Player Discussion Kevin Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Reminded me of Kase in his first couple of call-ups. Gets knocked off the puck a bit easily, but he looks like he’s reading plays at an almost-NHL level.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He was ok, some definite skill there the question is if he has enough to overcome his size.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Pretty much what I expected. Would've liked to see him get a shot or 2 more but not much he could do. He took a couple big hits and kept on going. Most are concerned about his size so that's something that should be noted.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Isn't he one of the Gulls best PP players? Thought he should have had some PP time on the second unit.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
How did he look? I saw he got a nice ice time and some shots on goal. What do you think?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
How did he look? I saw he got a nice ice time and some shots on goal. What do you think?
He's been pretty solid. Nothing amazing so far but shows flashes of skill and doesn't look totally afraid out there despite being among the smallest on the ice. He's probably always going to be overmatched physically, but I like his skill

Reactions: Kalv

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I think he looks good for his second game. He doesn't shy away from going to the corners and in front of the net. Hopefully more ice time will benefit him and maybe if he keeps up good playe he can sneak onto the 2nd PP unit.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Roy to me has the look of a classic AHL-NHL tweener. Lots of skill but not big, not strong, and not fast. He looked pretty effective yesterday though.
Just watched the game and it`s exactly what I thought - he looked like he will be in the middle of NHL and AHL. I think it`s because he doesn`t have nor the speed nor the crafty plays that would compensate his size. He does goes to the net though and props to that, I was actually impressed. But he`s no Shaw (the other guy)

If he played in Northeastern he`s probably watched Bruins a lot, maybe he had some extra adrenaline for this game, have to see how he continues in next couple of games

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
So how's this kids game progressing at the NHL level? Drafted him many years ago late in a keeper league I'm in so just curious to see what everyone's opinion is. I don't have centre ice so I can't watch him and it's Hard to find any information on him since he's just another late pick. I always found him to be an intriguing prospect though because of the stupid USHL numbers he put up which is why I took him in our 5th or 6th round.

Anyways, thx for any opinions and what not ahead of time.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
A nice pair of mitts and good hustle, and good speed. The puck seems to follow him around now. I hope we keep him up, but I don't know if we have room...

Ritchie - Getzlaf - Kase
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Rakell - Wagner - Perry
Roy - Vermette - Shaw/Boll

Roy likely wouldn't see good minutes with good linemates - I'm struggling to come up with a lineup where he would fit in. Possibly if we move Rakell back to C, Roy could play with Rakell and Perry on the 3rd line, and Wagner goes to LW on 4th line.

I like his play. Time will tell if he's more like Cory Conacher or Mathieu Perreault, and I'm skeptical of small forwards (especially given that the rest of our forwards tend be huge and lumbering), but hey - I'd like to have another Kase on our hands.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I'm not sure he has a long-term NHL career. There's some skill, but he's just not strong enough to win puck battles with consistency and not skilled enough to add to the rest his game. He works hard, has good vision, and skates well, but I see more of a Keith Aucoin-level tweener. Enough skill to be a star in the AHL, but not quite enough to stick with the big club. He's had some good games, but he overall seems like a non-factor most nights. Which isn't necessarily his fault considering the short stick Carlyle's giving him in terms of usage and linemates, but he's still not really someone with staying power.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
A nice pair of mitts and good hustle, and good speed. The puck seems to follow him around now. I hope we keep him up, but I don't know if we have room...

Ritchie - Getzlaf - Kase
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Rakell - Wagner - Perry
Roy - Vermette - Shaw/Boll

Roy likely wouldn't see good minutes with good linemates - I'm struggling to come up with a lineup where he would fit in. Possibly if we move Rakell back to C, Roy could play with Rakell and Perry on the 3rd line, and Wagner goes to LW on 4th line.

I like his play. Time will tell if he's more like Cory Conacher or Mathieu Perreault, and I'm skeptical of small forwards (especially given that the rest of our forwards tend be huge and lumbering), but hey - I'd like to have another Kase on our hands.
He's not replacing Grant and I think if Kase is healthy he gets sent down as they are similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad