 out of those 3 goals...injuries or not!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Also along with McGonigles injuries, he what....played 3 maybe 4 games last yr before being injured. Then missing over a yr of OHL hockey then thrown right into game action in the OHL without any game action down in B. Not sure what to really expect from him under those conditions. Don't boo him but the management for putting him in under those conditions!

I thought I saw the goalie coach and his entourage coming out on the ice once but it was the "Just Junk ice crew". Sorry for stealing your joke Ward!!! Keep em coming!

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015

I definitely agree. He seemed nervous, which is weird after he played so well on national television last month. I think he knew if he did well last night, he was probably going to get to keep playing until he had a bad game. Not to embarrass him or anything, but he looked like he was on the verge of tears when he got to the bench. I give him credit for taking his helmet off immediately and not sulking on the bench. That's why the Bronx Cheer really pissed me off. I don't want to make it bigger than it is, but that's something that kind of embarrasses me as a Ranger season ticket holder. It's like when fans felt like booing Bracco and Bailey when they came back after dropping their no-trade clause to help the team rebuild. I was talking to a very nice couple in my section who came up from the Genesee area for the game and they looked disgusted when that happened. Just saying. You think they're happy with Forrest's play last night? Doesn't mean you let him know about it.
I remember when the fans booed Kindl for something and Deboer called out the fans on the radio after the game. I thought that was great, was hoping McKee did something along those lines.

Something I did find funny last night was the post-game McKee interview (again). Farwell asked him how to help the goalies' confidence (after McKee brought it up). And he completely stumbled over the answer, ending it with "well, Tisi is one of the hardest workers in the dressing room." Name me one goalie he has helped improve over the years.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
Also how much ice did the 4th line get after their hard-working goal in the 2nd? They don't get rewarded as much as they should in my opinion.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Also how much ice did the 4th line get after their hard-working goal in the 2nd? They don't get rewarded as much as they should in my opinion.
McHugh had one of the highest shot percentages on the team at one time last year with limited ice and probably getting less this year. Still he is stuck behind the imports and others. He seemed to get a lot of short handed break aways last year. I thought it curious that the coach said the team is still working on getting their confidence back after incurring bad goal tending for the last few games. Last night was no different at the start. I agree Jeffy about the fans razzing a goal tender. It is an embarrassment. Bienkowski sits up there in his perch. Can he not see these kids are being hung out to dry by a lack of proper instruction. There is something missing in that area of coaching for sure.

Hockey2314

Aug 15, 2017
McHugh had one of the highest shot percentages on the team at one time last year with limited ice and probably getting less this year. Still he is stuck behind the imports and others. He seemed to get a lot of short handed break aways last year. I thought it curious that the coach said the team is still working on getting their confidence back after incurring bad goal tending for the last few games. Last night was no different at the start. I agree Jeffy about the fans razzing a goal tender. It is an embarrassment. Bienkowski sits up there in his perch. Can he not see these kids are being hung out to dry by a lack of proper instruction. There is something missing in that area of coaching for sure.
I think that same 3rd line, with goal about 10 minute ice time.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
McHugh had one of the highest shot percentages on the team at one time last year with limited ice and probably getting less this year. Still he is stuck behind the imports and others. .

He was ranked #145 for the NHL draft last year, is one of the hardest workers on the team, but can't get off his junior team's 4th line. Hmm :huh:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
My beef last (well had a few) but with needing goal in the last 6 minutes he had Henderson out there........why????

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
My beef last (well had a few) but with needing goal in the last 6 minutes he had Henderson out there........why????

Because he likes Henderson(personally). Same reason he puts Garreffa out at critical situations. They both come across as good, easy-going kids. He gets along with them so he gives them ice. I seriously believe that's the way McKee thinks..

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'd have thought that McHugh would have been a little higher on the pecking order by now as well. Especially considering his play the last couple years. Always a threat to score shorthanded and works his rear end off every shift. He seems to relish going to the dirty areas and likes to mix it up here and there. Truth be told, I believe he should have been in Carter's place on the line with the imports last night. And give him Carter's PP time too. He's a year younger and therefore has some upside. Carter on the other hand is what he is. I don't think we'll get anything more out of him. Sure he works his rear end off too. But it's about time the powers that be made some tough decisions regarding a few issues, Carter being one of them. If we were to upgrade at the trade deadline by bringing in a forward, he will be the guy I will pull out of the lineup.

As the roster sits now, I liked Meireles playing between Sherwood and Mascherin. The Bunnaman line should stay intact (though an upgrade of the OA F on this line would be huge). I would have McHugh playing with the imports, and I bring Petizian into the lineup to play on the fourth line with Guest and Yantsis. Carter could be brought in and out of the lineup on the 4th line. In fact. I have a hard time today scratching Petizian based on his play. The same can be said I think these days for Yantsis as well.

Reactions: Torgo

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Totally agree about McGonigle. He misses basically an entire season of hockey and you don't throw him into some Jr B games to prepare him to move into A again? Like baseball.....they play a bit in the minors before coming back to the show. McGonigle had that one shot and scored on himself. He was trying to bat it over the net and instead, it stayed with his glove and arced into the net. While it was awarded to the Flint player, it wasn't shot in. The other two goals? Yup, should have had them.

And Richardson.....when he's on.....he's on.....and despite the opinions I've heard or read, could be a solid goaltender BUT he's not consistent OR takes time to settle into the game. Maybe it's time for a new goaltending coach?? Just saying. Once again, development is not happening.

I thought Meireles ramped it up with Sherwood and Mash. Can we please leave a line together long enough to develop some chemistry?? It's like Smith all over again. And up....Petizian needs to be playing. If you want Guest in then sorry Carter, you're out. OR a player who's not giving it.

And not one penalty to Flint last night? Seriously. How many times did we see a Ranger trying to pull their stick out when in front of the Flint net but couldn't because it was being held?? No calls and they kept doing it. Why wouldn't they? Brown points out that Flint had no penalties. That doesn't mean there weren't any. Sigh.

Side note.....Opilka is following the team as noted by his tweets. He doesn't seem to be giving up that he's not on the team and of all people, he should know. I do wish we would hear more on his situation. Even still, IF he came back would he just start up where he left off???

Guelph tomorrow......and THEY are going to play....then the Soo on Friday. You'd think Rangers would be up for this game. We'll see.

Mar 12, 2009
I'd have thought that McHugh would have been a little higher on the pecking order by now as well. Especially considering his play the last couple years. Always a threat to score shorthanded and works his rear end off every shift. He seems to relish going to the dirty areas and likes to mix it up here and there. Truth be told, I believe he should have been in Carter's place on the line with the imports last night. And give him Carter's PP time too. He's a year younger and therefore has some upside. Carter on the other hand is what he is. I don't think we'll get anything more out of him. Sure he works his rear end off too. But it's about time the powers that be made some tough decisions regarding a few issues, Carter being one of them. If we were to upgrade at the trade deadline by bringing in a forward, he will be the guy I will pull out of the lineup.

As the roster sits now, I liked Meireles playing between Sherwood and Mascherin. The Bunnaman line should stay intact (though an upgrade of the OA F on this line would be huge). I would have McHugh playing with the imports, and I bring Petizian into the lineup to play on the fourth line with Guest and Yantsis. Carter could be brought in and out of the lineup on the 4th line. In fact. I have a hard time today scratching Petizian based on his play. The same can be said I think these days for Yantsis as well.
Totally agree about mchugh and carter swapping places. I've been thinking the same the last few weeks. Mchugh has almost same number of points as Carter but is on the 4th line with no PP time.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Side note.....Opilka is following the team as noted by his tweets. He doesn't seem to be giving up that he's not on the team and of all people, he should know. I do wish we would hear more on his situation. Even still, IF he came back would he just start up where he left off???

Opilka won't be back. Teams have to cut down to 3 OAs in early January. No way he could prove himself to be physically fit enough to carry as an OA even if he was close to coming back.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Opilka won't be back. Teams have to cut down to 3 OAs in early January. No way he could prove himself to be physically fit enough to carry as an OA even if he was close to coming back.
Apparently Brown tweeted something to the effect that Opilka is a "free protection" as an injured player when someone questioned his status with the Rangers. What ever that means.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Apparently Brown tweeted something to the effect that Opilka is a "free protection" as an injured player when someone questioned his status with the Rangers. What ever that means.

Thank you bobber. Didn't know that. I assume if he can come back they would have to release another OA. Still a long road ahead for him though. I wonder what the return protocol would be? Would they have to release another OA his first game back?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Personally I think we have seen the last of Luke in net here. I think it's more of a loyalty issue. MM has a big decision to make coming up in net. Presently it's a mess. It will be interesting how he works his way past.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Looking at the Rangers roster our D is not really comparable to any of the top squads by a long shot. Ladd and York are rookies. Gentles is a smart Dman but at 166 a light weight. Vallati has dropped in the draft rankings a bit because he regressed by not going to the dirty areas he went to last season. Peterson is on the roster but has become the "invisible man". (Never could see that guy:)) Playing for the Sugar Kings. Stanley and Hall are tough and play on the edge. Hall has shoulder problems which never bodes well for Ranger players. Then we have Joey G a forward playing big minutes and putting up points but with his size he would become a huge target in the play offs. My point. This defense IMHO will not take the Rangers too far unless MM can find a way to strengthen it:popcorn:.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This is an observation from Hockey Future scout Dylan Galloway on Vallati this season as compared to last:
Vallati is an excellent skater but in my viewings, he's looked more like a passenger on the play rather than someone who can take control of it." - Dylan Galloway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->