Sportsnet: King on wjhc: Canada’s semifinal disaster

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I blame Apollo Creed for not dying and serving as motivation to avenge his death. Was Carl Weathers too busy making stew?

Apollo Creed did metaphorically die. He died when Canada lost out on the gold medal last year, the year before, and the year before.

I'd go as far as saying that is worse than the tragic death of Creed.

Canada had this on their mind but still let their pampered lifestyle and Justin Bieber retweets interfere with avenging their losses in years past.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The team didn't lose because of Subban, it was the lousy play of the team in front of him.

And Reilly didn't get the chance to step up because Steve Spott was to busy playing his golden boy Ryan Murphy, who played absolutely terrible today.

I don't think "absolutely terrible" does the egg he laid justice.

Leafs For Life*

Apollo Creed did metaphorically die. He died when Canada lost out on the gold medal last year, the year before, and the year before.

I'd go as far as saying that is worse than the tragic death of Creed.

Canada had this on their mind but still let their pampered lifestyle and Justin Bieber retweets interfere with avenging their losses in years past.

Shall we say it's Crosby's fault for getting the concussion, as if he could grow a mustache then people would be more intimidated of him?

I really don't know if you are being serious, like you are saying that they have to compare to Rocky Balboa and ignore retweets from Bieber.

ForSpareParts*

Canada should be ashamed of themselves. The last time they won the gold Pat Quinn was a head coach in the NHL. This loss is alarm bells full on. :(

Sam Slick*

This team was so confusing. Playing great against Russia and America in the round robin then getting decimated today. Brutal.

I've always said it can be disadvantage to get the bi'

....unless you are loaded with injuries. The usa just got stronger, got into a groove and the chemistry was unbelivable. Didn't hurt they had an awesome tender.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Why can't people just accept that the other countries are improving? I'm more shocked that RUSSIA was crap this tourney. Canada didn't show up it's their fault. USA had momentum going in... they outplayed us, so give credit to housley. Canada will face Russia for BRONZE. I can see a fire lit under their *****.

Sam Slick*

And no NHL d-men have ever screened their goalie? Not saying the kid doesn't have room to develop but too much is being made of a screen.

And, it wasnt just him. On that first screen, there was one US player in amongst our whole team. Looked like a train lined up in front of Subban.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's inevitable that the U.S is going to keep getting better and better, just due to population size alone. They have a great youth program and it's really starting to shine through at the under 18 tournament where they've won like 4 years in a row and they are really starting to develop players from states like Florida, Texas and California.

What I was pretty surprised at was the intimidation factor, we looked scared out there, the U.S just took it to us right from the get go.

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
Very disappointing. I feel like Binnington should have been given more of a chance to be the starter, but its hard to blame Subban for this one.

Not to bash the guy just because he's a Bruins pick, but man did Hamilton ever disappoint me. I thought he'd be up there with the points leaders (especially with all the PP time he got).

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Both Binnington and Paterson were good... I said from the start of the tourney Subban scares me. But is he really to blame? Go watch the first period: USA intimidated us and played with speed.

Badger Mayhew*

Looking at the US lineup, the 1st, 2nd and 4th lines kind of followed this pattern:

Small, speedy sniper - Two-way playmaking centre - Physical grinder

3rd line had these roles:

Forecheck/Board Battles - Faceoffs - Scoring opportunities with added physicality

D-pairings:

Offensive-Defensive

Canada...was just a mess. There was no thought put into the lines at all. The focus was always offense, offense, offense with no thought put into chemistry, player roles, etc. Ugh.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I called this disaster long ago.

Too many offensive defencemen (like the Leafs) and too many pansies playing forward (not enough grit).

You could tell this was coming when the team announced personal chefs and tanning lights were coming with the team.

This team needs to understand what it's like to have nothing. Similar to Rocky 4, they need to experience the harshness of the Russian geography. Rocky never had a personal chef or tanning lights.

Alot of good that did the Russians.

Anyway, my care level for how Canada fares at the WJHC is about -4.

It is a single elimination tournament that is way over hyped by TSN.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Very disappointing. I feel like Binnington should have been given more of a chance to be the starter, but its hard to blame Subban for this one.

Not to bash the guy just because he's a Bruins pick, but man did Hamilton ever disappoint me. I thought he'd be up there with the points leaders (especially with all the PP time he got).

Same, I am kind of biased because all I've heard from Bruins fans is how lop sided the trade was and how great Hamilton is..I just don't by the hype, sure will he be a good player down the road, sure. But I was expecting a ton more from a returning player. One of the softest players on the team and the guy is like 6 ft 5. I'm 5 ft 7 and I bet I could push him around.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Well, that was an awful game. They simply got outhustled and outworked, the Americans were first to the puck way too often, the Canadians were left scrambling ineffectively. They didn't just lose, they got badly dominated. Rielly sucked, but so did more or less the entire team.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why so much whining and crying over a silly little international tourney? Now, the players get back to Canada and playing for their real teams.

bshaw

Jul 4, 2010
Hamilton
I called this disaster long ago.

Too many offensive defencemen (like the Leafs) and too many pansies playing forward (not enough grit).

You could tell this was coming when the team announced personal chefs and tanning lights were coming with the team.

This team needs to understand what it's like to have nothing. Similar to Rocky 4, they need to experience the harshness of the Russian geography. Rocky never had a personal chef or tanning lights.

100% agree, worst fear was absolutely no grit line. The only guy I seen throwing the body around was Jenner in the Russia game! Today nobody did anything. So disappointing when they needed a big hit to get ol mo on their side there was nobody!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->