KHL Expansion Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Per team?

Ah crap... Its meant to say 4 million, not one. But in the grand scheme of things its only roughly 285k per team per year for the next 4 years with an option of four more years...Not exactly a lot of money...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ah crap... Its meant to say 4 million, not one. But in the grand scheme of things its only roughly 285k per team per year for the next 4 years with an option of four more years...Not exactly a lot of money...

Yeah, not a lot compared to for example the Finnish and especially Swedish ones. The current Finnish one guarantees teams about 900K each year but since the rights holder has been losing a lot of money on it because sports pay tv is not very popular here, the next tv deal is expected to be smaller. The new Swedish one guarantees each team 4,7 million euros per year.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
With that attitude then every hockey league outside of Finland, Czech, Lativa, Russia and Canada should probably just give up shouldn't it? Because 'oh no! soccer is a popular sport as well!'

DEL teams seem to have no issue getting money in such a football mad country already

Maybe their next step shouldn't be to join KHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
"The optimal size of the KHL is 24 clubs"

AND

"In a season or two the League might expand eastward and westwardâ€

Both from:

http://en.khl.ru/news/2017/05/17/347292.html

How can these statement co-work?

Is there any news about any new club for the 2018-19 season?

The KHL adopted new strategic plan on May 24. The league had 29 teams in current season, two clubs were cut to have 27 teams next season. As you can see, three more clubs to be cut after 2017/18, the league will have 24 teams. Before 19/20 two more teams will be cut but two more foreign teams will replace them, so the league will keep at 24. The same will happen following season. Of course non-russian teams like Slovan, Riga etc can be cut too, but there is a general opinion that Russian teams will be excluded (because there is not so many good enough Russian players for so many R teams, some R teams dont have economical potential for future & the league needs new developed markets - selling TV rights)

There is a mechanism of the clubs rotation

red - how many teams will be cut
blue - how many teams will be in the KHL for respective season
green - how many & when new foreign clubs plan to join

61d1-09dd8c2662b96ce14928333f055c5580.jpg

There are not any news on potential expansion. Just in general it will be Asia (China, Japan, S.Korea) or Europe. Germany, GB, Switzerland were named as possible locations by Timchenko at SPIEF last week, he added: "we are not against Sweden, we are open to negotiations." It is top secret if newcomers will be classic clubs or brand new like Lev.

Swedish KHL fan

Apr 25, 2016
Västerås
The KHL adopted new strategic plan on May 24. The league had 29 teams in current season, two clubs were cut to have 27 teams next season. As you can see, three more clubs to be cut after 2017/18, the league will have 24 teams. Before 19/20 two more teams will be cut but two more foreign teams will replace them, so the league will keep at 24. The same will happen following season. Of course non-russian teams like Slovan, Riga etc can be cut too, but there is a general opinion that Russian teams will be excluded (because there is not so many good enough Russian players for so many R teams, some R teams dont have economical potential for future & the league needs new developed markets - selling TV rights)

There is a mechanism of the clubs rotation

red - how many teams will be cut
blue - how many teams will be in the KHL for respective season
green - how many & when new foreign clubs plan to join

61d1-09dd8c2662b96ce14928333f055c5580.jpg

There are not any news on potential expansion. Just in general it will be Asia (China, Japan, S.Korea) or Europe. Germany, GB, Switzerland were named as possible locations by Timchenko at SPIEF last week, he added: "we are not against Sweden, we are open to negotiations." It is top secret if newcomers will be classic clubs or brand new like Lev.

Thanks for your response.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Leif R Carlsson stil think it's possible that his Crowns plays in KHL the 18-19 season, see:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/99a0p/avslojar-crowns-siktar-pa-khl-2018

This was even more interesting:

– Putin har sagt att KHL måste vara självbärande inom sju år. Det vill säga marknadsekonomi i balans ska råda.

Translation: Putin has said that KHL must be self sufficient within 7 years. Meaning they will have to come by on market economy.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
This was even more interesting:

Translation: Putin has said that KHL must be self sufficient within 7 years. Meaning they will have to come by on market economy.

Thats too easy! 7 years? So Team A funded by Steel factory. Steel factory now sets up 1 fake TV station and buys TV rights in huge amounts. Factory also sets up lots of fake businesses and buys sponsorship at inflated prices!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Thats too easy! 7 years? So Team A funded by Steel factory. Steel factory now sets up 1 fake TV station and buys TV rights in huge amounts. Factory also sets up lots of fake businesses and buys sponsorship at inflated prices!

Result: government seizes control of steel factory and funds for violating laws and regulations = profit!

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

I would like to see an article where Putin said it. :amazed:

As I know, Putin said just one thesis - professional sport must be able to make money, because a government will decrease the level of state funding of pro sport. And "saved" money will be used for amateur sport instead. But it does not mean the government will not fund professional sport anymore.

Btw, the KHL as league is self sufficient now, clubs are not.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If he said it and he was pointed to teams, i cant imagine this. It is not realistic in Europe.

It would mean that the salaries have to come down a lot (by the 25-50% Rotenberg wants) and the ticket prices will have to go up while the sponsorship goes down to a "normal" level.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
You don't need to have a degree in economics to understand that KHL as a whole with all teams won't be self-sufficient in near future. Lower wages, increase ticket prices... LOL. Good luck with that. Russian people don't have enough money to keep this thing going - you always need some other sources to keep KHL at the level where it is now. As a self-sufficient league, KHL at best can be maybe as good as Czech league, not any better.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
You don't need to have a degree in economics to understand that KHL as a whole with all teams won't be self-sufficient in near future. Lower wages, increase ticket prices... LOL. Good luck with that. Russian people don't have enough money to keep this thing going - you always need some other sources to keep KHL at the level where it is now. As a self-sufficient league, KHL at best can be maybe as good as Czech league, not any better.

Jussi dreams that European hockey leagues, especially the KHL, to be as poor (players salaries) as possible & to give prospects to NHL clubs for free.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

It is in every league in Europe. Not only KHL. Ice-hockey is a burning place for money. Its a hobby. Expensive hobby.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It is in every league in Europe. Not only KHL. Ice-hockey is a burning place for money. Its a hobby. Expensive hobby.

Probably not so much in Sweden and Switzerland. Swedes now have the best tv contract in Europe that guarantees each team almost 5 million euros, much more than the teams player budgets.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
And if we read between the lines. The issue seems to be around Government funding of teams. I don't see why the government would care if the Magnikta steel plant continues to fund their team, or Servertal ect.

Plus the poorer teams seem to end up asking the local gov for money so maybe its an easy way to get rid of them for the master plan

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Nobody mentioned it, so I will. Chernyshenko confirmed for Russian media an interest from Italy, Switzerland, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan & China. Another source claim there is significant interest from Italy, Switzerland, Germany and United Kingdom, while German club should be a DEL team & Swiss should be a brand new team. Chernyshenko said that all potential newcomers will be analysed by the league & of course only two will be accepted before 2019/20 & another two before 2020/21 if, big IF, they will meet the league´s conditions. He said that newcomers can be Russian teams too but I do not believe this will happen. There is no potential for expansion inside Russia. It is first time when the league confirmed an interest from Japan. I have heard about serious interest from Germany a year ago, now it is confirmed by the league. I am suprised to hear about Switzerland, I thought it is a history. Many people, Swedish hockey federation said it publicly, thought that the KHL will not expand to Europe anymore... and they will be suprised. Why? Because Russians have one important character, they do not talk, they negotiate. And when they make a deal behind the scenes, everyone is suprised by a result.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I want to believe that Krasnoyarsk will have a KHL team in next five years. I have no idea why this plan wouldn't work. Don't tell me their potential is worse than Khanty-Mansiysk, Cherepovets or Podolsk. It is a great market that could be tapped if approached with care.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Nobody mentioned it, so I will. Chernyshenko confirmed for Russian media an interest from Italy, Switzerland, Germany, United Kingdom, Japan & China. Another source claim there is significant interest from Italy, Switzerland, Germany and United Kingdom, while German club should be a DEL team & Swiss should be a brand new team. Chernyshenko said that all potential newcomers will be analysed by the league & of course only two will be accepted before 2019/20 & another two before 2020/21 if, big IF, they will meet the league´s conditions. He said that newcomers can be Russian teams too but I do not believe this will happen. There is no potential for expansion inside Russia. It is first time when the league confirmed an interest from Japan. I have heard about serious interest from Germany a year ago, now it is confirmed by the league. I am suprised to hear about Switzerland, I thought it is a history. Many people, Swedish hockey federation said it publicly, thought that the KHL will not expand to Europe anymore... and they will be suprised. Why? Because Russians have one important character, they do not talk, they negotiate. And when they make a deal behind the scenes, everyone is suprised by a result.

There is definitely some interest in the UK. One of Team GBs ex goalies is involved in some of the marketing for it and usually posting some cryptic things on Linkdin.

People assume it was to do with the Nottingham Panthers/Braehead Clan owner Neil Black as he's quite successful running teams in the UK - however he denied it recently.

A lot of Russians in London though, especially Mr Roman Abramovic

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Hi guys,

Earlier this year I was in Poland attending some first division games as well as the lower ranked division.
Good vibe and a very nice addition to my stay in the country.
While spending time there, I've heard rumors that a Polish team might join ( later) the KHL.

I know it are only rumors, but thoughts?

I will reply you here.

There was rumor about Polish team before 2014 (Medvedev era).

Now, with the new strategy, the KHL plans to expand with 4 more teams in near future (2019 & 2020). There is interest from Asia (JPN, CHN) and Europe (GER, SUI, GB, ITA, Crowns). No rumors about Poland anymore. If there were, a Polish club would have no chance because the league has many applications & only 4 spots. You need to take into account Asia, so one or two spots. IMO the league will accept two or three European clubs, preferably from Germany & Switzerland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->