Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
monster_bertuzzi said:
I'm just going by what I heard - apparently Vasyunov is pretty good. It doesn't matter what he has done recently, he's proved himself to be a top 5 talent.

I remember hearing he was pretty good as well, but he hasn't really done anything since then. And, of course it matters what they've done recently, and I don't think he's a top 5 talent.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I agree with most that Kessel would go second overall this year. And he may go second overall next year too. Frolik looks like an elite talent. Both are potential superstars and their draft status will be decided over the course of the next year.

Joenssuu hasn't developed as much as those two this year but his size is still a huge advantage for him. The 2006 draft looks very deep, there are a solid 8-10 players that could are potential stars but Frolik and Kessel are one level ahead of the pack at this point.

Last edited:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Leachmeister2000 said:
would Kessel overtake Brule? or is that a really stupid question?

I think Kessel would overtake Brule for sure. They are both offensivly dynamic players but I Kessel has more upside and he does not have the penalty ''problems'' that people talk so much about Brule.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Leachmeister2000 said:

I don't know if every single team in the league would take Kessel over Brule right now but I believe the majority definitely would. And I believe the ones that wouldn't would be making a mistake.

If they were the same age coming off this same year it would be really close but the age advantage Kessel has puts him ahead of Brule.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Hes got 5 goals and 3 assits in 3 games....obviously 1st in points and also 1st in goals.

Thats pretty impressive.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Le Golie said:
I agree with most that Kessel would go second overall this year. And he may go second overall next year too. Frolik looks like an elite talent. Both are potential superstars and their draft status will be decided over the course of the next year.

Joenssuu hasn't developed as much as those two this year but his size is still a huge advantage for him. The 2006 draft looks very deep, there are a solid 8-10 players that could are potential stars but Frolik and Kessel are one level ahead of the pack at this point.

I agree with VOB who suggested that Peter Mueller could overtake both Frolik and Kessel for number one overall next year. He's not as flashy as Kessel but has probably as much talent and carries a considerably larger frame.

espo*

Leachmeister2000 said:
I think he already has.He's just not in this year's draft.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I agree with VOB who suggested that Peter Mueller could overtake both Frolik and Kessel for number one overall next year. He's not as flashy as Kessel but has probably as much talent and carries a considerably larger frame.

Maxwell or Toews could overtake everyone too, but like Mueller they are all chasing Frolik and Kessel at this very moment. Next year should be very interesting for all these guys.

bruins4777*

So do you guys think 2006 will be a great draft? 2003 good? Or is it just that the top 15 or so talents are gold, but it falls off after that? or what?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Le Golie said:
I don't know if every single team in the league would take Kessel over Brule right now but I believe the majority definitely would. And I believe the ones that wouldn't would be making a mistake.

If they were the same age coming off this same year it would be really close but the age advantage Kessel has puts him ahead of Brule.

Wow, 9 months.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Personally i'd take Frolik easilly before Kessel and have seen both i like both but Frolik i find the better player and Czech generally are better then American....

Last edited:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
AnThGrt said:
Personally i'd take Frolik easilly before Kessel and have seen both i like both but Frolik i find the better player and Russians generally are better then American....

Interesting.

Frolik is a Czech...so...I'm not sure who you're talking about...

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
mercury said:
I've read some Frolik=Jagr comparisons. Is this accurate, in either style or upside? Also, who does Kessel remind you of?

Frolik isn't big and strong enough to warrant a Jagr comparison (he's only 16, he could still grow quite a bit mind you), Id compare him to Elias right about now. As for Kessel - he has some fancy dancy stickhandling moves but not a top tier all around game at this point, I dont really know who he reminds me of. Maybe Chris Drury.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Le Golie said:
One hockey season. At this stage of the game that is huge.

at this stage it is not huge, in fact it means less than nothing.

you don't draft a player with the based on who is the best player right then with the intention of inserting them the following october. you picked them based on who you think will be the best player when they enter their prime...

if a gm thinks that kessel will be a much better player than brule but picks brule because brule is older and therefore more nhl ready at draft time then that gm is an absolute moron and should be fired.

and phil kessel is better now then brule is, so brule isn't even more ready he is just older.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
NYR469 said:
at this stage it is not huge, in fact it means less than nothing.

you don't draft a player with the based on who is the best player right then with the intention of inserting them the following october. you picked them based on who you think will be the best player when they enter their prime...

if a gm thinks that kessel will be a much better player than brule but picks brule because brule is older and therefore more nhl ready at draft time then that gm is an absolute moron and should be fired.

and phil kessel is better now then brule is, so brule isn't even more ready he is just older.

Right. Because no scout or GM values what they see in a player during their draft year. Kessel has an entire season more to develop his game before his judgement day. Brule's final season is done, so his judement day is right now.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
monster_bertuzzi said:
Frolik isn't big and strong enough to warrant a Jagr comparison (he's only 16, he could still grow quite a bit mind you), Id compare him to Elias right about now. As for Kessel - he has some fancy dancy stickhandling moves but not a top tier all around game at this point, I dont really know who he reminds me of. Maybe Chris Drury.

No offense to Chris Drury, who I like a great deal as a player, but you're really underrating Kessel's abilities with that comparision. He is an ELITE offensive player, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad