Kessel

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Depending on who drafts him...yes, of course.

If St. Louis was to end up with him, I could see it easily. The Pens? He'd fit well on SC's wing. After that, I doubt it. It would be in his best interests to stay with the Gophers another year.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Thornton97 said:
Depending on who drafts him...yes, of course.

If St. Louis was to end up with him, I could see it easily. The Pens? He'd fit well on SC's wing. After that, I doubt it. It would be in his best interests to stay with the Gophers another year.
if the pens draft him, i see him going back to minnesota. judging from his time under poile in nashville, ray shero doesn't seem like the type of gm to rush young guys.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Considering Brule made it out of camp, I think Kessel certainly stands a chance.

The only problem is, Brule had the opportunity to go to camp without jeopardizing his CHL elegibility. I think Kessel has to sign a contract and give up the NCAA if he even wants to attend camp. I did read an interview where he said he was unsure of his plans next year (THN Draft Preview I believe).

Here is my guess per team:

Blues: Back to Minn., no support and will have awful season

Penguins: NHL, He could be a top scorer in the league on Crosby's wing

Blackhawks: Minn., see Blues

Capitals: No clue, though they did take Bourque after freshman year.

Bruins: NHL, I think he fits one of the top lines and can get support

Bryzga lol*

Yeah, i can't see him coming up next year. But I bet he'll be ready the year after. The only players I can see playing next year are whoever Washington and Chicago drafts. Pittburgh will more than likely wait, 3 amazing rookies in three years.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Beesfan said:
Considering Brule made it out of camp, I think Kessel certainly stands a chance.

The only problem is, Brule had the opportunity to go to camp without jeopardizing his CHL elegibility. I think Kessel has to sign a contract and give up the NCAA if he even wants to attend camp. I did read an interview where he said he was unsure of his plans next year (THN Draft Preview I believe).

Here is my guess per team:

Blues: Back to Minn., no support and will have awful season

Penguins: NHL, He could be a top scorer in the league on Crosby's wing

Blackhawks: Minn., see Blues

Capitals: No clue, though they did take Bourque after freshman year.

Bruins: NHL, I think he fits one of the top lines and can get support

I think a NCAA player can go to camp without signing under one major circumstance he has to pay his own way. Meaning plane ticket, hotel, meals, and other stuff.

Top scorer in the league in Pitt next year no way. If he was Crosby's wing 60-65 points I am being very nice. I would think if he came after his sophmore year 90 to 95 and depending on well he tears the NCAA up.

Moncton Wildcats pulled Bourque out of BU he signed with the Wildcats to win the Memorial Cup. Had a good showing in Caps camp and was assigned to Hershey.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
SPORTSMANIAC said:
Moncton Wildcats pulled Bourque out of BU he signed with the Wildcats to win the Memorial Cup. Had a good showing in Caps camp and was assigned to Hershey.

My understanding is that no one pulled Bourque from BU. He was a kid who simply wasn't cut out for college, and basically returning to BU wasn't really an option

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I cant really see Kessel playing in the NHL even on a team like the Pens, where he would put up numbers playing with Crosby or Malkin.......Blues wouldnt rush him either i dont think...........my bet is Kessel goes back to the Gophers one more year and wins a hobey baker award :eek:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If I'm a GM (and I'm not) there's no way that Kessel plays in the NHL next year. Players become UFA's after 7 years or at 27 YO. If you play an 18 YO kid in the NHL, you lose 2 prime years of the players career where you (at least hypothetically) get him at a discount before he's a UFA. To make that worthwhile, the player really has to be special, and I don't think that Kessel is ready to make that jump at this point in time.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
One thing Kessel has going for him at the U is that he will be looked at to really carry a heavy load. By then he will be drafted and can put all that behind him. All he will need to do this coming fall is play the game. Should make him a better hockey guy. As he will be looked at to lead the team in scoring, be the top center, probally be vocal or at least work hard and lead by example, be asked to play PK, and will probally see the opposing teams best D line up they have.

If he played pro, he would be sheltered. Kind of like his freshman year at the U. Would not learn lots of the intangables it takes to be great.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
SPORTSMANIAC said:
Top scorer in the league in Pitt next year no way. If he was Crosby's wing 60-65 points I am being very nice. I would think if he came after his sophmore year 90 to 95 and depending on well he tears the NCAA up.

By top scorer I meant he has the chance to be top 20 or so. This says more about Crosby than Kessel. I think in St. Louis, Kessel would get around 50 points. On Crosby's wing, 75-85 is certainly a possibility.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
Beukeboom Fan said:
If I'm a GM (and I'm not) there's no way that Kessel plays in the NHL next year. Players become UFA's after 7 years or at 27 YO. If you play an 18 YO kid in the NHL, you lose 2 prime years of the players career where you (at least hypothetically) get him at a discount before he's a UFA. To make that worthwhile, the player really has to be special, and I don't think that Kessel is ready to make that jump at this point in time.

I beleive he's 18 now and will be 19 before next season starts so if I draft Kessel, I will send him back to college for one more year and then put him in my line up for 2007-08

Transported Upstater

Personally, I give Kessel one more year at Minnesota, and then a year in the AHL.

Why? Phil Kessel is the type of player that MUST be on a scoring line to be effective. His game does not extrapolate to a NHL checking line. Therefore, he must be ready to make an impact in the NHL the moment he gets there, because he'll have to be on a 2nd line or so. I think a year in the AHL after his sophomore campaign at Minnesota would dramatically improve his readiness to play on a NHL scoring line.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
digitalmonkey said:
St. Louis will play him.
why?...the way the nhl is set up now, the longer a kid can stay in the minors and grow and become more nhl ready the longer you can keep him on your team a rock bottem prices....while he preforms at a higher level

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Depends on his camp. If he has a huge training camp there is no way any of the bottom feeders that have a shot at him would send him back. Ready means ready and he isn't some frail little twirp that has to fill out. If he is average to poor in camp I don't see any of those teams keeping him up either since he did not have such a dominant year in college that he won't find any new challenges.
BUT personally, I will be shocked if he is not in Pittsburgh's opening day lineup. Playing with Crosby and Malkin against the watered down training camp rosters I expect him to put up some fat numbers. If the Pens, as expected, go with a #1 and #1a center he will have two different styles of centermen to make him look good.
BTW that means Johnson to St Louis and Backstrom to Chicago.

digitalmonkey*

The Old Master said:
why?...the way the nhl is set up now, the longer a kid can stay in the minors and grow and become more nhl ready the longer you can keep him on your team a rock bottem prices....while he preforms at a higher level

The Blues need the hype he will bring to sell tickets.

Transported Upstater

nuck said:
Depends on his camp. If he has a huge training camp there is no way any of the bottom feeders that have a shot at him would send him back. Ready means ready and he isn't some frail little twirp that has to fill out. If he is average to poor in camp I don't see any of those teams keeping him up either since he did not have such a dominant year in college that he won't find any new challenges.
BUT personally, I will be shocked if he is not in Pittsburgh's opening day lineup. Playing with Crosby and Malkin against the watered down training camp rosters I expect him to put up some fat numbers. If the Pens, as expected, go with a #1 and #1a center he will have two different styles of centermen to make him look good.
BTW that means Johnson to St Louis and Backstrom to Chicago.

He won't go to training camp unless one of two situations occurs:

1) he pays his own way.
2) he signs with a team.

And if Kessel signs, I'd bet money on him not making an NHL roster right now.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
JoeIsAStud said:
My understanding is that no one pulled Bourque from BU. He was a kid who simply wasn't cut out for college, and basically returning to BU wasn't really an option

Correct.

Bourque did not like the academic requirements and made the decision to leave school. Moncton did not exert any more pressure than necessary. It was done from Bourque's end.

Transported Upstater

Kirk- NEHJ said:
Correct.

Bourque did not like the academic requirements and made the decision to leave school. Moncton did not exert any more pressure than necessary. It was done from Bourque's end.

"I wasn't a big fan of going to school and going to class. It just wasn't for me." :biglaugh:
-Chris Bourque

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
TransportedUpstater said:
"I wasn't a big fan of going to school and going to class. It just wasn't for me." :biglaugh:
-Chris Bourque

I don't understand why this is funny. I always hated school, too. I like to work, but I hate school. I went to college for a couple of years and I ****ing hated it. I work now. Big deal. Chris Bourque will be a whole lot more successful than either of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad