Kessel vs Radulov

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Both seem to have simular ceilings in terms of potential...but who do you take and why??

Kessels' turning some heads at camp and Radu apparently has been buzzing around the net quite a bit.

I had Radu ahead of Kessel earlier but after 1 pre-season game each, I think Kessel gets the nod. Still too early to tell though, which should make these pre-season games a lil more interesting.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Both seem to have simular ceilings in terms of potential...but who do you take and why??

Kessels' turning some heads at camp and Radu apparently has been buzzing around the net quite a bit.

I had Radu ahead of Kessel earlier but after 1 pre-season game each, I think Kessel gets the nod. Still too early to tell though, which should make these pre-season games a lil more interesting.

Kessel did put up the points, but some may not have noticed that Radu led the team...both teams, in shots for the game at 5. I'd be interested in finding out how much ice time each kid had in their first game and who the linemates were too.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Kessel did put up the points, but some may not have noticed that Radu led the team...both teams, in shots for the game at 5. I'd be interested in finding out how much ice time each kid had in their first game and who the linemates were too.
Kessel had 15:16 of ice time and was playing with Sturm and Murray at even strength while seeing PP time as well.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
If Kessel led both teams in shots, people would just call him a selfish player, like they've been doing the entire offseason. If anything, Kessel is more of a playmaker than a sniper.

Kessel centered Sturm and Murray last night, and will play LW with Savard and Murray tonight.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
kessel, and by a fair margin. I think radulov is getting a little overrated around here. Sure he dominated juniors, but alot of players have that didnt turn into NHL scorers. I think he will be a borderline 1st/2nd liner with pp time in his career. I see Kessel as a premiere player in the league one day.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
If Kessel led both teams in shots, people would just call him a selfish player, like they've been doing the entire offseason. If anything, Kessel is more of a playmaker than a sniper.

Kessel centered Sturm and Murray last night, and will play LW with Savard and Murray tonight.

I think you missed my point completely. I'm trying to look at just the first game objectively (kind of an oxy-moron, lol). I just wanted to know how much they played that night compared to eachother. Seems like Kessel had some good linemates...wonder if radu did as well.

And the fact that he took the most shots wouldnt tell me that kessel or radu would be selfish, rather they found open spots or made moves with the puck to get open.

Cyclops II*

kessel, and by a fair margin. I think radulov is getting a little overrated around here. Sure he dominated juniors, but alot of players have that didnt turn into NHL scorers. I think he will be a borderline 1st/2nd liner with pp time in his career. I see Kessel as a premiere player in the league one day.

Radulov is mildly overrated on these boards but Kessel is greatly overarrated. I see Kessel as a potential Yashin clone.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Radulov is mildly overrated on these boards but Kessel is greatly overarrated. I see Kessel as a potential Yashin clone.

If you think Kessel is overrated you haven't been paying much attention. At this point he is probably the most underated prospect ever who has led both the U18 and WJC in scoring before being drafted.

You probably have not been checking up on the Bruins rookie camp and preseason, but Kessel dominated the rookie camp. The Bruins coach has been openly effusive in his praise for him, saying he's doing things that Datsyuk and Zetterberg did, but at a much younger age. On the radio broadcast last night, Kessel was one of, if not the most active forward on the B's. On top of that, many of the Bruins players have been outspoken about his vision of the ice, something many people thought was a liability. I would guess that by the end of October he will be looking like potential finalist for ROY.

On top of that, he has said all the right things to the media and shown a competetive spirit, so the future looks bright to say the least.

Cyclops II*

If you think Kessel is overrated you haven't been paying much attention. At this point he is probably the most underated prospect ever who has led both the U18 and WJC in scoring before being drafted.

You probably have not been checking up on the Bruins rookie camp and preseason, but Kessel dominated the rookie camp. The Bruins coach has been openly effusive in his praise for him, saying he's doing things that Datsyuk and Zetterberg did, but at a much younger age. On the radio broadcast last night, Kessel was one of, if not the most active forward on the B's. On top of that, many of the Bruins players have been outspoken about his vision of the ice, something many people thought was a liability. I would guess that by the end of October he will be looking like potential finalist for ROY.

On top of that, he has said all the right things to the media and shown a competetive spirit, so the future looks bright to say the least.

Not convinced. There was a reason he dropped to 5th in the draft. Of course it may be that his drawbacks were overblown.

jaydub*

but hes american, and some people dared to compare him to crosby, so hes an overrated cancer! :sarcasm:

Transported Upstater

I am referring to attitude not style of play.

Well, you're still wrong, because Kessel's attitude is not the same as Yashin's.

And regarding the thread, I think Radulov is better right now (hear that, nomorekids!!!! :p: ), but I think if Kessel's development is handled correctly by the Bruins, I think PK will be better.

But Kessel is a higher-risk player. He has the highest risk and highest reward in this draft IMO. He could easily become among the best American-born players of all time, and he could also easily never make an impact in the NHL.

espo*

I've heard his new team-mates have been lauding the guys vision out there.

Guys like me and plenty of others may have to eat some crow over that part of his game yet.

I can't wait to see him play this year.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I think you missed my point completely. I'm trying to look at just the first game objectively (kind of an oxy-moron, lol). I just wanted to know how much they played that night compared to eachother. Seems like Kessel had some good linemates...wonder if radu did as well.

And the fact that he took the most shots wouldnt tell me that kessel or radu would be selfish, rather they found open spots or made moves with the puck to get open.
I didn't mean you in particular, but a lot of people would relish the opportunity to jump all over Kessel for being selfish, if he had led both teams in shots.

Your point was correct, they both had a pretty good amount of icetime and had their fair share of opportunities. From what I hear, Radulov missed a check in that game, which led to a goal. But other than that, I'm told he looked great.

Kosikarzzz

Mar 10, 2004
Windsor
I am referring to attitude not style of play.

That attitude problem he has is just BS! He is not a good interview...so what. I get nervous in front of alot of people too. Maybe it all stemed from Jack Johnson's negative comments on him and the fact that he doesn't like him. But in all fairness...who is the guy giving his team a hard time and is currently on the block because of his attitude. And he hasn't even played a NHL game yet.

Both are good players!

espo*

That reminds me,have to change my username.

It's like two people coming to the party with the same outfit on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->