KHL rookie of the year

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Vitali Kravtsov Traktor. 4g 3a 7p

Eeli Tolvanen 19g 17a 36p probably came in second... Normal in Russia. We got a Russian winner! This is just unbeliavable. Oligarks playfield. Nothing to do with sports.

Reactions: Mestaruus

IAM

Sep 3, 2014
I think it's good time to make some popcorn before pro-KHL writers start to justify this bias. THIS IS KHL!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The reasoning is that God spoke to whoever awards this from the bottom of a vodka bottle and said it has to be a good Russian kid blyat, not some wimp from Finland who has left for the NHL already, that f***ing traitor.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Was Tolvanen even eligible according to the rules? At least before the rookie of the year was explicitly for Russian players under the age of 26.
That might be but he was being awarded rookie of the week and rookie of the month all year long and then, all of the sudden, he can't be awarded rookie of the year because only Russian players are allowed to be in this "international" league? Bush league any way you look at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer and Exarz

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I guess a part of the problem is that many awards are older than the league itself and have all been created by different magazines or other institutions according to their own reasoning.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I guess a part of the problem is that many awards are older than the league itself and have all been created by different magazines or other institutions according to their own reasoning.
Even the name of the award itself suggests it is newer than the league. And those are official league awards, not something created by magazines.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It was created by the Soviet magazine Sportivnye Igry, of course the KHL could just establish its own new awards but not everyone would be happy with that either considering that many existing awards have a long tradition.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I mean they have gone as far as changing the name of the award, not to mention it is the award of a different league now. Again, feeling the need to have Soviet traditions in the KHL is just sad.

Reactions: Exarz

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Looking to official site there are sooo many awards. 28 if im correct. Plus All-Star team.

Some gems:
PRICELESS LEAGUE Award - Priceless supporter, priceless player
WHL PLAYER OF THE SEASON - Finest player in Women’s Hockey League
The SYRIUS PRIZE - For a player who wins four of the great honors: Gagarin Cup, Olympic Games, Stanley Cup and World Championship
ANDREI ZIMIN Award - Best doctor at a KHL club
VLADIMIR PISKUNOV Award - Best administrator at a KHL club
VALENTIN SYCH Award - Best leader of management at a KHL club
SPLIT-SECOND Award - For the fastest goal scored in the Championship + For the latest goal scored in the Championship
GENTLEMAN ON ICE Award - Defenseman who combines sporting excellence with exemplary behavior + Forward who combines sporting excellence with exemplary behavior

KHL Rookie Award rules (link):
There's some outrage and the predictable LOL KHL jokes going on, so I want to make this absolutely clear: By the award's rules, Tolvanen was ineligible.
The rules of the award's eligibiilty are as follows:
The player is a Russian citizen who is younger than 26 and just completed his first professional season (or played less than one-third of his team's games the previous year).
This award was established in the late Soviet era (and I assume the only change they made after Soviet Union fell was changing "Soviet" to "Russian") and the rules appear to have never been updated to note the league's expansion into non-Russian nations.
And if you're wondering how he got Rookie of the Week awards...Rookie of the Week is given by the league, Rookie of the Year is, to my understanding, given out by a "founding company" called Centrosport.

Reactions: Atas2000

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Kravtsov played better in the playoffs, if you look at the history of the award most of them had strong playoff runs.
Yelling at the cloud as you're doing is laughable if best goalie and best defensemen awards were awarded to non-Russian players.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Kravtsov played better in the playoffs, if you look at the history of the award most of them had strong playoff runs.
Yelling at the cloud as you're doing is laughable if best goalie and best defensemen awards were awarded to non-Russian players.
They almost had the same PPG average and Tolvanen almost single handedly saved Jokerit against Sochi. Plus, he played very good against CSKA. Sure, Traktor went one round further but Jokerit played tougher opponents than Traktor did considering that they already had to face CSKA in the second round while Traktor played Salavat who was garbage in the playoffs.

Tolvanen clearly had the better season (just look at the amount of awards) and would’ve been a clear winner if it wasn’t for Kvartsov’s playoff run, but since he came up as a candidate I do actually believe they favoured him because he in fact was Russian (especially when it’s not the league itself giving out the award)

Reactions: MVPGoon

IAM

Sep 3, 2014

According to KHL. The Rookie of the Year Trophy is not limited only for Russians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->