Injury Report: Kevin Klein: strained oblique and will miss 2-3 weeks

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Unfortunate for Klein, but it'll be good to see Mac get consistent playing time for a couple of weeks. Hopefully he impresses.

I think fans who didn't see him in Hartford last season will be pleasantly surprised. For one, he hits HARD! Fans got a glimpse of that when he leveled Schultz against Philly. I personally saw him do that many times in Hartford last season, and we really haven't had a defensemen like him in a while.

Look for him tomorrow. He will be lining up the body against the Isles all game tomorrow.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
would love Skjei to get time with the club, even if just to watch and practice. I'm not sure if this year's Hartford team is the best environment for his development. :help:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wouldn't be surprised to see McIlrath and Matt Martin have a go. Martin is really rough and heavy on the forecheck and he looks to start ****. He's also on the 4th line and AV's going to do his level best to keep Dylan away from Tavares---probably Boyle away from Tavares as well.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
would love Skjei to get time with the club, even if just to watch and practice. I'm not sure if this year's Hartford team is the best environment for his development. :help:

I think it is. He is getting some big minutes to adjust to the pro level. Whether the team in front of him can score or not it kinda a moot issue IMO. I actually think it's almost perfect for a first year pro...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Girardi is not coming out of the lineup any time soon. People need to move on.

That's fine because Marc Staal is playing so much worse anyways. I don't mind keeping Girardi at all as long as his assignments become more manageable.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wouldn't be surprised to see McIlrath and Matt Martin have a go. Martin is really rough and heavy on the forecheck and he looks to start ****. He's also on the 4th line and AV's going to do his level best to keep Dylan away from Tavares---probably Boyle away from Tavares as well.

Yeah to stick Girardi with him as much as possible. :help:

NY*

It would be nice if McIlrath can take Boyles spot permanently, we need some fresh legs on defense.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

We haven't had anyone in the lineup to counter Martin in years. That guy throws hard, slightly late hits every single game. He really punishes our dmen. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a player like that on my team, but I hope Big Mac annihilates him tonight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gonna post the same thing in the Girardi and Klein threads because I think the injuries of both of them are the main reasons we've been so bad the last few weeks.

We have really bad depth on the right side of defense. McDonagh is not as good on his off-side, McIlrath has had a decent rookie season but he's not ready for big minutes, Boyle doesn't defend at an NHL level. This also causes problems on the left side. Staal playing top pair minutes when he should be playing bottom pair minutes with his current play. Summers playing NHL minutes when he should be playing AHL minutes. Skjei wasn't NHL ready.

I'll even admit that I was wrong thinking Klein was getting overrated. I thought McIlrath was starting to get to a point where he could replicate Klein's role, but I think the last week or two has shown that he's not ready for that. Girardi's going to continue to get a lot of hate on HF because most regard advanced stats so highly, but I think its fairly evident that the team is a lot worse without him playing healthy. The healthy part is important because most athletes can not be effective at the highest level of their sport playing with a fairly significant injury.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
They aren't going to put him in if there is a risk he will re-injure it. If it just soreness and pain then he can go back in if he can deal with the pain.

Staal was clearly playing injured yesterday, his wrist or arm, or something...so i'd be shocked if he was in the lineup tomorrow.

ThatsNashty61*

Gonna post the same thing in the Girardi and Klein threads because I think the injuries of both of them are the main reasons we've been so bad the last few weeks.

We have really bad depth on the right side of defense. McDonagh is not as good on his off-side, McIlrath has had a decent rookie season but he's not ready for big minutes, Boyle doesn't defend at an NHL level. This also causes problems on the left side. Staal playing top pair minutes when he should be playing bottom pair minutes with his current play. Summers playing NHL minutes when he should be playing AHL minutes. Skjei wasn't NHL ready.

I'll even admit that I was wrong thinking Klein was getting overrated. I thought McIlrath was starting to get to a point where he could replicate Klein's role, but I think the last week or two has shown that he's not ready for that. Girardi's going to continue to get a lot of hate on HF because most regard advanced stats so highly, but I think its fairly evident that the team is a lot worse without him playing healthy. The healthy part is important because most athletes can not be effective at the highest level of their sport playing with a fairly significant injury.

McIlrath has been great. What has shown you that he cannot play 2RD? He and McD are the only guys defending consistently.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McIlrath has been great. What has shown you that he cannot play 2RD? He and McD are the only guys defending consistently.

He's been better than the other guys, I agree, but those other guys aren't playing at an NHL level.

McIlrath has not been as good the last few games. He's been at fault for a few goals in recent games, and his play has been a lot looser in his own zone. Losing track of his mark, getting beat by skill, puck management hasn't been as good, just the little things that come with a step up in defensive assignments.

I'm a big fan of McIlrath, just think he's struggled a little bit adjusting to playing against tougher competition. Easy decision for me that he stays in the lineup over Boyle when the other two come back, but I don't think he's ready yet for more than sheltered minutes with Yandle.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He's been better than the other guys, I agree, but those other guys aren't playing at an NHL level.

McIlrath has not been as good the last few games. He's been at fault for a few goals in recent games, and his play has been a lot looser in his own zone. Losing track of his mark, getting beat by skill, puck management hasn't been as good, just the little things that come with a step up in defensive assignments.

I'm a big fan of McIlrath, just think he's struggled a little bit adjusting to playing against tougher competition. Easy decision for me that he stays in the lineup over Boyle when the other two come back, but I don't think he's ready yet for more than sheltered minutes with Yandle.

What exactly are you referring to? He's been cleanly beat 2, maybe 3 times since Klein went down............

Staal, on the other hand, is getting burned on his flat-footed stride at least once a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->