Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Cheering for north bay and Sudbury today. Don’t want to be playing a healthy north bay. Would rather play the team that has won 11 or 12 in a row lol

Meh. If the Fronts can control the front of their net, they will be fine. They will have a chance. I really don’t think any team in the East is beyond being upset. I think every series, including the Barrie series, will be fun hockey to watch. I don’t foresee any seriously loppsided series.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Meh. If the Fronts can control the front of their net, they will be fine. They will have a chance. I really don’t think any team in the East is beyond being upset. I think every series, including the Barrie series, will be fun hockey to watch. I don’t foresee any seriously loppsided series.
It’s all about the matchup. And like many people here- I see north bay winning the east.

They have it all. They would be the team id like to play the least 100%. It’s about the matchup and statistically kingston doesn’t play well against a healthy north bay- look at the numbers over the last 3 years. Then look at Oshawa.

Also Oshawa games are almost always close and they’re only about 2 hours away. No brainer for me.

Reactions: dirty12 and OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It’s all about the matchup. And like many people here- I see north bay winning the east.

They have it all. They would be the team id like to play the least 100%. It’s about the matchup and statistically kingston doesn’t play well against a healthy north bay- look at the numbers over the last 3 years. Then look at Oshawa.

Also Oshawa games are almost always close and they’re only about 2 hours away. No brainer for me.

I agree. All I am saying is if Kingston does a poor job at controlling the front of the net, it doesnt’ matter who you play. If you control the front of the net giving your goalies a chance, I think Kingston has an opportunity to do some damage no matter who they play. To me, that is the key for the Fronts success. Clearly there may be better matchups but the matchup only matters if the fronts do those little things properly that they’ve had a hard time doing consistently.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
And so it’s North Bay…

Some observations I have made over these last several games for Kingston.

• Schmidt and Burns have been playing well, these guys need to continue to find the opening and shoot the puck. Great thing happen.
  • 19 is a gamer, I think he’s going to give Kingston everything he has in the tank for playoffs.
  • Chromiak has played very strong in his last couple of games. Good time for him to get going as I was worried he was heading in the wrong direction.
  • Van Williamson is playing great, this kid is starting to impress. Same for Soto.
  • The additional games given JJ has helped elevate Vaccari, both have played well.
  • Hopkins is starting to find his game. Great to see. I think Frasca really needs to find another gear. I completely lose him at times when he’s on the ice. The downside of that line so far has been they are spending a lot of time in their own end giving up too many scoring chances.
  • Turnovers and blind passes have killed this team. Thibideau consistently losing the puck before the blue line has to be corrected and Holmes/Uens got to be more careful on the no look passes in their end.
  • Special teams- PP has been hit and miss lately- would like to see more quality shots, and definitely more coming from the defence. PK has been excellent lately with Ludwinski, Hemstrom, Poole and Heyes. I would almost keep Dubois out of these four and put him on for the third pairing if needed to lesson his overall minutes.
  • The change of lines with Miedema playing with Poole and Heyes seems to be helping him.I’ve seen a way better effort, he’s getting some quality scoring chances and he’s using his body more, still looks a bit awkward with puck but he’s going into the corners playing with some grit.
  • Managing ice time for all lines seems to be key for this team, Dubois has logged a ton of minutes since the trade deadline, somehow I feel chemistry has been lost on other lines, Kingston just hasn’t been able to get everyone going at the same time. The last two games it appears Mann rolled the lines pretty even without Dubois and I thought they played a strong team game.
For any chance of an upset, Kingston needs to play tough as nails. If we can play well without the puck Kingston has a chance to upset NB. Time to leave it all on the ice, and keep the winning streak going.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
And so it’s North Bay…

Some observations I have made over these last several games for Kingston.

• Schmidt and Burns have been playing well, these guys need to continue to find the opening and shoot the puck. Great thing happen.
  • 19 is a gamer, I think he’s going to give Kingston everything he has in the tank for playoffs.
  • Chromiak has played very strong in his last couple of games. Good time for him to get going as I was worried he was heading in the wrong direction.
  • Van Williamson is playing great, this kid is starting to impress. Same for Soto.
  • The additional games given JJ has helped elevate Vaccari, both have played well.
  • Hopkins is starting to find his game. Great to see. I think Frasca really needs to find another gear. I completely lose him at times when he’s on the ice. The downside of that line so far has been they are spending a lot of time in their own end giving up too many scoring chances.
  • Turnovers and blind passes have killed this team. Thibideau consistently losing the puck before the blue line has to be corrected and Holmes/Uens got to be more careful on the no look passes in their end.
  • Special teams- PP has been hit and miss lately- would like to see more quality shots, and definitely more coming from the defence. PK has been excellent lately with Ludwinski, Hemstrom, Poole and Heyes. I would almost keep Dubois out of these four and put him on for the third pairing if needed to lesson his overall minutes.
  • The change of lines with Miedema playing with Poole and Heyes seems to be helping him.I’ve seen a way better effort, he’s getting some quality scoring chances and he’s using his body more, still looks a bit awkward with puck but he’s going into the corners playing with some grit.
  • Managing ice time for all lines seems to be key for this team, Dubois has logged a ton of minutes since the trade deadline, somehow I feel chemistry has been lost on other lines, Kingston just hasn’t been able to get everyone going at the same time. The last two games it appears Mann rolled the lines pretty even without Dubois and I thought they played a strong team game.
For any chance of an upset, Kingston needs to play tough as nails. If we can play well without the puck Kingston has a chance to upset NB. Time to leave it all on the ice, and keep the winning streak going.
I agree that Williamson is playing very well, but he's only going to get a chance in the playoffs if someone gets hurt/suspended/sick.
Turnovers/blind back passes kill us every game - many times they don't result in a goal but they do ruin a chance for Kingston to apply pressure or they give the opposition at least a chance on Kingston's net. Thibodeau is a give away machine at the opposition blue line -- at least 2x a game - Mann ripped into him on Saturday when he gave it up in the 1st v Brantford right at their blueline, despite having his two linemates coming in hard on the other side - a shot on the net or dump around the boards would have been so much beter

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Interestingly - Kingston has actually played quite well against DiVincentiis this year. In 3 games against him he's only put up a 0.851 SV% vs his season average of 0.895.

Vaccari on the other hand has not played well against NB - season save % of 0.793 against NB. They'll need Vaccari to step it up if they want to have any hope.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Interestingly - Kingston has actually played quite well against DiVincentiis this year. In 3 games against him he's only put up a 0.851 SV% vs his season average of 0.895.

Vaccari on the other hand has not played well against NB - season save % of 0.793 against NB. They'll need Vaccari to step it up if they want to have any hope.
I think you’re gonna see divinctiis really step it up as this is his time of the year. We haven’t seen vaccari in the playoffs but at time he has stolen games. Would really like to see him have a strong playoff performance regardless of how many games kingston plays as he can build off of that into next year.

Reactions: The Green Tank

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’ve been impressed by the way Kingston has come together to play some real good games the past two weeks. I think they are the toughest matchup that could have been reasonably expected for North Bay. Though it nearly happened, I never considered the wolves as a possible 1st round opponent for NB.

JRHockeyBUZZZ

Mar 28, 2024
Happy Opening Play-off Day! First Eastern Conference breakdown we are looking at will be the (2) North Bay Battalion taking on the (7) Kingston Frontenacs.

Battalion come into this series as one of the top teams in the Ontario Hockey League. Lead by Anthony Romani who has been turning Nhl scouts eyes to him with 111 Points. Dalyn Wakely not far behind him with 104 Points. Ty Nelson was once again one of the best dman in the league putting up 52 points in 54 games while also eating significant minutes. In between the pipes for the Battalion is Winnipeg Jets prospect Dom Divincentiis, Dom has seen his stats regress from last season as he has posted a more league average save% of .895 as opposed to his league leading .917 last season. Battalion look to attack early and often and will turn to their Powerplay which is ranked 3rd in the eastern conference at 22.8%.

For Kingston the Fronts turn to their top guns. Paul Ludwinski Blackhawks prospect has put up 69 Points in 60 games. The draft eligible Jacob Battaglia right behind him with 65 Points in 67Gp. on The back end look for Quinton Burns (St Louis Blues) to log significant minutes and be tasked with trying to shutdown the troops top guns. Burns who put up 120 PIM (6th). also tallied 35 points for the Black & gold. In Between the pipes for Kingston expect to see the work horse Mason Vaccari. Vaccari played 59 games this season going 27-27-3 with a .880 Save% & 3.55 GAA .

I expect the series to be a fast and physical matchup. the Troops will look to take advantage of the Loud Memorial Gardens & take an early series lead before heading back to K-Town.

The season series finished with both teams winning 2 Games. (North Bay won 9-0, 8-6) Kingston won (4-3 & 4-3OT) .

I think north Bay has too much fire power for Kingston to contain. My prediction North Bay Battalion sweep the Fronts.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Hopkins on the third line over miedema. Love it. Coach is a smart man playing what works best regardless of names.

In all seriousness miedema needs to have a strong series, if he doesn’t I can see them trading him somewhere rebuilding so he can be their top dog.

I predict NB in 5 or 6 but I’d love for kingston to come out firing and shock lots of people.

Reactions: PuckLucker

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Kingston showed tonight they can hang with NB.
Personally I think they even outplayed them.
If Kingston can steal game 2 they are in a good spot coming home.

This is what I was talking about a few days ago. I don’t think Kingston will win the series but if they can control the movement in their own zone, it really doesn’t matter who they play as an opponent. It has always been about goal suppression for Kingston. When they play much more controlled defensively, they are a much much better team. That consistency in their own zone and strong puck movement in three zones gives them a chance to win. They have the horses to do it.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Kingston showed tonight they can hang with NB.
Personally I think they even outplayed them.
If Kingston can steal game 2 they are in a good spot coming home.
Completely agree. Was shocked at how close it was. Imo north bay won the first but kingston won the second and the third.

Both goalies played very well.

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
Thought Kingston played a pretty good game last night. Thankfully they weathered the storm from the first 5 minutes or so as Battalion was looking like they were trying to put them through the boards with some of those hits that we really didn’t have an answer for and the game could have gone in the wrong direction.

The defence played pretty solid, they got in the lanes, had good sticks and competed hard. Couple bad turnovers but Vaccari came up big. I thought the Poole and Ride fight helped change the direction of the game for Kingston in that it slowed down the Battalions physicality, up to that point I don’t think Kingston had even registered a shot.

Burns had a stupid penalty that ended up costing them, but the kid competes endlessly, and he’s the style of defencemen you need for playoffs. I know people will be hard on the guy for that but I’ll take that any day for everything else he brings to the game. As I said Vaccari was excellent, the only goal that from Battalion had that wasn’t really fluky was Nelson’s bullet where Vaccari seemed partially screened.

I’m really torn with Soto on the third, the kid constantly competes and he’s in a tough situation. Thibideau can’t play on that 3rd line, that would just be a defensive nightmare. Frasca seems to be struggling, his foot speed doesn’t show well when the game is fast and the puck seemed to keep jumping off his stick. Hopkins lacks strength to be really effective, I would switch these two around, put Hopkins back at center where he can use his speed and move Frasca to the wing.

Dubois and Hemstrong continue to play well together, they just couldn’t get shots on net. I would like to see Soto with these two and put McNamara to the third with Frasca and Hopkins.

I also have been liking Miedema’s game lately, I really think he’s becoming a better all round player with Heyes and Poole. I think those two force him to work harder and he’s starting to win puck battles and use his body more, he’s starting to be effective on the boards. I think once he starts putting it in the net the flood gates could open for him as his confidence grows. Was a bit surprised that line wasn’t used more to respond to the Battalion’s physical play.

I know the Battalion will feel good about the win, but I’m sure those guys are a little worried. They lost their top scorer, they were in their own building with the crowd behind them, had all of the early power plays (some were rediculous) and really only had one clear decisive goal. Kingston could have Battalion on their heels if they come at this the same way Saturday.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Well, that was an awful period. Only chance to win this series is if we continue to injure their players. No idea how Mann doesn’t pull Vaccari after 4 goals on 9 shots. Then he gives up a 5th. Sigh.
You’re giving Troy Mann way too much credit as a coach. He’s great at interviews and loves the spotlight.
You will see his favourite players with -4 numbers tonight and no in-game adjustments.
I’ll eat my shoe if I’m wrong but he very stubborn and set in his ways.
Credit to NB, #14 looks dominant out there.
NB almost scoring on half their shots, physical play and many of the small speedy Fronts playing scared.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
This was about as it could get for the fronts. No divinctiis they have to take advantage. Still got 2 periods to play but they can’t let in any more.

Vet dmen getting beat one on one is horrible. Yes goalie is struggling but man defence take the body.

WJ
I agree I like burns but that is absolutely horrible. Same with on the 3rd goal he got beat.

As I’m typing this I see they put salajko in. Great move Troy Mann don’t kill vaccaris confidence.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
Well, that was an awful period. Only chance to win this series is if we continue to injure their players. No idea how Mann doesn’t pull Vaccari after 4 goals on 9 shots. Then he gives up a 5th. Sigh.
What is going on here? Is Caputi still coaching? Change things up. OMG. Schmidt is in quick sand right now and they keep running him out there every other shift. Was he great down the stretch. Yes. He doesn't have the foot speed to play against that top line if he is not going to be physical. The only hit he has had in two games was after whistle tonight and again a dumb penalty that changed the game like burns dumb penalty the other night. And get him off the PP if he is not going to shoot the puck. I love the player. I seriously do, but make guys accountable and stop the entitlement. He and Burns have been on the ice for almost every goal against these two games. Switch the pairings or match ups up.

And reward them by starting them yet again. Lol.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
What is going on here? Is Caputi still coaching? Change things up. OMG. Schmidt is in quick sand right now and they keep running him out there every other shift. Was he great down the stretch. Yes. He doesn't have the foot speed to play against that top line if he is not going to be physical. The only hit he has had in two games was after whistle tonight and again a dumb penalty that changed the game like burns dumb penalty the other night. And get him off the PP if he is not going to shoot the puck. I love the player. I seriously do, but make guys accountable and stop the entitlement. He and Burns have been on the ice for almost every goal against these two games. Switch the pairings or match ups up.

And reward them by starting them yet again. Lol.
Mann’s coaching record and win % not much different than Caputi. Remember this is a temporary landing spot for him, he’s not signing an 8 year deal like Rob Wilson in Ptbo.

Both backup goalies in, both teams down important players (Arnsby & Hemstrom).
Lines are mixed up now but be proactive coach Mann…. way too late of a decision.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I definitely picked a bad game to go watch. Thought it would be a fun road trip on a long weekend. Wish they would have shown up tonight. I’m just happy the NB fans have been polite about it.

NB is definitely targeting the breakaways on Schmidt. They send the forward as soon as they touch the puck in their zone. They don’t do it on McGowan.

Mann’s coaching record and win % not much different than Caputi. Remember this is a temporary landing spot for him, he’s not signing an 8 year deal like Rob Wilson in Ptbo.

Both backup goalies in, both teams down important players (Arnsby & Hemstrom).
Lines are mixed up now but be proactive coach Mann…. way too late of a decision.
Hemstrom came back. Though maybe is out again?

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
This is playoffs and taking the some of the most undisciplined penalties all year at inopportune times. I already mentioned the Burns and Schmidt penalties last game and tonight. Then we get a goal to get a bit of momentum and Miedema punches a guy in the back of the head that is on the ice???? What are you doing punching anyone? You are not going to fight. Start benching guys. This is crunch time. The only penalties acceptable are if you are trying to prevent a goal. Not this crap we have seen over two games. I keep hearing we have a "pro" coach!. Hmmm.. starting to wonder about that. If we get a PP early and he runs the same unit out there I will be questioning that even more.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
LOL And there it is. Early PP. Run the big man out again and terrible shift. Make them want to earn it. Sit them the rest of the game for any further PP chances and maybe they will show some urgency Monday. I don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad