Player Discussion Kevin Hayes Part III

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Kevin Hayes plays for the New York Rangers.

13253384A.jpg

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kevin's game has "slowed down" if that's even possible, lol. Seriously though, the kid has had a good 1/3 season thus far, but seems like whatever chemistry he had with JT has gone awry, and I am assuming it's because JT's speed game has been slowed down because of an undisclosed injury. I may be wrong but, i don't think so. Just a temporary bump in a long season.

Thinking he'll be revived with these much needed days off.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Kevin's game has "slowed down" if that's even possible, lol. Seriously though, the kid has had a good 1/3 season thus far, but seems like whatever chemistry he had with JT has gone awry, and I am assuming it's because JT's speed game has been slowed down because of an undisclosed injury. I may be wrong but, i don't think so. Just a temporary bump in a long season.

Thinking he'll be revived with these much needed days off.

I think so too. Plus, he's beginning to block more shots than before and it's really unnecessary. He looks to be in pain every time he does it and then hobbles to the bench.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Hayes is meeting tough competition recently when Zib is injured - it might explain why he is cold. Hayes is a 3rd line center in my view - perhaps he can improve, but I doubt it. I think his talent have limits.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Hayes is meeting tough competition recently when Zib is injured - it might explain why he is cold. Hayes is a 3rd line center in my view - perhaps he can improve, but I doubt it. I think his talent have limits.

104Pts in 194GP
Career 44 point player

Last season that's 108 among all NHL forwards

50Pts would get you 82nd among forwards

55Pts would get you 57th among forwards

60Pts would get you 37th among forwards

So at 55Pts your looking at a top 60 offensive forward

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Those big young centers carry a lot of trade value. Might be able to trick a western team into thinking he is better than he is.

If not, Hayes needs the right kind of system and linemates to succeed. Ideally he'd turn into a homeless man's Joe Thornton, but he'd need to run a possession line and get a lot better on the powerplay.

Never been convinced that this character has the drive to be more than okay. You need to be competitive and motivated to be great in today's NHL.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, but he didn`t play against other teams top lines last year, or the beginning of this season.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Yes, but he didn`t play against other teams top lines last year, or the beginning of this season.

You put up numbers getting PP time... Hayes is getting 1:29 a game... it's why I think JT Miller has a whole other level at 1:21 a game

Hayes lost 15lbs over the summer and became good enough defensively to get a role on the PK (4th among forwards in SH ice time)

His FO% has gone from 35% to 46%

His overall game has improved substantially... and he'll put up 50Pts this season without first unit PP time

He's a gem

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You put up numbers getting PP time... Hayes is getting 1:29 a game... it's why I think JT Miller has a whole other level at 1:21 a game

Hayes lost 15lbs over the summer and became good enough defensively to get a role on the PK (4th among forwards in SH ice time)

His FO% has gone from 35% to 46%

His overall game has improved substantially... and he'll put up 50Pts this season without first unit PP time

He's a gem

You've lost your ability to meme, I'm afraid.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

3rd line center?? Um...ok, no.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Him and Miller are like a tag-team of terrible the last few weeks.

Miller looks injured to me though. Hayes just looks like his usual stupid self.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Him and Miller are like a tag-team of terrible the last few weeks.

Miller looks injured to me though. Hayes just looks like his usual stupid self.

if so, then miller injured his brain. his dumbness is showing itself too frequently lately. like he does stuff mostly good and then really bad, all in one play and it makes you go, wt freak ?

hayes has always been more dopey than cerebral. hes another who absolutely refuses to shoot. its like theres a noose around his nuggets tied to his stick.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Hayes likes to slow stuff down, it's okay to do that but changing up speed is the part of the equation he is still hopefully going to figure out.

Nash is actually quite good at it, he'll slow down here and there and wait for the defender to have to switch stride to try to keep the 'right" gap, right at that point he likes to change speed to try to catch the guy a half step off.

When it works it's awesome, usually he goes to the outside or inside of a player with room to do something form there, when it doesn't work it looks like he just slowed down and stayed there for no good reason and the defender swipes the puck away as he runs out of room(cause the guy kept the right gap without over committing)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He would make his life a lot easier if he'd stop carrying it into the zone, deferring to his backhand, and then forcing a pass across that gets intercepted by the opposing dman. Just take the rush shot entering the zone in the middle of the slot on your forehand.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Hayes is doing just fine, he's not exactly surrounded by talent at this time with all these injuries. At the least he's still creating chances but guys like Miller, Grabner, his other rotating cast mates just aren't putting them in. He's generally playing well defensively too.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Didn't miller injure his thumb a couple weeks back blocking a shot?

I'm seeing it more in his skating personally. He looks slower and has a really awkward stride that I don't ever remember seeing from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->