KHL rookie of the year

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think Jokerit has better source for information than you do. No offence.

But you are unable to say what source that is. Also in the internet there is no information to be found about any rule changes. It's weird if the KHL took over the award and changed the rules but didn't publish it anywhere.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
he got the answer that award can only go to a player that participate in the season ending gala event.
That was my likeliest explanation as well. Tolvanen snubbed KHL by going to NHL and not attending this award circus so they couldn't let this traitor of the motherland win anything.

Also in the internet there is no information to be found about any rule changes. It's weird if the KHL took over the award and changed the rules but didn't publish it anywhere.
The award was given during the official KHL's season-ending gala, do you really think somebody other that KHL board has higher power deciding whom does it go to? This isn't some independent magazine award like it, maybe, was 50 years ago.

Does that really surprise you? Finding anything official about KHL rules on the internet is quite a difficult task, leading back to the year where even KHL decision makers didn't know are the players from CIS countries considered imports or not. By no means a new situation, there are points in the KHL existence where no one seems to know what the rules are.

Overall, this decision is based on good old Russian xenophobia, "f*** you" to Tolvanen for moving to NHL and "disrespectfully" not attending the gala and maybe, just maybe, nobody in the KHL realising the situation can arise where rookie of the year isn't Russian and forgetting/not bothering to change the rules of the award that are non-sensical.

Reactions: Exarz

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
All I think is that if the rules have changed then they also have been published somewhere, even just one tiny article if nothing else, but that does not appear to be the case. The "old" rules are easy to find albeit no confirmation anywhere whether Centrosport still manages the award.

So if one assumes that drastic changes have taken place then it would be nice to see some concrete evidence beyond Finnish conspiracy theories for it, the seriousness of these we already saw with the claims about the league being rigged for SKA and alike.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
All I think is that if the rules have changed then they also have been published somewhere, even just one tiny article if nothing else, but that does not appear to be the case. The "old" rules are easy to find albeit no confirmation anywhere whether Centrosport still manages the award.

So if one assumes that drastic changes have taken place then it would be nice to see some concrete evidence beyond Finnish conspiracy theories for it, the seriousness of these we already saw with the claims about the league being rigged for SKA and alike.
I’m sorry, but do you really think that Jokerit’s official Twitter account would publish anything that is not true?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Well it's black on white, on the khl.ru: "Приз имени Алексея Черепанова «ЛУЧШЕМУ НОВИЧКУ»" - Alexei Cherepanov award to the best rookie. No mention of anything else. So by this definition, the award has obviously fallen into the wrong hands. Why are you so fixated on the reason why? Does it really make it better if it's the decision of some Centrosport company? Does it make it better if that happened because nobody changed the old rules hence Tolvanen was ineligible? One way or another, KHL has absolutely messed up. Either by not selecting Tolvanen, or by describing the award absolutely wrong.

If Calder trophy was selected by Centrosport and they picked some guy with 20 points on the season, would it be ok? It's still a bloody Calder trophy. I'm also rather sure if Euros were ineligible for Calder it would 1) be seen as really bad; 2) the description would represent that only certain players are available.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I’m sorry, but do you really think that Jokerit’s official Twitter account would publish anything that is not true?

Their version of truth is that their guy should have won, but according to the available set of rules that was impossible to start with. If the rules have changed then there should be at least some kind of independent indication of that somewhere, as it's then not only about this particular detail but also the whole procedure of establishing the winner and who does it.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
I don't know why people even care or are surprised about this, KHL is known for this kind of bushleague stuff.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Their version of truth is that their guy should have won, but according to the available set of rules that was impossible to start with. If the rules have changed then there should be at least some kind of independent indication of that somewhere, as it's then not only about this particular detail but also the whole procedure of establishing the winner and who does it.

"Their version of truth" also states they asked about this directly from the league since there was all this speculation about the award being only for Russians. They got a reply a player of any nationality can be chosen.

No matter how you spin this, unless Jokerit is lying and they never got such a reply (which I find very, very hard to believe), then either way it makes the KHL look very bad. Either they chose someone else for very dubious reasons or in fact the rookie still needs to be Russian, but their organization is so messed up even through their official channels they can't give the teams correct information about their rules. You seem to argue Jokerit, a team playing in the KHL, asking about this directly from the league through their channels is somehow less reliable information about league rules than finding it on a website somewhere or a mention in some magazine article or something. It must be a pain to run a team in that league then, if you can't ask them anything about the rules and have any trust in what you're being told.

Basically you get to choose between the award being given out for all the wrong reasons or the league not even being aware of it's own rules. Either way doesn't make them look too good.

I don't follow KHL closely but initially I was kind of supportive of it since I'm not a big fan of NHL or the franchise based 100% commercial NA style sports leagues in general, and I thought having another league besides NHL with "international quality" of competition would be good, but unfortunately the credibility of KHL from sports perspective is even way worse. Instead of 100% commercial interests it seems to be 100% political interests or something. In any case this is just another nail in the coffin for KHL credibility for anyone not following the league through some patriotic Russian bias or something.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Then what was the real reason Tolvanen did not win it?

I don't know. There are always questionable awards winner, in any era, in any sport, in any country
I am not saying that Tolvanen should not have won the award. I am just saying that in sight of the recipient of the goalie of the year award, conspiracy theorists look laughable and butt-hurt.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't know. There are always questionable awards winner, in any era, in any sport, in any country
I am not saying that Tolvanen should not have won the award. I am just saying that in sight of the recipient of the goalie of the year award, conspiracy theorists look laughable and *********.

Until you can come up with a logical answer, then those conspiracy theories have as much weight as the non-conspiracy ones.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Luckily Eeli will be playing in a real hockey league next year. The extreme bias in the league has shown that it's awards are worth less than scrap metal anyway. Another typical day in Russia.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Basically you get to choose between the award being given out for all the wrong reasons or the league not even being aware of it's own rules. Either way doesn't make them look too good.

While I agree that the KHL could make these things more transparent, responsible for the award rules are primarily the owners of the awards. That no one seems to know who currently owns this award is clearly a problem and should be clarified, but if it's still not the KHL then quite possibly the only thing they could do is to abandon it and establish their own trophy instead.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
All your house of cards and silly conspiracy theories fall miserably when you have a look at who won the best goalie award...
Well, for starters, you should bite your tongue since your initial explanation was a country mile off the legitimate truth, whatever it is. Secondly, Francouz has played in the KHL for 3 years which commands some respect and none of the Russian goalies were anywhere near his numbers. Maybe he even attended that bush league gala. Also, especially considering current Jokerit's situation, Czechs are way more likable for the KHL brass than Jokerit's Finns.

Lastly, it seems so easy to destroy the house of cards yet you provide nothing similar to reasonable alternative explanation.

Reactions: Exarz

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
It's simple: Tolvenen didn't win, because he wasn't at the gala. Simple as that.

The trophys name should thus be: Best KHL Rookie to Attend the Gala.

This is just idiotism from KHL, not a conspiracy. Pure idiotism... Such a nice "tribute" to Cherepanov...

Last edited:

IAM

Sep 3, 2014
It's simple: Tolvenen didn't win, because he wasn't at the gala. Simple as that.

The trophys name should thus be: Best KHL Rookie to Attend the Gala.

This is just idiotism from KHL, not a conspiracy. Pure idiotism... Such a nice "tribute" to Cherepanov...
Only in Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->