Confirmed with Link: Khurshudyan: Caps have re-signed defenseman Dmitry Orlov to a six-year deal. $5.1 mil

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Four years.

I don't think it's a steal given that he hasn't proven to be an all-situations player yet. He's pretty much a stud 5-on-5 but they need to work him into being an all-situation player now. They need to be more flexible in featuring him on PP2 and work on making him an effective and trusted PKer. Do that and it's fine.
Do that and he's an All-Star making much, much more than $5.1M/year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Do that and he's an All-Star making much, much more than $5.1M/year.
If he does all of the above, yes, and that will provide them strong value during this contract. Nick Leddy has been mentioned as a strong comp. but Leddy gets more PP time and averages right around what Orlov did on the PK in the playoffs at least. Given the state of the Caps blueline, you'd have to figure Orlov will now solidly be in the rotation as a frequent PKer. Leddy signed for 7x$5.5M, including five UFA seasons, a little over two years ago at a younger age. There are a lot of other comps. that are cheaper that you'd have liked to have him come in at but that's a pretty fair one.

The issue is less this contract in particular than the desperate need for stronger value generally and it's getting a bit dicey to just round out the roster.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
If he does all of the above, yes, and that will provide them strong value during this contract. Nick Leddy has been mentioned as a strong comp. but Leddy gets more PP time and averages right around what Orlov did on the PK in the playoffs at least. Given the state of the Caps blueline, you'd have to figure Orlov will now solidly be in the rotation as a frequent PKer. Leddy signed for 7x$5.5M, including five UFA seasons, a little over two years ago at a younger age. There are a lot of other comps. that are cheaper that you'd have liked to have him come in at but that's a pretty fair one.

The issue is less this contract in particular than the desperate need for stronger value generally and it's getting a bit dicey to just round out the roster.
Deals that eat up several UFA years and strong value rarely go hand in hand, especially at the beginning. This isn't a Brooks Laich or Orpik contract that has 0 chance of becoming a strong value. This is a player on an upward trajectory with a clear opportunity to grow into an increased role. They almost assuredly plan to utilize Orlov in all situations moving forward, and they're banking on him performing well in them. The old management team would have waited to see how he'd perform and then pay full price, negating the potential for any strong value deals. This deal at least gives them the chance.

M1K3

Feb 9, 2017
Also noticed that Orlov's contract was very frontloaded:

2020-21 $4,500,000
2021-22 $3,300,000
2022-23 $3,300,000

Should the Caps opt to go full rebuild within that timeframe he could fetch a considerable return if retained on.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Wow, that's high... but I guess it was needed.

It's funny to me that the Caps need a "change" but basically everyone who was brought up in the organization/developed/been part of this failing environment are the ones getting extensions and staying put.

If 5.1 is Orlovs number - the Kuzy number coming is going to blow some minds.

Basically, all the players we lose (Alzner, Williams, Schmidt etc) are going to have to be replaced with entry level rookies basically. Have no other choice

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Also noticed that Orlov's contract was very frontloaded:

2020-21 $4,500,000
2021-22 $3,300,000
2022-23 $3,300,000

Should the Caps opt to go full rebuild within that timeframe he could fetch a considerable return if retained on.

The only thing that matters is the cap hit. What Orlov actually gets paid doesn't matter. It's the avg cap hit.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If true than resigning Oshie was a colossal mistake. The resigning Oshie all but guarantees we're in it to win it. Trading Ovechkin is a blow it up move.

Disagree.

You don't have to trade him for just futures. Even if you wanted, those types of deals never happen with top-paid player like Ovechkin.

Either way, it was a half-assed joke. Whether it's smart or not, they wouldn't trade Ovechkin until they've entirely lost their chance to win the Cup.

Stan Galiev

Sasha Minor
May 15, 2015
The deal is a tad on the high side, but for a top pairing defenseman this is very reasonable. As someone said, this is not some overpaid vet. Orlov can only get better. This must mean Kuzy is gonna make more then Backstrom 100%. The ignorance of Orlov on the main board is incredible. If he played for the Leafs everyone would think he is a top 20 defenseman.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The deal is a tad on the high side, but for a top pairing defenseman this is very reasonable. As someone said, this is not some overpaid vet. Orlov can only get better. This must mean Kuzy is gonna make more then Backstrom 100%. The ignorance of Orlov on the main board is incredible. If he played for the Leafs everyone would think he is a top 20 defenseman.

Is he a top pairing D or is Niskanen shining him up nicely? That's the $30 mil question.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
(mod)

I don't want to get into bashing Orlov, because he took a nice leap forward this past year, but it might be telling if he loses Niskanen for any significant time. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't want to get into bashing Orlov, because he took a nice leap forward this past year, but it might be telling if he loses Niskanen for any significant time. That's all I'm saying.

Niskanen without Orlov 51.4 CF%, 56.4 GF%
Orlov without Niskanen 51.8 CF%, 61.4 GF%
Niskanen and Orlov together 56.3 CF%, 61.7 GF%

Niskanen improved substantially in both CF% and GF% when paired with Orlov. Orlov saw a similar jump in CF% when paired with Niskanen, but his GF% was more or less unaffected. Both players did very well on their own, but together they were a force. Neither player was carried by the other, but both did bring out the best in each other.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

DDlDaqPXYAAGoq2.jpg

Orlov is very good when not carrying an anchor, but that could change as well.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
The last 3 years look great, but 6.5 for the 1st 3? Wow.. Carlson's jaw just hit the floor. Then he started rubbing his hands together and licking his chops.. lol

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Niskanen without Orlov 51.4 CF%, 56.4 GF%
Orlov without Niskanen 51.8 CF%, 61.4 GF%
Niskanen and Orlov together 56.3 CF%, 61.7 GF%

Niskanen improved substantially in both CF% and GF% when paired with Orlov. Orlov saw a similar jump in CF% when paired with Niskanen, but his GF% was more or less unaffected. Both players did very well on their own, but together they were a force. Neither player was carried by the other, but both did bring out the best in each other.

DDlDaqPXYAAGoq2.jpg

Orlov is very good when not carrying an anchor, but that could change as well.

Extended time when Orlov still gets the same tough top pair matchups will be the only thing that proves Orlov is for real as a top-pair guy. For me, that's all I'm saying.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
5.1 isn't that bad when you look at his play and other guys around the league.
Like everyone here, 4.5 would be awesome, but if he starts to play PK next year, it will be fine.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The front-loaded dollars does at least suggest fear that the team won't be generating as much revenue in the out years of the contract. Organization anticipating a decline in attendance 2-3 years from now?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The front-loaded dollars does at least suggest fear that the team won't be generating as much revenue in the out years of the contract. Organization anticipating a decline in attendance 2-3 years from now?

I think its just a smart way to make contracts. If we do need to unload him in 2 or 3 years, it makes him that much more attractive.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I suspect Orlov's been feeling a little underpaid too....gets him a little cash up front to make people happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad