Kessel wants to be paid

no Gino

May 16, 2005
This from Sid Hartman, a columnist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune

The Boston Bruins definitely have made an offer to Phil Kessel, who they selected No. 5 in the first round of the NHL draft, and the Gophers center has told them he will sign if he gets the right amount. Kessel is looking for the maximum $850,000 a year for a three-year contract and at this point, the Bruins have not agreed to give him that much. However, they will continue to negotiate. Since it is obvious Kessel wants to sign, he won't be back with the Gophers next year, contrary to what he recently told one of the Gophers coaches.

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
thats great...hed a fantastic fit on the second line LW postion, that is if he makes the team which i think most people are guessing he would

Vic Rattlehead*

Don't most high first rounders get the max rookie contract? I see no problem with what he wants. I just think the Bruins are doing the standard negotiation, and will probably give in before camp starts.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
that high a pick gets the rookie-max i would think in almost every case... not sure there is much negotiation to do outside of any hidden stuff in the contract. then again, it's the bruins and we know how they can be with money.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
i see no problem giving a number 5 overall the max contract considering his potential and that he is already 'nhl ready'...i would be scared though if there are already money issues

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
*** is Boston doing??

Pretty much every 1st rd pick gets the rookie max...the kid was taken 5th overall...Rookie max is a given.

I also believe Bergeron recieved the rookie max and the bruins took him in rd 2. Im not 100% sure on that.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
I dont think its too un-reasonable ...provided he shows in camp he's ready for the NHL and can contribute...if he cant contribute... then he should either go back to college or AHL.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
He'll get the rookie max, but I honestly don't think he's NHL ready yet. He needs to add several more dimensions (passing, defensive zone coverage, hockey sense/awareness) to his game before he'll even be a remotely good NHLer.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He'll get the rookie max, but I honestly don't think he's NHL ready yet. He needs to add several more dimensions (passing, defensive zone coverage, hockey sense/awareness) to his game before he'll even be a remotely good NHLer.

1st rounders get paid on potential...thats why 90% of them get the rookie max.

Kessel could have 100 holes in his game. The fact still remains that Boston took him 5th overall, ergo he will/should get the rookie max.

Bruinaholic

Apr 22, 2002
Central CT
*** is Boston doing??

Pretty much every 1st rd pick gets the rookie max...the kid was taken 5th overall...Rookie max is a given.

I also believe Bergeron recieved the rookie max and the bruins took him in rd 2. Im not 100% sure on that.

dont quote me but i believe he signed for around 650k...i could be wrong though
im gonna try to find last years team salary to confirm

Edit-Now that i think about it, Bergeron made about 650k last year after the roll back which would put him close to the rookie max(wasnt the max in the last CBA about 1.025$?)

Last edited:

Transported Upstater

Wow...

Kessel is NOT ready for the NHL, and I think he and the Bruins are making a big mistake if he is brought to the show now.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Wow...

Kessel is NOT ready for the NHL, and I think he and the Bruins are making a big mistake if he is brought to the show now.

Could be good for the Habs...the Bruins would totaly destroy Kessel's confidence and he would suck for his whole career...but I don't wish that to any prospect. Anyways, even if he become a star, the Habs are better than the Bruins ;):D

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Wow...

While I think Kessel could use another year of seasoning with the Gophers, I have no doubt he could have a decent year with the Bruins if used properly.

Vic Rattlehead*

Wow...

I actually think he is ready. Another year of scoring over a point per game in NCAA will do nothing for him.

Vic Rattlehead*

*** is Boston doing??

It's called standard negotiations. Bruins will probably give him the max before training camp begins anyways.

People are making too big a deal out of this.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Could be good for the Habs...the Bruins would totaly destroy Kessel's confidence and he would suck for his whole career...but I don't wish that to any prospect. Anyways, even if he become a star, the Habs are better than the Bruins ;):D

How are all those top Habs prospects doing since 2001?
:biglaugh:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It's called standard negotiations. Bruins will probably give him the max before training camp begins anyways.

People are making too big a deal out of this.

But he's officially out of the NCAA, then, either way? I mean if they are negotiating. Or is that kid from all the combine interview-bashfest threads really handling "standard negotiations" all by himself. Uh-huh. Advisors? Uh-huh. I wonder where the line gets drawn? :dunno:

Vic Rattlehead*

But he's officially out of the NCAA, then, either way? I mean if they are negotiating. Or is that kid from all the combine interview-bashfest threads really handling "standard negotiations" all by himself. Uh-huh. Advisors? Uh-huh. I wonder where the line gets drawn? :dunno:

You are asking the wrong person.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad