KHL Expansion Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I don't think you should used a team that folded after 2 years to prove a point.

I'm talking about attendance. Lev surely wasn't "felt" like historical teams Sparta or Slavia, but boy, did you see their arena during the Gagarin Cup finals?
And in Helsinki it would be just the same.
People pays for good-quality hockey and the KHL is higher quality. You may like or not like it, but it's like that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm talking about attendance. Lev surely wasn't "felt" like historical teams Sparta or Slavia, but boy, did you see their arena during the Gagarin Cup finals?
People pays for good-quality hockey and the KHL is higher quality. You may like or not like it, but it's like that.

They had no competition at the time in Prague, all the Prague club had been knocked out of the playoffs already.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
They had no competition at the time in Prague, all the Prague club had been knocked out of the playoffs already.

I am not going to pretend that Lev had more pull. Not after 1-2 years of existence. Should the team survive for say 5 years, then it'd be a different song, but I guess we'll never know. But KHL is high-quality hockey, you can't deny that, Jokerit in the Gagarin cup finals would have the same attendance.
And it would be great, both for the KHL, the team, and the fans.
Only the haters would not be happy :naughty:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I am not going to pretend that Lev had more pull. Not after 1-2 years of existence. Should the team survive for say 5 years, then it'd be a different song, but I guess we'll never know. But KHL is high-quality hockey, you can't deny that, Jokerit in the Gagarin cup finals would have the same attendance.
And it would be great, both for the KHL, the team, and the fans.
Only the haters would not be happy :naughty:

I can, Hartwall Arena capacity is only 13500. :D

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I am not going to pretend that Lev had more pull. Not after 1-2 years of existence. Should the team survive for say 5 years, then it'd be a different song, but I guess we'll never know.
It's sad that Lev folded the season after. I'm sure they would've at least pulled 7000 in average after the great matchup against Magnitka. But it wasn't financial sustainable to have a budget at €27.3m, which is why I'm against the Crowns idea. To even have a roster comparable to Lev's, they would even have to add more to the budget due to the heavy taxation.

But KHL is high-quality hockey, you can't deny that, Jokerit in the Gagarin cup finals would have the same attendance.
I'm pretty sure Jokerit would've filled the arena if they passed the first round since they would've played against SKA (and they would've had to play in Espoo due to the figure skating championship if they were to reach the conference finals). But it's not fair to compare Jokerit and Lev. Jokerit has a rich history and a big fan base, Lev was totally dependent on the other Prague teams' failure. Keep in mind that Lev's average attendance in the playoffs was 4898 until Sparta got knocked out of the Czech playoffs.

metmag

Mar 4, 2013

Just finished the quarter finals and there's already no Stockholm team in SHL :naughty::popcorn:

metmag

Mar 4, 2013

Don't worry, they'll be there in big numbers for the KHL, and they'll be there at the regular season NHL game in Sweden this upcoming year. Demand for top-tier hockey is high. Especially with local talent. Diluted domestic product is fun and sentimental, but the higher level also has a solid market.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
The budget was absolutely sustainable for Lev. There were other issues of a strategic character.

Care to share more?

I traveled to Prague for the finals against Magnitka, great experience, big packed arena and a great game of hockey. I wish this Lev project would survive.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Care to share more?

I traveled to Prague for the finals against Magnitka, great experience, big packed arena and a great game of hockey. I wish this Lev project would survive.

Hockey was just means for business. The Russian owners or, rather, their consortium had an interest in completion of one of Czech nuclear power stations. That was, however, stopped by the Czech Finance Minister (and most likely next PM).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hockey was just means for business. The Russian owners or, rather, their consortium had an interest in completion of one of Czech nuclear power stations. That was, however, stopped by the Czech Finance Minister (and most likely next PM).

Wasn't there also a police investigation into both owners soon after the folding?

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Wasn't there also a police investigation into both owners soon after the folding?
I can't confirm nor deny this, I don't know. What I know is that one of the then two major shareholders of Lev - a Czech guy who also co-owns hockey Sparta Prague - had some tax issues last year.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
:handclap:

I should have known! It all makes sense now.

If you're implying that Exarz is a KHL hater then you're wrong. He's the closest thing to a Swedish KHL fan there is on this website. What he is saying, which is 100% true, is that Stockholm is a city with an insane focus on football.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
If you're implying that Exarz is a KHL hater then you're wrong. He's the closest thing to a Swedish KHL fan there is on this website. What he is saying, which is 100% true, is that Stockholm is a city with an insane focus on football.
This is perhaps an aspect that some people might want to realize. In all European countries, besides Czech Republic, Slovakia and Belgium, football is the most popular sport by far; at least in terms of TV viewership. In Czechia and Slovakia ice hockey is the most popular sport. In Belgium it is tennis.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I can't confirm nor deny this, I don't know. What I know is that one of the then two major shareholders of Lev - a Czech guy who also co-owns hockey Sparta Prague - had some tax issues last year.

So that is a reason why Speychal sold Sparta to Bříza....

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

Thanks

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This is perhaps an aspect that some people might want to realize. In all European countries, besides Czech Republic, Slovakia and Belgium, football is the most popular sport by far; at least in terms of TV viewership. In Czechia and Slovakia ice hockey is the most popular sport. In Belgium it is tennis.

Pretty sure in Lithuania basketball beats everything by a country mile (which is like, whatever) BUT more importantly with Porzingis Latvia is leaning that way too. Their basketball team is pretty much on the same level as hockey one already anyway.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
:handclap:

I should have known! It all makes sense now.

It does make sense since both Djurgården and AIK play in the top tier football league. Their fans have no room for Crowns.

Plus, for Crowns to be relevant in the scenario you're talking about they would need to reach the conference finals/Gagarin Cup finals and good luck getting the money for that budget.

I would love to see both AIK and Malmö (sorry Jonimaus ;) ) in the KHL but I'm just being realistic and I can't see it happen in the near future. Crowns is a complete joke and they would just kill future realistic expansion plans.

Swedish KHL fan

Apr 25, 2016
Västerås
I would love to see both AIK and Malmö in the KHL but I'm just being realistic and I can't see it happen in the near future. Crowns is a complete joke and they would just kill future realistic expansion plans.

The thing is, that as long as the federation is against KHL we won´t see any Swedish KHL team.

If Västerås joined KHL it would at least be two of us in the audience, but now they even seems to fail to remain in Allsvenskan.

By the way, look what i found the 1st of April:

http://hockeybladet.nu/khl/avslojar-har-ar-sveriges-forsta-khl-lag/

Latkafan

May 26, 2016
Who cares about Finnish league title?

Currently, in Finland the Finnish league is followed extensively. Everybody is discussing about Tampere derby. Also other playoff games are getting lot of attention.

Very few persons follow KHL in Finland after end of February. Some hockey enthusiasts know who is still left in KHL playoffs. KHL is not getting any media attention. NHL gets some attention, mainly how Finns, especially some young talents like Laine are performing.

The Finnish league is getting huge amount of media coverage and people, politicians, artists, chefs etc. are talking about the Finnish league.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

Might call for a new topic but why/how are Swedes so into soccer? Considering you have one of the best hokey leagues in the world available to watch... and then they decide to go be bored to death for 90 minutes watching some morons dive around the grass :shakehead

Anyway screw a Swedish team. Swedish fans don't seem to care about hockey that isn't in Swedish - look at the CHL! And please screw this 'Crowns' name is so damn horrible!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Might call for a new topic but why/how are Swedes so into soccer? Considering you have one of the best hokey leagues in the world available to watch... and then they decide to go be bored to death for 90 minutes watching some morons dive around the grass :shakehead

Anyway screw a Swedish team. Swedish fans don't seem to care about hockey that isn't in Swedish - look at the CHL! And please screw this 'Crowns' name is so damn horrible!

Hockey used to be bigger still around the the early 90'd but then came along World Cup '94 and the bronze medal. The EHT games between Finland and Sweden in Globen used to be almost guaranteed sell outs until about 15 ears ago but then it wavered off. In my opinion, Sweden need to be doing poorly in football and a hockey prospect that creates special interest among all hockey fans in the country needs to hit the spotlight. Foppa, Sedins or Zetterberg were players like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad