Kessel wants to be paid

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
It's called standard negotiations. Bruins will probably give him the max before training camp begins anyways.

People are making too big a deal out of this.

I agree with you 100%, this is the very beginning of negotiations, if the Bruins feel he is ready to play in the NHL, they will sign him to the max, if not, I figure they will tell him to go back to school for a year. Kessel did say he will do whatever the Bruins think is best for him.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Except I thought that NCAA players couldn't have an agent, hence can't be in negotiations, much, right? Well, ok, obviously NCAA players do get signed and have "talks" with player "advisors" all the time... and it gets swept under the carpet all the time... but is there a point at which the publicity level of the "negotiation" actually makes too big of a bump under the carpet? :dunno:

You are correct. NCAA Players do give up their eligibilty once they hire an agent. It has nothing to do with actually signing a contract as some on this board have suggested. Each NCAA sport seems to have different criteria though. In NCAA football, I believe they have deadline, predraft, with which they can decide to return, provided they don't hire an agent. In basketball they can actually declare for the draft and return to school if they don't like their draft position, again provided there is not an agent hired. Not sure about the NHL draft criteria, but I'm pretty sure any negotiations going on would have to be done without any agent involvement whatsoever.

Ruzicka38

Oh man
Jan 19, 2006
Hopedale
Kind've like when they could pony up the money for Martin Lapointe, but not Jason Allison.

Good one. How did Allison do after leaving Boston? I forget. Was he worth the money the B's wouldn't pay him? Please, refresh my memory.

PS: I don't think Kessel will make a huge impact this year, but I think he'll make the team. I don't like that his father is against him playing in Providence. Reminded me of Lindos's dad.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I think he's still a year away. The best thing that could happen to him would be return for a second year at the U of Minnesota, let him have a monster year, maybe win the national championship. Then bring him up next year.

He had a productive first year in the NCAA, but he wasn't the unstoppable force that many expected him to be. At the WJC, he piled up the points against Norway, and was a force on the PP, but at full strength, I was underwhelmed. (To me, the defining moment of his tournament was in the third period against Canada, when he tried his little deke on Ryan Parent and was pushed off the puck. It kind of summed up his tournament perfectly

Agree with pretty much everything you say but Ryan Parent is one of the best skating D-men I've ever seen. You won't see many forwards get around Parent on the rush at any level. Anyone who tries beating Parent with speed is in for a very long day (I just wish he could rush the puck worth a ^%#$(^#%).

dell

Oct 5, 2005
I don't think you can play in the AHL if you are 18 or 19. Kessel would have to play in the WHL. Part of the CBA, that 18 and 19's have to play in the NHL.

Jori

That might be a good thing because, according to Kessel's father, his son would rather return to Minnesota then spend time playing in the American Hockey League - the NHL's minor league.

"He's not going to sign a contract and go play in the American Hockey League," Kessel Sr. said. "If they want him, he's going to go play in the NHL. If they don't think he's ready for that and they'd like him to develop further, that's fine, too."

Kessel's father also said that while his son's ultimate goal is to play in the NHL, returning to play for the Gophers for another year wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2006/07/19/68608

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
Take anything that Sid Hartman says with a grain of salt. And specifically take this grain: He's a fool who often doesn't have the slightest idea what he's talking about. And this pertains to the sports that he's supposed to know something about ... football, baseball and basketball. If you can substantiate that this negotiation is happening anywhere else, then Sid probably heard it from them.

This is the most relevant post in the whole thread, IMO. Sid's the worst sportswriter in the Twin Cities, which is saying quite a bit in a town where Charley Walters is working. He's about 120 years old, and can't even remember which decade it was that he turned senile, but even that doesn't matter because he didn't know jack about hockey when he was in possession of his faculties. Nobody in the Twin Cities takes him seriously.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
I think Backstrom was offered the rookie maximum when the Capitals tried to sign him for this year but he turned it down for another year of development in the SEL

So you cant blame Kessel for asking that much b/c if the 4th overall pick was offered that and the fact that there wasnt much of difference between the two, how can you low ball him?

But I'm sure people will say that his attitude problem is what is driving him to ask for the maximum

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This is the most relevant post in the whole thread, IMO. Sid's the worst sportswriter in the Twin Cities, which is saying quite a bit in a town where Charley Walters is working. He's about 120 years old, and can't even remember which decade it was that he turned senile, but even that doesn't matter because he didn't know jack about hockey when he was in possession of his faculties. Nobody in the Twin Cities takes him seriously.
My brother is interning at the Star Tribune, and they handed out a paper with all the mistakes Hartman has made over the years to everyone. The paper was HUGE and so many of the mistakes were hilarious. The guy is senile.

kurri_17

Jul 10, 2006
K-W
i see no problem giving a number 5 overall the max contract considering his potential and that he is already 'nhl ready'...i would be scared though if there are already money issues

good lord, after what they gave chara and savard, giving kessel 850k should be a no brainer
if chara is 10% below potential they lose 750k worth of his paycheck (think economically) - if kessel rolls over dead they only lose 850k - whats the argument about - 100k?

the oil gave schremp 850k for cripes sake and he was 25 th overall

Vic Rattlehead*

good lord, after what they gave chara and savard, giving kessel 850k should be a no brainer
if chara is 10% below potential they lose 750k worth of his paycheck (think economically) - if kessel rolls over dead they only lose 850k - whats the argument about - 100k?

the oil gave schremp 850k for cripes sake and he was 25 th overall

Thing is, the money they may not be giving him is in the bonuses. It's very possibly that they are negotiating the bonuses.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I don't think you can play in the AHL if you are 18 or 19. Kessel would have to play in the WHL. Part of the CBA, that 18 and 19's have to play in the NHL.

Once again that's only for CHL players...part of the CHL/NHL Agreement. Kessel can play in the AHL this season if he does become a pro because he played in the NCAA. By the way his rights are owned by the Spirt of the OHL.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
You guys might all want to take a peek at that link that Jori_18_23 posted. According to Kessel's father and his agent, there are no serious contract discussions underway, and they don't think a deal is imminent. Kinda renders a lot of the arguments here somewhat meaningless...

PBergeron37

Jun 21, 2006
I think he's still a year away. The best thing that could happen to him would be return for a second year at the U of Minnesota, let him have a monster year, maybe win the national championship. Then bring him up next year.

He had a productive first year in the NCAA, but he wasn't the unstoppable force that many expected him to be. At the WJC, he piled up the points against Norway, and was a force on the PP, but at full strength, I was underwhelmed. (To me, the defining moment of his tournament was in the third period against Canada, when he tried his little deke on Ryan Parent and was pushed off the puck. It kind of summed up his tournament perfectly: the things that worked for him the year before weren't working this year, at lease at even strength). When his team needed him, he was in hiding.

A lot of what we saying about Kessel now is what we said about David Legwand eight years. We raved about the same things - the skill, the speed, the shot. Kessel obviously had more hype entering his draft season than Legwand, who emerged out of near-obscurity to go No. 2 in a strong draft.

Kessel has world class skills. He could be a dynamic point producer. But he needs to go back to college to work on the proverbial tool box to match his skill set. He'll look very out of place at the NHL level. He's better off in college than in the AHL. Another year at the NCAA would do wonders, especially with the team Minnesota could be icing.

If Kessel doesn't end up making the B's squad this year, what league will be the best for his development (AHL or NCAA)? Playing in the AHL would make sense because it is, after all, pro-hockey. He'd be playing with top prospects and with physically developed veterans, which would help his game. Going back to the Gophers would make sense as well since he would be expected to be more of a leader this year, he could win a national title, plus he will put up big numbers which will help his confidence. I'm inclined to think he would be better off in the AHL training with pro-athletes, working that baby fat off his body, and becoming more disciplined, but what do I know. What do you all think?

PS- Is the coaching better in Providence or in Minnesota? There are holes in his game so which coaching staff can help him make the most progress?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think, well, the Ahl is a better league. But for an 18 year old. Its better to put him in the show. Or keep him having fun playing hockey. An ok year in the AHL would probally be better than a great year in the NCAA. But if people think he is a head case. He will only alienate himeslf and his teamates in a place where he knows no one. Let the kid have fun passing to his friends and celebrating with them. I coach. And if your kids are not having fun, and cannot enjoy in the success of their teamates. They will never reach their potential. Kessel is and isn't as kid i know that. But he needs to learn the game and still have fun. Or he will never see the big picture.

And as far as Minnesota or the pros. Its like do you want a 100 dollar bill or a fifty. The NHL is the 100 and the U is the fifty. Both are pretty nice and definitly not a disapointment.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You guys might all want to take a peek at that link that Jori_18_23 posted. According to Kessel's father and his agent, there are no serious contract discussions underway, and they don't think a deal is imminent. Kinda renders a lot of the arguments here somewhat meaningless...

Just because it isn't "imminent" doesn't mean it won't get done before the summer is over. There is still a lot of time left

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I wonder how long before the NCAA realizes that if they want to remain a viable market for these top tier athletes, they need to be allowed some sort of compensation? Seriously. The NCAA is one of the biggest scam artists ever. They give "scholarships" to these kids when they make at least triple the cost of that scholarship in on one televised viewing.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
every top 10 pick is gonna ask for the rookie max and top 5 picks are gonna demand the max bonuses, that is a given so i see nothing wrong with kessel asking for it...erik johnson, jordan staal, jonathan toews, nicklas backstrom are all going to look for the same...

if a guy is worthy of a top 5 pick then $850k isn't much...and if he earns the extra bonus $$ that means he played well and is worth that $$ too.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
But he's officially out of the NCAA, then, either way? I mean if they are negotiating. Or is that kid from all the combine interview-bashfest threads really handling "standard negotiations" all by himself. Uh-huh. Advisors? Uh-huh. I wonder where the line gets drawn? :dunno:

If they're negotiating, as long as Kessel hasn't signed a contract with Boston or isn't represented by an agent, he is still eligible to play in the NCAA.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Thing is, the money they may not be giving him is in the bonuses. It's very possibly that they are negotiating the bonuses.

Even then, the bonuses are limited to league bonuses that were negotiated during the CBA. However, the Bruins could pull a Philadelphia Flyers and tell Kessel that there will be no bonuses other than the signing bonus and that they are getting a standard contract. After all, that's what the Flyers did with Carter and Richards and those contracts are the envy of every GM in the league.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
My question is do the Gopher players even want Kessel back. Sure I'm sure the coaching staff does but I am hearing/reading alot of things from alot of places suggesting to me that Kessel may be an even bigger head case than we thought.

I may be wrong, but right now its a full red light alert with this kid.

Roger's Pancreas*

My question is do the Gopher players even want Kessel back. Sure I'm sure the coaching staff does but I am hearing/reading alot of things from alot of places suggesting to me that Kessel may be an even bigger head case than we thought.

I may be wrong, but right now its a full red light alert with this kid.

I'd bet my car on the fact that Gopher fans are perfectly content with Kessel coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->