Kings News: King's old practice rink to be closed?

scryan

May 1, 2013
http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/11/30/links-save-the-culver-ice-arena/
Culver_ice_rink_06xl-e1385858821607.jpg

For those who have not heard Culver City ice area is at risk of closing.

Not only was it the old practice rink for the team, but its a staple of SoCal hockey.
Would be terrible to see it go. If you grew up with hockey in socal, chances are you have at least a few memories of the old rink.

Hopefully with the support of the community and socal hockey enthusiasts they can keep their doors open :handclap:

Facebook page for "Save Culver City Ice Rink"
https://www.facebook.com/saveculverice

Rink homepage
http://culvericearena.com/

Just hoping to get them some extra support and hoping they are successful in staying around. :yo:

reset

Puck Luck
Oct 5, 2005
South Bay
thats too bad

used to play hockey here as a kid...
fondest memories include getting ron scott, krushelnyski and nicholl's autographs here

scryan

May 1, 2013
thats too bad

used to play hockey here as a kid...
fondest memories include getting ron scott, krushelnyski and nicholl's autographs here

Yeah, grew up watching my brother play there like 20 years ago.
Now I started to play and its crazy walking back into these rinks decades later. They are really like a time capsule.

Hopefully they can get the support they need to stay open. Lots of kids will be with out a place learn hockey if they close :(

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
It will be a shame if it happens.

I spent so much of my early visits to CA there. So many memories of the Kings there. But hey, times change I mean this can go the way of actually being able to watch the game without some jackass yelling "MAKE SOME NOISE" or other such nonsense.

Welcome to the new NHL.

Goodbye Culver rink.

Hello gang infested condos.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Whoever came up with upstairs locker rooms did not play goalie.
FACT.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Whoever came up with upstairs locker rooms did not play goalie.
FACT.

Whoever came up with locker rooms on different levels than the ice are just *******s. Bottom line.

The rink in Oakland is bad enough being in Oakland but hiking up steps in goalie gear does in fact suck. And only rink I personally knew (NorCal) with locker rooms upstairs was Berkeley before it closed.

Not one for caring about old stuff unless there's TRUE history in it.

sjmay*

Way way way too many fond memories of that place,

First of, the rivalry we had with them, was top notch, and they always seemed to have quality players,

6am games there was always fun, and they were one of the only rinks that had Tuedsay night games, that was fun growing up.

I remember actually being able to skate with Dionne, Taylor, Robitaille, and they took shots on me, when I was, 10-12, something like that,

Also had so many autographs there as a kid, The Flyers, Jets, Flames, let alone the Kings,

It's a shame if that rink closes....

jonrazor12

Palffy for President
Oct 20, 2009
I played there from 2008 to 2011. Know Barbara and Hans very well. I like them both and believe they have a passion for the sport like nobody else. But lets face the facts. The rink sucks. It's outdated. The land that it sits on is very valuable and the rink cannot afford to be there. In order for a ice rink to be successful at that exact location, it needs to be a state of the art facility. Hopefully Barbara and Hans can find the money to tear that junk rink down and build something like the Valencia ice station.

Either way I have some good memories of the rink and will always remember Barbara and Hans for their love of the game.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Maybe the Kings will step up and buy it like the Ducks have done for a handful of rinks....

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Good group of guys that play there early Sunday mornings.

I will echo the "stairs were a dumb idea" sentiment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad