Kirill Safronov NHL outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bauerkraut

Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Wanted to get your opinions on the NHL future for Safronov. I thought his stock had dropped quite a bit when traded by Atlanta but his numbers with Milwaukee look pretty good.

Is he now looking like he will live up to his potential of a #1 or #2 NHL defenseman?

Comments?
Thanks!

Blatny Spears

Feb 27, 2002
Toxostoma rufum
Visit site
He had good numbers for Atlanta's AHL affiliate too if I recall. Nashville has good defensemen depth prospectwise, so I wouldn't count on Safronov being an NHL player for them. He was not very good when he was with the Thrashers.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
At this point, likely the best Safronov can hope for is a #4 man in the NHL. Safronov could be a classic case of a late bloomer though. Some guys have taken a while but then pop up outa nowhere (Rafalski and Mitchell come to mind). Perhaps that'll happen with Safronov.

But I wouldn't bet on it myself.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Mizral said:
At this point, likely the best Safronov can hope for is a #4 man in the NHL. Safronov could be a classic case of a late bloomer though. Some guys have taken a while but then pop up outa nowhere (Rafalski and Mitchell come to mind). Perhaps that'll happen with Safronov.

But I wouldn't bet on it myself.

On the topic of Willie Mitchell, he himself was shocked when he was drafted. He was training for the upcoming season at Clarkson when he got the call.

Some players themselves don't even think they're going to develop, I guess. :)

Source: Personal interview last summer.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
I don't expect Safronov to have much (if any) of an NHL career. While in Atlanta he appeared too small and timid. Positionally his game seemed to improve over time but in the Eastern Conference he was pushed around way too much. It was pathetically funny to watch the Flyers or Bruins cycle at will--almost tossing Safronov off like a flea. Forget about the routine giveaway blunders which resulted in goals--probably 1 every 2 games or so. He was a -10 in 32 games in '02 (but so were plenty of other Thrashers but...) :banghead:

Offensively I always expected way more of him (I expect offense from undersized d-men :dunno: ). He never seemed to have a good feel for the game and its speed. He always seemed a step behind or a second slow. He seemed to have a poor "hockey sense."

The Thrashers seem to be moving toward large defensemen in their system. Safronov didn't fit that bill. I will be surprised (pleasantly though) if he becomes an NHL regular defenseman.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
i watched him play for the Remparts in QJMHL , he has a nice upside but look like he never delivers and miss a bit of hockey sense .

I don't think he'll be an impact player .

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
When Phoenix traded him a few years ago, it was because he seemed like a bust. He hasn't done anything to shed the label yet.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
He's an OK prospect. Don't be suprised if he doesn't spend another year or two in the A and then go back to Russia. The Preds have so many players who are either ahead of him in development or project out to be considerably better. With Hamhuis already on the big squad, Hutchinson waiting in the wings, Stehlik, Weber and Klein in juniors and each only a couple of years away, and Suter in college. Just where does he fit in considering that Zidlicky, Timonen, and Eaton (along with Hamhuis) are staples. There are really only two or three spots available for the nearby future (which I consider to be his window) and Safronov just doesn't bring enough to the table to beat out any of the six of so defenseman who'll be getting good looks in the next two-three years. We really didn't trade much away to get him though. Kloucek looks just a shade more promising than Safronov, so I guess it was an easy gamble for both teams. Though I am glad we nabbed Gamache.

Dupuis>Ilya

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
dunwoody_joe said:
I don't expect Safronov to have much (if any) of an NHL career. While in Atlanta he appeared too small and timid. ... Offensively I always expected way more of him (I expect offense from undersized d-men :dunno: ). ... The Thrashers seem to be moving toward large defensemen in their system. Safronov didn't fit that bill.
What are you talking about? Safronov is like 6'2"/210#. Hardly hulking, but even less so 'undersized.' Most of the rest of your post I agree with.

Bauerkraut

Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
Thanks All

I traded him and some AHL filler to pick up Timonen and and Anshakov.

At least with Timonen I know what to expect ;o)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->