Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Finally the real hockey begins. With all the over analyzing, whining and arguing over this team, the Rangers go into the playoffs with the 2nd seed and some players with mem cup experience. Not a lot of teams can say that. This team needs the fans behind them, hopefully they show up.
We will be there for sure. Some of the fans around us quit buying play off tickets a few years ago. I think it's the best time of the season with a lot on the line. Haters are going to hate. We already dislike Sarnia so that is a start.:thumbu:
Also Happy St. Patrick's Day to all the Irish fans like myself !

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
My friend who isn't a huge hockey fan enjoyed the game last night. lol And it was a fun little scrimmage until the refs decided to call penalties mid-way through the 3rd and ruined it. What a crock. There were far worse infractions on both sides earlier in the game that were totally ignored. Why then?

And somehow I don't think the Rangers (no matter what they say) wanted Guelph in the first round. Let them bash away at one of their opponents instead. ;)

Nice to see Vuks get his first OHL goal. He's a stud already and going to step right in as a top 2 next season. Same for all the young ones. So glad MM didn't sell the farm.

But.....whole new game starting next Friday!!! I too hope the fans turn out. It's going to be exciting hockey for sure.

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
Disinterested. That’s the best word I can come up with to describe the effort last night. But to be honest, I wasn’t all that excited for the game either. I’m not thrilled that we’re going into the playoffs on a three game slide but I can’t wait for the playoffs to start! I really think this team has what it takes for an exciting run well into April.

And how about that 50/50 jackpot last night? I was three numbers off!

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rangers played like they didn't care if they won. I believe they want Windsor in round one. Least experienced team. Especially on D. We'll overwhelm their young D and be too much for DiPietro. We've scored 4.5 goals on him this year. He's been ordinary at best vs the Rangers.

Just my opinion.

And we haven't played Windsor since the deadline. Since then, they've lost Day, Luchuk, Vilardi, Brown, and McEneny.

We've added, Brown, McEneny, Smith, Culina, and Vukojevic.

We're a much better team and they are much worse.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Rangers played like they didn't care if they won. I believe they want Windsor in round one. Least experienced team. Especially on D. We'll overwhelm their young D and be too much for DiPietro. We've scored 4.5 goals on him this year. He's been ordinary at best vs the Rangers.

Just my opinion.

And we haven't played Windsor since the deadline. Since then, they've lost Day, Luchuk, Vilardi, Brown, and McEneny.

We've added, Brown, McEneny, Smith, Culina, and Vukojevic.

We're a much better team and they are much worse.

Bingo!

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
So we came so close to this being the first one-contender season by my OHL contention metric since 2004-05, but Sarnia just squeaked over the line. The Rangers finish as a "fringe contender", the kind of team that can make some noise in the post-season, maybe upset a contender, but that hasn't won the OHL in modern times.

Now, it's fair to argue that the Rangers aren't really a 90-point "true talent" team--they're obviously much better with the deadline additions, and even Sherwood wasn't here the whole year. But you can say that about a lot of fringe contenders in the modern OHL, and they didn't get the job done.

All that said, I'm excited for the playoffs and will be picking up tickets for all of the Sarnia games (and hopefully any Soo games that happen!). Also, I wouldn't sleep on Even's "tired Greyhounds" theory--OS has looked like the team we were all expecting them to be lately. With decent goaltending, they could push SSM in R2 (although they'll need to get past London first).

Guelph, Windsor, and Saginaw obviously have no* chance.

*i.e. less than 5%

Reactions: jmkrangers

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
So we came so close to this being the first one-contender season by my OHL contention metric since 2004-05, but Sarnia just squeaked over the line. The Rangers finish as a "fringe contender", the kind of team that can make some noise in the post-season, maybe upset a contender, but that hasn't won the OHL in modern times.

Now, it's fair to argue that the Rangers aren't really a 90-point "true talent" team--they're obviously much better with the deadline additions, and even Sherwood wasn't here the whole year. But you can say that about a lot of fringe contenders in the modern OHL, and they didn't get the job done.

All that said, I'm excited for the playoffs and will be picking up tickets for all of the Sarnia games (and hopefully any Soo games that happen!). Also, I wouldn't sleep on Even's "tired Greyhounds" theory--OS has looked like the team we were all expecting them to be lately. With decent goaltending, they could push SSM in R2 (although they'll need to get past London first).

*i.e. less than 5%

Here is another positive spin..........Remember all those games early in the season when Richardson couldn't stop a deflated beach ball from getting by him? Had we won those games, I think we could have easily broke the 100 point barrier.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
There is no getting around the fact that the Soo is as solid a hockey team we have seen this year. Not many observable weaknesses. They will be a challenge for any team in Canada to defeat in a seven game series. I think the only Achilles heal they might have is the trap. If a team can play a solid defensive game and use the trap effectively they might give them a run. The Rangers trapped for a couple of periods when they played here last and it seem to disrupt their chemistry. I think an opposing team will need solid goaltending also. It will take some intelligent coaching to put them away for sure. There will be some upsets this coming play offs and that will change the outlook going forward.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Bobber, you hit the key word on your post "coaching". The playoffs is when you see the type of strategy that is mapped out for the team and then you see the ability of a coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments as they pass through the various stages of each series. We seem to have the horses but I am skeptical about how the coaching staff will perform. Good coaching can make or break an even series.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Bobber, you hit the key word on your post "coaching". The playoffs is when you see the type of strategy that is mapped out for the team and then you see the ability of a coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments as they pass through the various stages of each series. We seem to have the horses but I am skeptical about how the coaching staff will perform. Good coaching can make or break an even series.

Coaching has been brought up here and there on this forum and it is a concern. Yes, we have the horses but if we don't get past the 2nd round, I think we will see changes this coming off season.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
There is no getting around the fact that the Soo is as solid a hockey team we have seen this year. Not many observable weaknesses. They will be a challenge for any team in Canada to defeat in a seven game series. I think the only Achilles heal they might have is the trap. If a team can play a solid defensive game and use the trap effectively they might give them a run. The Rangers trapped for a couple of periods when they played here last and it seem to disrupt their chemistry. I think an opposing team will need solid goaltending also. It will take some intelligent coaching to put them away for sure. There will be some upsets this coming play offs and that will change the outlook going forward.
Fischaber commented on the Soo thread that the teams that give the Hounds the most difficulty are the ones that 'dump and chase' (e.g. Windsor, Sudbury) while the teams that opt for a 'puck possession' style of play usually get outplayed. I cannot confirm this, but I trust his judgement. I wish they'd televise more Soo games. If any teams can give the Hounds a run for their money, it will be Kitchener and Sarnia.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
*i.e. less than 5%

I hope the Sting don't go into the playoffs looking past round one (again). Likewise the Rangers and Soo; there's more parity than the stats suggest IMO and some potential for any team to come out flying and upset. Looking forward to catching a lot of good games.

Reactions: ScoresFromCentre

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Fischaber commented on the Soo thread that the teams that give the Hounds the most difficulty are the ones that 'dump and chase' (e.g. Windsor, Sudbury) while the teams that opt for a 'puck possession' style of play usually get outplayed. I cannot confirm this, but I trust his judgement. I wish they'd televise more Soo games. If any teams can give the Hounds a run for their money, it will be Kitchener and Sarnia.
Hi Nelli. When I mentioned coaching in the post above I always think about a coach that seems to find ways to adjust to opposing team's systems. I think of Dale Hunter as an example of a coach that can find ways to adjust his game to counter another coaches system or get the opposing team to play the style he prefers. Speed is a dominating factor now in hockey games. A coach has to find a way to either slow a game down by trapping or just disrupting the flow of a speedy team or they will lose almost every time IMO.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Looks like we'll play Windsor or Guelph. And it's up to Windsor who they want to play- is or Sarnia. If they beat Saginaw tomorrow, we play Guelph. If they lose, we play them.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Looks like we'll play Windsor or Guelph. And it's up to Windsor who they want to play- is or Sarnia. If they beat Saginaw tomorrow, we play Guelph. If they lose, we play them.
Windsor can't finish 7th, if they win or get 1 point they move to 6th, if they lose they are 8th. We won't be playing Kitchener.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

No matter if Windsor or Saginaw wins outright, we play Guelph, as I see it. If Saginaw wins in OT, that sets up a 3 way tie and we play Saginaw in that case, and Guelph ends up in 8th as I believe Saginaw won the head-to-head against Guelph. Saginaw would get 6th based on the most wins. ohloutsider is correct in saying that we cannot play Windsor. The incentive in this final game will be not to lose and finish 8th to play the Soo. Saginaw needs to win in order to avoid the Soo. Windsor can avoid the Soo by at least forcing the game to OT.

Last edited:

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Scenarios!

A Windsor win in any fashion means Kitchener faces Guelph next weekend. Windsor finishes 6th and plays Sarnia, Saginaw finishes 8th and plays Soo.

If Saginaw wins in regulation, the Spirit would fall into 7th place to face the Rangers. Guelph finishes 6th and plays Sarnia, Windsor finishes 8th and plays Soo.

And a Spirit win in overtime or a shootout means a three-way tie in the standings, and the math would favour Guelph falling into 7th place to face the Rangers. Windsor finishes 6th and plays Sarnia, Saginaw finishes 8th and plays Soo.

....math

Last edited:

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Nelli. When I mentioned coaching in the post above I always think about a coach that seems to find ways to adjust to opposing team's systems. I think of Dale Hunter as an example of a coach that can find ways to adjust his game to counter another coaches system or get the opposing team to play the style he prefers. Speed is a dominating factor now in hockey games. A coach has to find a way to either slow a game down by trapping or just disrupting the flow of a speedy team or they will lose almost every time IMO.
While the success is impossible to argue against, I’m not sure I understand what all the fuss is about when it comes to Dale Hunter’s coaching prowess. Hasn’t he always just played a trap? Even with some of the best junior talent in the country, he’s always played a trap. The Knights’ game focuses on taking advantage of mistakes and power play opportunities. But 5-on-5, it’s pretty damn boring. Pretty damn successful, but pretty damn boring.

I’m not sure I see the same deficiencies many of you talk about in the Rangers coaching staff. I’ve seen a good job of mid-game adjustments (line matching/juggling and defensive schemes), a general commitment to four line hockey (except in exceptional circumstances) and one of the most successful seasons in franchise history.

Obviously I’ve never coached at this level (or played in the NHL) but I’ve got no complaints about this coaching staff.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Scenarios!

A Windsor win in any fashion means Kitchener faces Guelph next weekend. Windsor finishes 6th and plays Sarnia, Saginaw finishes 8th and plays Soo.

If Saginaw wins in regulation, the Spirit would fall into 7th place to face the Rangers. Guelph finishes 6th and plays Sarnia, Windsor finishes 8th and plays Soo.

And a Spirit win in overtime or a shootout means a three-way tie in the standings, and the math would favour Guelph falling into 7th place to face the Rangers. Windsor finishes 6th and plays Sarnia, Saginaw finishes 8th and plays Soo.

....math

I stand corrected on my math above. I thought it was Saginaw that won the season series against Guelph. In fact, it was Guelph that won 3 out of 4.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
While the success is impossible to argue against, I’m not sure I understand what all the fuss is about when it comes to Dale Hunter’s coaching prowess. Hasn’t he always just played a trap? Even with some of the best junior talent in the country, he’s always played a trap. The Knights’ game focuses on taking advantage of mistakes and power play opportunities. But 5-on-5, it’s pretty damn boring. Pretty damn successful, but pretty damn boring.

I’m not sure I see the same deficiencies many of you talk about in the Rangers coaching staff. I’ve seen a good job of mid-game adjustments (line matching/juggling and defensive schemes), a general commitment to four line hockey (except in exceptional circumstances) and one of the most successful seasons in franchise history.

Obviously I’ve never coached at this level (or played in the NHL) but I’ve got no complaints about this coaching staff.

This is a great description of the 2011-12 Knights...and that's it (which was a Mark Hunter lead team)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Scenarios!

....math

And therefore, we have no chance of playing Windsor. IMO, they'd have been our easiest opponent. They have the greenest lineup with a goalie who, though very good, we've owned this year.

Saginaw and Guelph will be tougher opponents for us. All three teams are younger but Saginaw and Guelph have more skill and experience - especially on D.

I hope we play now Guelph instead of Saginaw. Not because of travel because I don't think that's an issue - though I'd be happy I'll see every game live if we play Guelph. But the Spirit have a bigger more physical team. I want our first round to be as physically easy as possible.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014

1....to play a 5'2 player on the backend (unless in an Emergency situation)

2...to play a 5'2 player on the pp instead of a NHL first round pick

3...to not have a team prepared to start a game

4...failure to work the refs after a call/non call

With the talent he has been given, if the Rangers get knocked out in the first round he may be found hanging by his ankles from the Ottawa Street bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->