GDT: kings vs peasants - pre-valentine's day edition

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
we sure as **** can't afford to take that gamble against the islanders with as explosive as they've been offensively. the last thing we want is a track meet there.

See, I see that one the other way. The way the Islanders are playing defensively, we can almost guarantee we'll score a few, and no matter who we play in goal, we're going to give up a few, so I see the Islanders as a perfect spot for Darling. Expectations for goaltending in a Canes-Islanders game will be minimal, so pressure should be low.

Having said that, N.J. will have to choose between Kincaid and Lack for both games against us, and they're scoring like no Devils team ever, so IMO, there's no bad spot for Darling this week.

Honestly, the bar is very low for defense/goaltending for each of the next three games, and it's a really good thing we've got some offensive confidence going right now.

tpsteffe

Jan 24, 2011
Raleigh,NC
as crucial as each game feels at this point, you have to give darling a vote of confidence start at some point during these metro games or you lose him the rest of the season in terms of attempting to maintain the illusion of a 1A/1B situation. darling has a history of playing and winning big games even if the sample this season has been puke. the alternative is doing to ward what we've done to ward every single season of his career to tragic results. this upcoming game against the devils would be ideal because for one, the offensive confidence for our guys is through the roof and hopefully at least a little of that translates and secondly, ward didn't have a lights out night against the kings so the expectations for darling against the debs shouldn't be a consideration for him. there are points where you have to rely upon your backup to play like he belongs here. we sure as **** can't afford to take that gamble against the islanders with as explosive as they've been offensively. the last thing we want is a track meet there.
Darling has started 29 games, he has had plenty of vote of confidence starts. This is about making the playoffs. Cam has a history of winning big games in NJ. Maybe I will be wrong, but the Islanders and Rangers are the teams I am least worried about in this division due to their recent play and roster make-up.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
It was confusing though. When it was scored, they announced it as Faulk's goal. During intermission, they said there was a scoring change, and they said it was Teravainen's goal. So when Faulk scored the next one, a bunch of people in the crowd (everyone around me) thought it was only his 2nd.

Faulk needs to be more clear with his goals.

I thought I heard Tripp say something about the crowd being wrong for throwing hats, yet he was wrong obviously?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Hurricanes always light up the Isle, even when they weren't a historically bad offense. That game is gonna have 7-8 goals by the end of the 2nd.

Hurricanes always have trouble scoring against the Devils for whatever reason.

Ward is outplaying Darling at the moment, so I go Ward, Darling, Ward.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The Islanders have given us some breathing room. Not a lot, but it's there. So it's more important that we win both games against the Devils. Definitely start Ward in those games.

How did we all see this and the 6th longest tenured coach in the NHL did not?

It may not be 6th. I'm guessing. It doesn't matter it was a completely boneheaded move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad