Sportsnet: King on wjhc: Canada’s semifinal disaster

ForSpareParts*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/iphone/hockey/juniors/2013/01/03/wjhc_semifinal_disaster_for_canada/

Not so fast Leaf fans. We can't put Reilly up there quite yet. It looks like he's got more growing to do.

It was the same story later in the first period. Ryan Strome and Morgan Rielly provided the screen this time, and McCabe found the same opening over Subban's left shoulder. Subban shrugged his shoulders with body language universally understood as frustration in that he couldn't see it.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Actually it was Biggs who screened that goal if I am correct

Looking at the article, it seems there were 3 goals scored in a similar fashion, the second one being Rielly and his partner screening, and the third being with Biggs in front. Assuming it was written correctly, the former is a shame, but mistakes happen, and the latter is great to see.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Looking at the article, it seems there were 3 goals scored in a similar fashion, the second one being Rielly and his partner screening, and the third being with Biggs in front. Assuming it was written correctly, the former is a shame, but mistakes happen, and the latter is great to see.

Ah okay.

Also changed the title to the correct article name.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
The whole team played like crap so there's plenty of blame to go around but yeah, disappointing performance.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just a poorly tuned machine/lifeless corpse of a team for most of the tournament.

birddog*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/iphone/hockey/juniors/2013/01/03/wjhc_semifinal_disaster_for_canada/

Not so fast Leaf fans. We can't put Reilly up there quite yet. It looks like he's got more growing to do.

Yep you are right. Nik Lidstrom, Bobby Orr, Karlson, Doughty have never been on the ice for a goal like that and never lost a game like that. Kids a bum. Screened the goalie. What a waste of a pick. He will never pan out now. I wish we had Nik Lidstrom he never lost a game.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
This team was so confusing. Playing great against Russia and America in the round robin then getting decimated today. Brutal.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Wasn't overly impressed with this year's team at any point, really. I thought going in that they would lose to Russia, that crucial penalty really helped them out in that one.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
To be honest, Rielly didn't have a great game today, but thought he was possibly the best d-man Canada had at the tournament.

Dougie Hamilton was (shockingly) the biggest disappointment to me. I had him pegged as the next Alex Pietrangelo coming up through the system there, but he looked terrible. I don't want to put too much stock into one bad tournament, but his potential ceiling has dropped in my book which is funny considering all the flak we get for trading the pick he turned into.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To be honest, Rielly didn't have a great game today, but thought he was possibly the best d-man Canada had at the tournament.

Dougie Hamilton was (shockingly) the biggest disappointment to me. I had him pegged as the next Alex Pietrangelo coming up through the system there, but he looked terrible. I don't want to put too much stock into one bad tournament, but his potential ceiling has dropped in my book which is funny considering all the flak we get for trading the pick he turned into.

If there's any consolation, it's that two big time Bruins prospects looked like garbage for Canada... :laugh:

ForSpareParts*

I don't think Subban was good enough to take this team deep.

I don't blame Reilly, but I wish he could have stepped up more at times.

He did have several good games though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think Subban was good enough to take this team deep.

I don't blame Reilly, but I wish he could have stepped up more at times.

He did have several good games though.

Rielly seemed like he was trying to fit in quietly on the team instead of really getting the chance to take the reigns. Maybe he didn't deserve the prime time. Oh well, this was seriously a comatose team.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Rielly seemed like he was trying to fit in quietly on the team instead of really getting the chance to take the reigns. Maybe he didn't deserve the prime time. Oh well, this was seriously a comatose team.

well this is a 19 year old tourney...aside from that I wasn't really in favour of spott...i mean he lost me when I saw him choosing murphy hahah prolly not even that but how much he continued to use him even though he doing zilch.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
So, Morgan Rielly, as the youngest dman on Canada has been on for a total of 1 goal against for the entire tournament including pre-season games.

ForSpareParts*

Damn him for not being perfect!

While you applaud mediocrity, many of us have big expectations for Canada every year. Especially a lock-out one! Jeeeese! WHAT the f is wrong with our hockey program? 4 years without gold!? Are you kidding me?!?!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

As I recall from last year in Calgary, he had a poor tournament as well

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
well this is a 19 year old tourney...aside from that I wasn't really in favour of spott...i mean he lost me when I saw him choosing murphy hahah prolly not even that but how much he continued to use him even though he doing zilch.

Yeah, I really didn't like Murphy in the Subway Series and how he was allowed to play his super selfish, force-the-play style game. That kind of contribution doesn't typically lead to team cohesion.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
While you applaud mediocrity, many of us have big expectations for Canada every year. Especially a lock-out one! Jeeeese! WHAT the f is wrong with our hockey program? 4 years without gold!? Are you kidding me?!?!

With the close games Canada could have been out of the medals before today. 2 PP goals against the Russians on the 5 minute major gave them breathing room on a game that might not have gone their way.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I called this disaster long ago.

Too many offensive defencemen (like the Leafs) and too many pansies playing forward (not enough grit).

You could tell this was coming when the team announced personal chefs and tanning lights were coming with the team.

This team needs to understand what it's like to have nothing. Similar to Rocky 4, they need to experience the harshness of the Russian geography. Rocky never had a personal chef or tanning lights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad