News Article: Khan breaks it down....

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The Habs just scored 2/3 of our goal total for the series in one OT game. And 3 of those goals came from d-men. Just shows the importance of having offensive d-men on your roster.
And don't the Pens Dmen lead their team in points. So offense from defence might be very mportant.
Boston nearly outshot Montreal by 20 and doubled them in scoring chances. Just goes to show the importance of having elite goaltending for a game.

Price was the best player on the ice (with a couple breaks and a great defensive play by Gallagher). That was the difference. That and somehow Montreal only gave Boston 2 PPs despite the fact that they gave up over 50 shots. In their first PP opportunity, Boston must have had 3-5 quality chances. It was almost laughable that they didn't actually bury one.

That plus Rask didn't have his best game.

If Montreal expects to win this series in that fashion then Price will be the heavy Conn Smythe favorite after round 2.
To be honest Price was as lucky as Howard in game 1. The Habs won the same way we did, they were lucky. I do not think Price outplays Howard in game 1. It will be interesting to see what happens in game 2. I think the Habs had a much easier series than the Bruins.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
To be honest Price was as lucky as Howard in game 1. The Habs won the same way we did, they were lucky. I do not think Price outplays Howard in game 1. It will be interesting to see what happens in game 2. I think the Habs had a much easier series than the Bruins.

I disagree. Howard played well and had the one "lucky" save on the Lucic tip. Other than that, Detroit played toe-to-toe with Boston in game 1. The shots were nearly identical. The difference in that game was Datsyuk making an all world play.

Price played all world in a game that he faced a lot more rubber, and particularly, a lot more quality rubber than Rask had to. At times it looked like Boston was on a PP against Montreal in game 1. They were just hemming them in their own zone shift after shift but Price and a few bounces/defensive plays were the reason why they were able to hold on and win.

That and Rask looked human.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I disagree. Howard played well and had the one "lucky" save on the Lucic tip. Other than that, Detroit played toe-to-toe with Boston in game 1. The shots were nearly identical. The difference in that game was Datsyuk making an all world play.

Price played all world in a game that he faced a lot more rubber, and particularly, a lot more quality rubber than Rask had to. At times it looked like Boston was on a PP against Montreal in game 1. They were just hemming them in their own zone shift after shift but Price and a few bounces/defensive plays were the reason why they were able to hold on and win.

That and Rask looked human.

I did not watch the game just highlights. But I think both us and Habs were lucky to win game 1

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Hold on to a pick for once? You do realize that since 2009 Detroit has acquired more draft picks than it has traded away right? In that time we have traded away one high end prospect, which was this year in Jarnkrok. Did you realize in his tenure as GM the prospect he traded who has had the best NHL career was Mike Knuble, followed by Tomas Fleischmann?

The Red Wings current situation has a lot more to do with not having draft picks higher than, what, 19th overall for 20 years than it does with Ken Holland letting prospects mature longer than any other organization would. And based on the current NHL climate the only way of changing that is to blow our team up, suck for 4-6 years and hope our top picks turn out like Chicago, Colorado and Pittsburghs did as opposed to Edmonton or the Islanders. I'd much prefer our current model than gambling like that. But maybe that's just me.

Since 2009 the red wings have drafted in the first round only twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad