Khabibulin not to play at WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
According to Gazeta.ru, Khabibulin will not play for Russia at the World Cup. This leaves Russia without top class goaltending, since Nabokov won't play due to surgery. Khabibulin declared that all the mess surrounding the federation was the main cause of his refusal. :mad: :mad: :mad: a%?*ole

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Slick Nick said:
According to Gazeta.ru, Khabibulin will not play for Russia at the World Cup. This leaves Russia without top class goaltending, since Nabokov won't play due to surgery. Khabibulin declared that all the mess surrounding the federation was the main cause of his refusal. :mad: :mad: :mad: a%?*ole

They're going to start rolling in. A lot of players are embarassed with what happened there. The only guys who will play are guys who will be 100% ready to go, and willing the play (RSL vets and young players)

Last edited:

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
i hadn't heard that nabokov is going to be out. anyone know what the surgery's for?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
You know what guys? I don't care anymore ... I'll be back in 10 years when the atmosphere will be better.

On the other hand Gazeta.ru is writing so much ******** : in this same article they said (again!) that Fedorov didn't play in Salt Lake City. :lol: So I don't know if they can be trusted.

Estey

May 17, 2004
Saint John, NB
man I hope that Khabby will be there. THis tourny is supposed to showcase the bast of the best against the best. So if I win I want to beat the best, and Russia without Khabby and others would be a shame

what exactly are the players revolting against anyways? A person? An ideal?
what?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Estey said:
what exactly are the players revolting against anyways? A person? An ideal? what?

they're embarassed because the Russian Federation handled this so badly. With not wanting Tikhonov to coach, to needing to have the roster deadline extended because they didn't have a coach. it was just embarassing for them.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
MOGiLNY said:
sport-express reported this as well, so this is true
Yeah they also said that Kovalchuk might not play.

But 2 days ago I read his interview in Sovetsky Sport and he said the opposite.

Anyway those who think they will see the best against the best at the World Cup, count Russia out because from the start it was certain that some of the top Russian talent wouldn't accept to play.

tml_4ever

It's Chaotic
May 24, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Tell me this. if khabby tradded in his russian citizenship for a say, US one, do you think he would play? now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he should do this, but what do you think?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Patrick said:
"We have no chance of winning based on the current situation surrounding the preparations of our national team," Khabibulin was quoted as saying by Sport-Express newspaper. "I have already had a similar experience before the 1996 World Cup when there was total chaos in our organization.

Why wasn't this a problem for the Olympics in 98 and 2002? I know he didn't play in 98 either because of Tikhonov taking his gold medal (and won Silver with Trefilov in net anyways)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Because in 2002 Putin said "Slava (Fetisov), you're da man!"

And everything went right.

Dropkick Alex

Jan 30, 2004
Amherst, New York
tml_4ever said:
Tell me this. if khabby tradded in his russian citizenship for a say, US one, do you think he would play? now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he should do this, but what do you think?
I dont think he would do it. He turned his back on his own country which I really dont respect. But hes probably really tired. So that could be a factor to I just think he could of responded in a better way.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
After world championships I tought that it is so bad that it can't get any worse, but it seems I was wrong. I would like to say now that it can't get worse, but I'm not sure what will happen next week. I think this is right time for Steblin to resign. One more thing, I don't understand why Putin didn't interfere. I now, president shouldn't interfere in sports but we are talking about Russia. I'm sure he is aware of the situation so why is he not doing anything. After all, it was he's decision to name Fetisov as head coach in 2002. If he did it once, he can interfere again! I mean, the world is laughing and Russian international hockey has never been so bad! It's time for Putin to say: ''Steblin, f... off!!!''

RoyIsALegend*

For a nation that has produced and continues to produce dazzling talents, this hockey federation is in shambles. What a public embarassment to have players turning down the invitations after already named to the team.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
People, I'm telling you, forget those stupid Russians! Do as if they were not even playing. Khabby said it himself : in 96 it was chaos, this time it's not any better ...

I'm rooting for Sweden as of now! Go Forsberg! :banana:

Oh and I forgot : don't ever invite Khabibulin again! :mad:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
TORRUS said:
After world championships I tought that it is so bad that it can't get any worse, but it seems I was wrong. I would like to say now that it can't get worse, but I'm not sure what will happen next week. I think this is right time for Steblin to resign. One more thing, I don't understand why Putin didn't interfere. I now, president shouldn't interfere in sports but we are talking about Russia. I'm sure he is aware of the situation so why is he not doing anything. After all, it was he's decision to name Fetisov as head coach in 2002. If he did it once, he can interfere again! I mean, the world is laughing and Russian international hockey has never been so bad! It's time for Putin to say: ''Steblin, f... off!!!''

Man it's the World Cup, not the Olympics. Putin won't care.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
CSKA said:
cool down wilka !

Ty uweren schto ty pravda russkii ? :dunno:

Dude, the Federation is crap. The players are crap. Listen, I still want them to win, but I don't really care if Slovakia kicks their asses like 6-1.

PS. Fedorov : please get out of this shithole :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->