Key Moment?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
After our great start things started to get a bit shakey. For me the key to making sure we made the play offs was the Phaneuf trade. It gave us some extra experience on the blue line and I get the impression it gave some needed presence in the room. Obviously there were lots of other factors and Blake made some nice decisions with bringing the likes of Mitchell and Rieder in. However the Phaneuf trade was a fairly big call, and he seems to have gotten it spot on.

Reactions: crassbonanza

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
I Phanuef that has a lot to do with it. The more I watch him, the more I see how calm he is on the back end. I haven't really seen his shortcomings besides being a touch slow with his speed. But our system works without a ton of speed. And hearing how he's good in the locker room is always a positive.

Reactions: crassbonanza

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Agreed on both.

Dion standing up to Zadorov sealed my fandom of his.

He’s not a one off like Vinny and Iggy but he Is in that category of glad to have them for me.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Carter returning from injury.

Since Carter's return there's literally been 4 or 5 games the Kings wouldn't have even gotten a staindings-point in if it wasn't for him. That makes a massive difference.

Kopitar was carrying the team on his back, but it wasn't sustainable. No Carter = No Playoffs.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Winning both Vegas games helped me believe we’d make it.

Phaneuf trade didn’t really spark our record, but we got loads better.

Carter returning as well.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
15-7-3 record since acquiring Phaneuf, who also has 10 points in 25 games.

The Kings badly needed another dman who could log top 4 minutes, and Phaneuf has provided them with that.

And to think some thought he wouldn't be able to help the team. And that also included Kings fans who questioned the trade.

I will be honest, I liked the trade, but didn't think it would pay off as well as it has, I thought it was gonna be 50/50 how Phaneuf fit in etc

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
15-7-3 record since acquiring Phaneuf, who also has 10 points in 25 games.

The Kings badly needed another dman who could log top 4 minutes, and Phaneuf has provided them with that.

And to think some thought he wouldn't be able to help the team. And that also included Kings fans who questioned the trade.
I questioned that trade. So glad to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kopitar's goal late in regulation against Vegas.

I would agree that would probably have to be the singular moment.

Overall, their record with and without Carter is pretty significant. 28-23-4 without him, which is 89 points in 82 games. 17-5-4 with him, which is 120 points. Even if you take the more realistic 12-5-3 since he got back, that's 111 points.

This is why MVP talk is always so damn subjective. Kopitar kept the team afloat, but look what they do with Carter added to the mix. Those two may be good, but look at the difference Brown has made. Quick was basically out all year last year. He's back, having to save more shots, and more difficult shots, but without the combined 12-1-5 record/.930sv% from Kuemper and Campbell, things could be different.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Oddly, this may have had the side effect of focusing him too
I haven't seen any outbursts from him since then. Haven't even really seen him yell at the ref since then. But he also hasn't gotten any penalties since that incident I don't think.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Phaneuf's wife probably is also happy he is now living where she makes her living.

Blake in less than a year has made some very shrewd moves.

I also like Nate Thompson on the grinder line, a playoff tested guy.

Oh Brickley had some nice passes last night as well, a few mistakes but that is to be expected. You can tell he was doing some of the stuff he did at college and the NHL vets were picking his pocket or taking away the simple pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingTrouty

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
Obviously the key was when Jake Muffin acted like a girl and tried to duck a check he should have absorbed, 3-0-1 since! Thanks Jake.

Fine, the key is Jeff Carter, it's always Jeff Carter. They probably win the division if he's healthy all year.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Kings have a solid core. Any sagging vet has a real good chance to find success here.

And good things happen when you add Carter around deadline time. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad