Sportsnet: King on wjhc: Canada’s semifinal disaster

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So they lose one game and they sucked for the entire tournament? Right...

The team didn't have a whole lot of chemistry or cohesion at all. That sloppiness was pretty evident against Slovakia and Germany from the outset.

coyotesfan119

Aug 6, 2012
Phoenix, Ariz.
Bomber... I love the Rocky analogy. :laugh:

And it's surprisingly accurate...

If I remember correctly, Rocky didn't beat down Drago from start to finish in that movie. If he had, then yes it'd be accurate. I also don't think the USA was as big of underdogs going into the game as Rocky was to Drago.

But maybe I'm over-thinking this...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If I remember correctly, Rocky didn't beat down Drago from start to finish in that movie. If he had, then yes it'd be accurate. I also don't think the USA was as big of underdogs going into the game as Rocky was to Drago.

But maybe I'm over-thinking this...

It's a dumb analogy.

All Teams train and are spoiled pretty much the same.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It's a dumb analogy.

Perhaps you need to watch Rocky again.

Canada was cocky, thought that they would overload their roster with talent, tanning lamps, and personal chefs, and got their butts kicked.

I shouldn't even have to point this out but Ivan Drago looks like a bleached Boone Jenner.

Again, anyone who has seen Rocky 4 as many times as me would have known that and how identical the story line and plots are.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
image.jpeg

Ivan-Drago-Pronger.jpg

Separated at birth.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So, Morgan Rielly, as the youngest dman on Canada has been on for a total of 1 goal against for the entire tournament including pre-season games.
Don't forget when Canada played Slovakia and was lossing 2-0, it was Morgan Rielly who scored their 1st goal of that game which started the comeback and had a total of 3 points.

ForSpareParts*

This is not coddle time. We expect gold. There's no reason why we can't achieve it. Sorry kids, but our "boo's" are for you. Win period.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Rielly was playing with Murphy most of the tournament. People thought Murphy looked good,so Rielly must have been doing something right because Murphy is awful. he is right Rielly is being used in a different role, he didn't lug the puck up as much or even have the puck on his stick as much... Murphy had it way more often than Morgan and would usually mess everything up. I didn't watch todays game but id say watching all the D carefully harrington played really well and Rielly was probably the 2nd best... then oulette/wotherspoon then reinhart/hamilton/murphy.

x94Galchenyuk94x*

What is up with people blaming Subban? Did they miss the games we played in this tournament or something? In the summer series? Jesus the kid is a stud, the skaters let him down tonight.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
What is up with people blaming Subban? Did they miss the games we played in this tournament or something? In the summer series? Jesus the kid is a stud, the skaters let him down tonight.

He was shaky in 3 of the 5 games. Germany, Slovakia and U.S v2. Not sure if you only evaluate goaltenders based on wins and losses, but he was inconsistent.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
He was shaky in 3 of the 5 games. Germany, Slovakia and U.S v2. Not sure if you only evaluate goaltenders based on wins and losses, but he was inconsistent.

Can't blame him in the game today at all. The team played horrible for him. He played in the games that mattered.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Can't blame him in the game today at all. The team played horrible for him. He played in the games that mattered.

Goal #4 was the back-breaker today. Not a great angle. I don't blame him for the other three, but you need a save on that fourth goal to keep your team in it. Bad time for a odorous goal allowed.

Obviously the entire loss doesn't all fall on Subban. But to say he played like a stud this tournament is an overstatement, which is why I commented.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Goal #4 was the back-breaker today. Not a great angle. I don't blame him for the other three, but you need a save on that fourth goal to keep your team in it. Bad time for a odorous goal allowed.

Obviously the entire loss doesn't all fall on Subban. But to say he played like a stud this tournament is an overstatement, which is why I commented.

To even complain about a 4th goal is the problem.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It's a dumb analogy.

What makes his analogy dumb is thinking looking after basic biology means someone is being spoiled.

I'm sure leaving a bunch of 17 - 19 year olds to feed themselves at McD is the only thing that kept them from winning gold. If only the powers that be had access to such brilliant minds!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
So, Morgan Rielly, as the youngest dman on Canada has been on for a total of 1 goal against for the entire tournament including pre-season games.

This is a good point but overstated. After Murphy, Rielly got the most sheltered minutes against other team top lines. He definitely wasnt flawless in his own zone and didnt live up to the hype leaf fans and the media were giving.

I would say he and Hamilton both werent bad but given their hype they both were probably the biggest disappointments. Only people who havent followed Murphy since being drafted had high hopes for him, most people knew he would be crappy.

But I would say Rielly and Hamilton were still the third and fourth (pretty even) best D on Canada behind Ouellet and Harrington. If Spott wasnt coaching it probably wouldve been Rielly and Ouellet on the PP after a couple games not Murphy and Hamilton so that may have changed with a different coach though. But still a player of Riellys hype should have grasped the opportunities he got and forced the coach's hand to give him the big offensive minutes

PasDaSquini

Apr 4, 2010
Never really saw Canada as winning the tournament this year. In there pre tourny games they looked average, nothing special. For the team tog o undefeated in the round robin was a shock to me, thought for sure they would drop at least one game to either Russia or the USA.

Cannot fault Subban today, just sloppy plays around his net. Canada as a whole played like **** and I think it stems from there coach. My biggest problem with Spott is that he basically refused to give any other tender a glance, I understand that you want your goalie to get a groove but to start a goalie that looked shaky in the pretournament games and first 2 in the tourny and continue you with him is moronic. I would have liked to see Binnington get the start against Slovakia.

As for Reiley the kid is 18 years old and was Canada's top offensive dmen playing limited minutes. I think he will grow into an excellent defender for the leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad