GDT: Kings @ Flames, 8:00 PM MT, SNET360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
They really do need another driver offensively on the second or third line, to upgrade on Hathaway and even Frolik when healthy. This team really only has one elite offensive catalyst in Gaudreau and hat's just not enough to get it done. And perhaps the bigger problem is all the names available are not only left handed shots, but don't even fit the criteria of being proper offensive catalysts. Someone like Kessel would be ideal.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
problems abound right now:

-PP is horrendous, if we don't figure this out and by some miracle make the playoffs, we won't get out of the 1st round.
-Third line production. Bennett and Janko are cold as hell lately. We need secondary scoring from them.
-We need to replace Brouwer and Hathaway in the top 9.
-A 4th line upgrade would honestly help too. Any combination of that line right now, provides zero offense.

We need a couple trades:

My targets would be Vanek and Stewart:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Vanek
Bennett-Janko-Frolik
Hathaway-Stajan-Stewart/Brouwer

This is a much better lineup. Vanek should take the Tkachuk-Backlund combo to another level, Frolik can only help the 3rd line, and nobody would find room to play against that 4th line. Only problem with Stewart seems to be motivation, I bet he'd look good on our PP, which may boost his moral given the playing time.

Good news:

-Some of the best goaltending we have seen since prime kipper from Smith, honourable mention to Rittich as a fantastic backup.
-Our defense has looked very strong the last number of games. Hamonic had a very solid game last night and is looking great in general. Stone is better than a bottom pairing dman. Kulak is a great fit as a #6, and he should only get better.

I honestly think if we want a chance to make the playoffs this year, and with how tight the west is, we need to upgrade our forwards. Because our goaltending and defense seems complete, I'd be willing to part with some of our futures to do it. To acquire guys like Vanek and Stewart, it shouldn't gut us, and seems worth the risk given our defensive talent...Oh and just launch Dave Cameron into outer space please.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

-PP is horrendous, if we don't figure this out and by some miracle make the playoffs, we won't get out of the 1st round.
-Third line production. Bennett and Janko are cold as hell lately. We need secondary scoring from them.
-A 4th line upgrade would honestly help too. Any combination of that line right now, provides zero offense.

We need a couple trades:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Vanek
Bennett-Janko-Frolik

This is a much better lineup. Vanek should take the Tkachuk-Backlund combo to another level, Frolik can only help the 3rd line, and nobody would find room to play against that 4th line. Only problem with Stewart seems to be motivation, I bet he'd look good on our PP, which may boost his moral given the playing time.

Good news:

-Some of the best goaltending we have seen since prime kipper from Smith, honourable mention to Rittich as a fantastic backup.
-Our defense has looked very strong the last number of games. Hamonic had a very solid game last night and is looking great in general. Stone is better than a bottom pairing dman. Kulak is a great fit as a #6, and he should only get better.

I honestly think if we want a chance to make the playoffs this year, and with how tight the west is, we need to upgrade our forwards. Because our goaltending and defense seems complete, I'd be willing to part with some of our futures to do it. To acquire guys like Vanek and Stewart, it shouldn't gut us, and seems worth the risk given our defensive talent...Oh and just launch Dave Cameron into outer space please.
I wouldn't go after Stewart because I don't think he's much of an upgrade on any of the current 4th liners. Vanek is awesome though he would be a great fit the only issue is what can we actually give them?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
One of our reclamation prospects that Weisbrod may still be high on.
Hopefully. If that doesn't work I could see something like Poirier + Brouwer 500K retained (even out the salary) + late conditional pick for Gagner if they think Versteeg won't be back soon enough.

Brouwer is even from Vancouver and Gagner has had some decent seasons in the past. Also how is Brouwer on pace for so little points? He has 4 points since being moved to the Backlund line 9-10 games ago and is still on pace for 22 points.

Gagner has 22 points right now.

Last edited:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't go after Stewart because I don't think he's much of an upgrade on any of the current 4th liners. Vanek is awesome though he would be a great fit the only issue is what can we actually give them?

A defensive prospect. If Stewart could be had for a 5th, I'd do it for his size and cannon of a shot alone, plus he's a RHS for the PP.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

We need a couple trades:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Vanek
Bennett-Janko-Frolik

Good news:

I don’t hate this lineup, I do think that 2nd line loses a bit of its shutdown prowess by slotting in vanek instead of frolik though, certainly better offensively.

I don’t think this team is in a position to overpay, I wouldn’t label them as a contender. It will be nice to get two players back for free in fro and steeger, again I think Versteeg will play his ass off because he’s going into the summer as a ufa.

For the right cost I wouldn’t be opposed to adding vanek as a cheap rental, same with Stewart. But it has to be the right cost, we’re low enough on draft picks as is

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I don’t hate this lineup, I do think that 2nd line loses a bit of its shutdown prowess by slotting in vanek instead of frolik though, certainly better offensively.

I don’t think this team is in a position to overpay, I wouldn’t label them as a contender. It will be nice to get two players back for free in fro and steeger, again I think Versteeg will play his ass off because he’s going into the summer as a ufa.

For the right cost I wouldn’t be opposed to adding vanek as a cheap rental, same with Stewart. But it has to be the right cost, we’re low enough on draft picks as is

I'm running under the assumption both would be relatively cheap, and would allow us to keep all of the core in tact. Lets be honest, our best trade chip is Backlund, and we saw a glimpse of what our lineup looks like without him last night. It wasn't pretty.

I'd deal one of our defensive prospects for Vanek, Stewart should only cost a 5th or lower. I really like our defense and goaltending. We need a new PP and another finisher or two, but can't afford a guy like Kane given that we've already traded a lot of futures for Hamonic.

I'd love Coyle over Stewart, but he'd cost and MIN is in the dog fight as well, no reason to give up Coyle unless it upgraded their current roster.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
But can we just coast to the playoffs on loser points? 0-0-34 should get us there, right?
Obviously not what I meant. Yeah it sucks that we've lost 3 in a row and 1 of them to a team were in direct competition with but at least those losses weren't regulation losses. This team needs another run like a 5 game winning streak or a run of 6 wins out of 7 to really cement themselves in the playoff picture an give themselves a good chance to make it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd toss Lomberg in there with Mangiapane. It's not like our 4th line does much anyway. Might as well try to let them keep the Oilers on their toes and spark our team

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Also Frolik and Jagr. For a team with not a ton of RW depth to begin with, losing those three has really stifled the offence. Hope to see Lomberg and Mangiapane in tonight. Take a seat Lazar and Hrivik.

I wouldn't mind a 4th line of:
Mangi - Stajan - Lomberg

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
OK...PP is a lost cause

But whatever happen to the secondary scoring?

Is 18 yrs old Sam Bennett still alive? Backlund, Jank?

Backlund needs to contribute more offensively for sure. The rest of the top 3 lines as well. We have next to zero secondary scoring for awhile now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->