Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I agree with Melrose. But we have a problem. We can fire the head coach and promote from within. In other words, we do the same old same old. Would that make any difference? Or we can clean house altogether. But the problem with that is that we are midseason and any coach we'd bring in is already employed somewhere else.

To be fair, I think the same old same old went out the door with MM getting the GM position. Yes, that in itself was hiring from within but if he fires McKee, I don't see Karlsson or Wideman getting the job. MM is pretty level headed, I don't think we give him enough credit in observing the team, he knows there is a coaching issue. He has already cleaned 2/3 of the house, so I wouldn't put it past him to finish it off. You are right though, midseason firing doesn't do good for anybody.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm willing to give MacKenzie all the time and credit in the world. My question though is does he have total control or does he have to take directive from Steve B. Steve B has said in the past that the Rangers are a development team for players but for coaches as well. He encourages promoting from within.

Here's hoping Steve B has given MM the keys and allows him total autonomy. But I'm skeptical. That hasn't happened here since DeBoer.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I'm willing to give MacKenzie all the time and credit in the world. My question though is does he have total control or does he have to take directive from Steve B. Steve B has said in the past that the Rangers are a development team for players but for coaches as well. He encourages promoting from within.

Here's hoping Steve B has given MM the keys and allows him total autonomy. But I'm skeptical. That hasn't happened here since DeBoer.

This is very true. A very sad truth

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
With Stanley going to the WJ camp, does that mean Peterson can finally get some playing time? Or will McKee drop another forward back to the blue line again?
Rangers D Alex Peterson has been playing for the Elmira Sugar Kings in the GOJHL but is still with the Rangers and was up in the press box watching Tuesday.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Hate to say it but the way this team is coached and with extremely weak goaltending and defense even Wayne Gretzky playing here couldn't help. Windsor had two or more of it's top players missing and still ran over our "contender " like a freight train. The shame of this is we have Mascherin, Sherwood, Bunner, Stanley, Garreffa Damiani. All but Damiani and Joey G are gone next season and they can't put together a solid game at the Aud. Passing last night was brutal. At the very least should the goal tending coach not be questioned? MM better get this sorted out fast because it will be years before the team has talented players like those mentioned again. I am not sold on him either. Windsor was scouting here last night.

Whilst I agree with most of what you have said here, I wouldn't count Mascherin out being back next season as an OA. He hasn't signed yet.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
How would you rate Logan Stanley? Is he capable of winning the defenseman of the year award/ 1st team all star?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
How would you rate Logan Stanley? Is he capable of winning the defenseman of the year award/ 1st team all star?
I love having Stanley here on his home town team banging opposing players into oblivion. Rangers needed a player like that for years.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Well last year's 3rd leading scorer in the OHL has managed to not get an invite to the WJC camp so that's a step in that direction. Another example of the state of player development in Kitchener.
Exactly! This is why Ranger players are on the NHL radar. Vallati one of two Rangers ranked has taken a step backwards this season according to scouting reports because he is not as aggressive and getting involved in the play as much as last season. I guess Mascherin missing the evaluation camp because of surgery never helped his cause either. I feel for the kid that he never got the invite but in hindsight the Rangers are lost without his production.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
To be fair to Mash, Owen Tippett also didn't get an invite and he played NHL games this year. HC seems to have a clear idea of who they want on the team this year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Last night Sarnia took a beating against the Soo. The Soo even scored two shorties. Could someone tell me what MM would have to do with this club in order to compete with a power house team like the Hounds? If the Hounds add by the deadline a lot of teams that are "pretenders" will be toast especially in the west. I doubt any eastern team could beat them but one will get to the finals and earn play off revenue on the way.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Brown is trying to give the fans some Christmas cheer. He is smart though. Never said what year.

Hopefully Hall is back after Xmas as they said, or at least by playoffs

As far as Bouchard is considered
Time to move on, his health has been about as reliable as Hall's over the last couple seasons.

All aboard the Luchuk - DiPietro train!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
bobber, the Soo can be beat. Sure we got bombed by them the last time we visited them, but I can make a case that we could beat them in a seven game series.

They beat us up pretty good last time up in the Soo but look who we're playing between the pipes. We visited the Soo in October and from what I understand they had everybody who matters in their lineup. With decidedly better goaltending, we lost by one goal in a tight game. And that was before Sherwood, arguably our best forward, came on board.

If we had high-end goaltending, anything is possible. I contend if we did "jump on that DiPietro/Luchuk train", and then add a quality d-man along with a depth d-man, we could be right up there with the Soo. As far as I'm concerned, with average or above average goaltending, half of our losses would have been wins this season.

The Soo is on a pretty good run right now with the 15 game winning streak. But it could be argued that that winning streak is a little bit artificial. Seven of those wins came against Flint, Sudbury, and North Bay - not exactly tough competition. Sure you have to win the games, but they do have a decidedly soft schedule when you get to play extra games against North Bay and Sudbury.

Reactions: BogeyJ

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
bobber, the Soo can be beat. Sure we got bombed by them the last time we visited them, but I can make a case that we could beat them in a seven game series.

They beat us up pretty good last time up in the Soo but look who we're playing between the pipes. We visited the Soo in October and from what I understand they had everybody who matters in their lineup. With decidedly better goaltending, we lost by one goal in a tight game. And that was before Sherwood, arguably our best forward, came on board.

If we had high-end goaltending, anything is possible. I contend if we did "jump on that DiPietro/Luchuk train", and then add a quality d-man along with a depth d-man, we could be right up there with the Soo. As far as I'm concerned, with average or above average goaltending, half of our losses would have been wins this season.

The Soo is on a pretty good run right now with the 15 game winning streak. But it could be argued that that winning streak is a little bit artificial. Seven of those wins came against Flint, Sudbury, and North Bay - not exactly tough competition. Sure you have to win the games, but they do have a decidedly soft schedule when you get to play extra games against North Bay and Sudbury.
Some good points EvenSteven. The goaltending has been brutal lately and it effects the whole organization. The Rangers are not as bad as they look in some of these games lately simply because the team has lost all it's confidence watching this tandem in net. Some shots would beat any goalie. It's the ridiculously simple shots these two have let in that even an average tender would stop. Out goalies have left the building when you look at the OHL stat sheet. Personally as a long time STH I would love to see DiPietro here. Anything else would be gravy. MM should give the 7000 fans here something for coming out to every game. Other franchises would drool over that attendance.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just thought I'd throw this out there:

Since Mason Kohn's arrival in Saginaw, the Spirit have a 10-3 record and he has 17 points over that time.

It seems to me that his acquisition by Saginaw could've been the turning point for their season. Wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of offence in our lineup? He is on a 1.31 per game scoring pace in Saginaw. Nobody in Kitchener can boast that.

I know we got good return for him at last year's trade deadline (a 2nd and two 3rds), but I would take his game right now over that of Henderson any day week. He plays the same defensive game as Henderson but with offence and more tenacity.

houndsfan19

Sep 19, 2017
Well evensteven..when talking about playing Sudbury and North Bay on an easy schedule.(Sudbury always plays us tough) I see that Rangers lost both games when visiting those two cities. You failed to mention the wins against the teams playing above .500 including back to back wins against formerly #1 ranked in canada sarnica sting.. Oh ya and the rangers, ..team speed...defence.. ..passing..Kitchener couldn't compete, .even with Sherwood.

Reactions: soo hound girl

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I never said the Soo wasn't a good team. I never said the Soo didn't play any tough teams during the 15-0 streak. I pointed out that 7 of 15 came vs the worst teams in the league.

As far as the Rangers losing to North Bay and Sudbury, our goaltending is in a shambles and the purpose of my post was to point out that an upgrade on net would put this team on the right track and could give the Soo a good run in a seven game series.

When you have goaltending that allows the easiest of goals on a regular basis, it affects the confidence of the team and therefore, affects team play as a whole. You can work your butt off to try and score only to have your goalies allow soft goals left and right. Many times goals that a ten year old would have stopped. Kind of takes the wind out of your sails.

Right now, it's obvious the Rangers are playing like they have zero confidence in their goaltending. It's affecting their play big time.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
To be fair to Mash, Owen Tippett also didn't get an invite and he played NHL games this year. HC seems to have a clear idea of who they want on the team this year.

Also, the third leading scorer this season is Morgan Frost and he was not invited. That Mascherin was not invited is no indictment of the Rangers player development. Sometimes they just make very puzzling decisions like Formenton and leave off far better OHL players. They know more than we do I guess.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Also, the third leading scorer this season is Morgan Frost and he was not invited. That Mascherin was not invited is no indictment of the Rangers player development. Sometimes they just make very puzzling decisions like Formenton and leave off far better OHL players. They know more than we do I guess.

I don't think anyone is"puzzled" as to Mascherin not making Team Canada over Formenton. Formenton is producing at a higher rate and is a much more rounded player that can be used on the pk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->