Signing(s): Kirk Cousins to Minnesota

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
So the problem wasn’t the Packers, it was the Eagles. That’s a different story. They are still better, they weren’t going to get Brees.

The Packers will always be a problem unless Rodgers isn't healthy.

He alone is good enough to win that division.

Reactions: Voight

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'd put the Vikes slightly ahead of the Pack personally. Of course, with Rodgers the Pack are always a force to be reckoned with. I would expect both to make the playoffs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Upgrade from Keenum to Cousins and potentially get a 3rd round comp pick for losing Keenum. Works for me.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kirk Cousins is going to make over $200m in his career

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I love big free agent signings so I'm happy with this move. Although I read with all this money going to Cousins won't see anymore big signings. Although I'm hoping to see them sign some unproven players and have Zimmer and Co work their magic. Hopefully Sloter keeps developing and he's ready in 4 years to take over.

Good luck to Teddy, Keenum, and Bradford.

Reactions: Avs_19

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I love big free agent signings so I'm happy with this move. Although I read with all this money going to Cousins won't see anymore big signings. Although I'm hoping to see them sign some unproven players and have Zimmer and Co work their magic. Hopefully Sloter keeps developing and he's ready in 4 years to take over.

Good luck to Teddy, Keenum, and Bradford.

Don't think the Vikings needed to/were going to make any big signings with or without Cousins. They're interested in Bryce Callahan, so you may see a lower tier signing like that or two. Could also see them bring in a vet backup like a Matt Moore, unless they really trust Sloter. Plus they have to save as much money as possible to pay Barr, Kendricks, Diggs and Hunter.

I'm not a fan of shelling out big money in FA anyway. They seem to bust more than they work out. For every Linval Joseph or Captain Munnerlyn, there's a lot more Bernard Berrian, Madieu Williams, Remi Ayodele, John Carlson, Greg Jennings, Alex Boone's, etc. Build through the draft, supplement through FA (guys like Keenum, Newman, etc).

Before Joseph you have to go way back to Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams and Steve Hutchinson in 04, 05 and 06 for good signings, which predate Spielman.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That should leave them with around $20M in cap space right now.

Feb 24, 2017
3D3CB9E0-5D4B-432A-AF4E-523F236C6B5D.jpeg
Don't think the Vikings needed to/were going to make any big signings with or without Cousins. They're interested in Bryce Callahan, so you may see a lower tier signing like that or two. Could also see them bring in a vet backup like a Matt Moore, unless they really trust Sloter. Plus they have to save as much money as possible to pay Barr, Kendricks, Diggs and Hunter.

I'm not a fan of shelling out big money in FA anyway. They seem to bust more than they work out. For every Linval Joseph or Captain Munnerlyn, there's a lot more Bernard Berrian, Madieu Williams, Remi Ayodele, John Carlson, Greg Jennings, Alex Boone's, etc. Build through the draft, supplement through FA (guys like Keenum, Newman, etc).

Before Joseph you have to go way back to Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams and Steve Hutchinson in 04, 05 and 06 for good signings, which predate Spielman.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
#Hebert2020

In all seriousness, I said it before I'll say it again. They really did have choice. Keenum was a fluke, Bradford has no legs. You couldn't count on Bridgewater, that would have had to be a 1 year deal. The team was built to win now. The Jets offered him more money too. I wish he would have took it just to see what the Vikings would have done.

The OL was still more of a problem than Cousins. Defense couldn't get a stop when it mattered either as good as they are. They'll go 9-7 again next year. Zimmer will get fired and they'll try to unload Cousins off on someone in 2020 and start the rebuilt.

It's amazing this team hasn't had a real "franchise" QB since the 70s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad