Kings trying to convince Kopitar to stay. Bad move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanStock

Aug 7, 2005
I know everyone has been suprised by Kopitar this camp and some even think he's nhl ready. However, I for one think it's a bad bad move for the Kings to try to convince Kopitar to play in the AHL this season. He's only 18, it's kind of like fool's gold imo. There's no way I think he'll survive in the AHL.

DanKramerHabs

HFBoards Partner
RyanStock said:
I know everyone has been suprised by Kopitar this camp and some even think he's nhl ready. However, I for one think it's a bad bad move for the Kings to try to convince Kopitar to play in the AHL this season. He's only 18, it's kind of like fool's gold imo. There's no way I think he'll survive in the AHL.

I don't think it could be bad for him to play in the AHL if they feel he's ready maturity-wise. The sooner they get him accustomed to the North-American game, the better.

I haven't seen him play other than the World Juniors of last year, so I don't know how physically/mentally ready he is, but even if he's not gonna light the league on fire, I think it would be a positive to have him there.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
RyanStock said:
There's no way I think he'll survive in the AHL.

Why? You don't think the SEL is a better league than the AHL? The only thing that the AHL has on the SEL is physical play. He plays a pretty physical game already, but learning to play a the North American style physical game, in OUR system, will only do him good in the long run.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He can learn to adapt to the N.A. physical side of the game anytime. Sweden is probably a better place for him to develop his skill set. That's the most important thing right now. I think they're worried about him not getting adequate playing time (think Robert Nilsson - who I guess is very impressive in camp right now). L.A. wants to keep an eye on Kopitar up-close.

CH Wizard

Legionnaire said:
Why? You don't think the SEL is a better league than the AHL? The only thing that the AHL has on the SEL is physical play. He plays a pretty physical game already, but learning to play a the North American style physical game, in OUR system, will only do him good in the long run.

Very well said. The SEL is a strong league.

But imo, I'd let him try to dominate the SEL first. He hasn't produced there. He was a 18 years old playing in a mens league. I think, the better idea would be to bring him over here when he's gonna be 19. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to let him play, in the AHL though.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
I thought there was an age limit in the AHL. Don't you have to be 20 (or turn 20 at a certain point in the season) to play there? Or did they change that? Or am I making things up?

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
asab said:
I thought there was an age limit in the AHL. Don't you have to be 20 (or turn 20 at a certain point in the season) to play there? Or did they change that? Or am I making things up?

Only CHL players have to be 20 or have 4 CHL seasons under their belt to play in the AHL. NCAA and European players don't have to be 20.

Safir*

The Great One said:
Very well said. The SEL is a strong league.

But imo, I'd let him try to dominate the SEL first. He hasn't produced there. He was a 18 years old playing in a mens league. I think, the better idea would be to bring him over here when he's gonna be 19. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to let him play, in the AHL though.
Yep, you got it right TGO.

I think that people forget that Kopitar has excelled in the Junior League, but not among professionals. The Kings will probably send him back to Sweden to play in the SEL, before throwing him into the AHL.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
Legionnaire said:

Normally for European players, I'm more concered about cultural divides and the maturity of the kid to be able to adapt to completely foreign situations. It takes a strong kid to be able to not only learn a whole new system but culture as well. That's why I'm not a big fan of bringining European players over as teenagers. However, Kopitar is Slovenian and has already adapted to living in Sweden (I presume). So it seems he's mature enough to adapt to another culture without it affecting his play.

KH1

I would personally let Kopitar play a season in the SEL before he goes to the AHL, but it's not a huge issue either way. He's a gifted player and he's gonna be great one way or another IMO.

There is a danger in letting him play in the SEL at 18 though. Look at what happened to Robert Nilsson--he basically could never break through in a men's league. The time that he should've been hitting his stride was taken away from him first because his team needed to win games or they would be moved down a division (meaning that there was no longer a lot of playing time for developing prospects.) The next season all of the NHL stars took over and that was the end of Nilsson's playing time there.

He's doing well in Isles camp, but it looked for a while (and it still could happen) that he would be a bust because the Isles couldn't control his development. It's a scary prospect for an NHL team.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He should be playing junior in the WHL and not warming a bench in the SEL. One big year out west and he could be ready. Mens European leagues are hard to excel in. I don't think it is necessary for a player to star over there to be able to play over here. A year of hockey on one of the west coast teams to get a whiff of the culture and the language and the longer season and then see what he can do with the big club.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Lion of the North said:
At the monent Kopitar is the no.2 Center on his SEL team, he will get good minutes in the SEL, he was one of the best players in his SEL camp before he went to LA's rookie camp.

The problem is, however, that his *****coach Taavola has a history of not playing youngsters. But I suppose the Kopitar case is way different than the earlier ones, eh?

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Vikke said:
The problem is, however, that his *****coach Taavola has a history of not playing youngsters. But I suppose the Kopitar case is way different than the earlier ones, eh?
I've been to some preseason games and Kopitar got 1st line icetime, PP time etc. But that was before the signing of Petr Leska which will bump Kopitar down to the 2nd center position.

Just take a look at Södertäljes roster, they've got Leska, Kopitar, Norbäck and Karlsson as their centers.

Chartrand

Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
If he's mature enough, I don't see the problem...contract issues aside.

From what I've heard, he's ready to make an impact in North America already, and LA's farm team could use a Center.

DBrown23*

i've watched him at training camp a couple times this week and i do not think he is nhl ready but is definatly ahl ready... there is an article saying he wants to play in sweeden so he can be closer to home for his first year of pro

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Reaper45 said:
I sat either the SEL or the AHL. WHL wouldn't help. It'd be a lateral move at best.

Wherever he plays this year is fine as long as he get lots of minutes. I believe scoring 50 goals for Portland this year is a better springboard for him than scoring 9 in Sweden. If he gets 35 points over there than I am wrong but looking at Steen in Toronto he did not get enough ice time in key situations to polish his offensive game. He has NHL speed and strength but is still a year away because he wasn't given first line icetime and power plays. If his SEL team is giving him at least 15 minutes a game and he is handling the level of play then staying in Europe is as good as any place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->