Kessel vs Frolik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
I know the hype is around the 05 class at the moment, but I thought I would throw this out there regardless. These two seem like a deadly one-two punch for the 06 draft. Right now Kessel seems to be leading the way, but I think that this gap is a lot closer than the hype allows. I watched both this year at the WJC and both looked explosive and extremely talented. Both have huge upsides. Looking for comments surrounding either one of these talents play.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
Maybe my post was misleading, either that or nobody really cares at this point. Regardless, if you could pick, who would be your man?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well, Kessel has been talked about quite a bit around here. IMO, his game reminds me alot of Pat Lafontaine, although he has a better release (think Brett Hull). He's as fast a skater as I've seen in a long time, and is a credible playmaker and tremendous finisher. He's on the finesse side, but doesn't really shy from traffic. It wouldn't hurt for him to put some weight on, but that will come with time. I don't know as much about Frolik, although Kessel thoroughly outclassed him at the U18's. Will he be the better pro? Perhaps, although I don't see it.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
MHA said:
Kessel may be better than Crosby

"Do you even know what you're talking about? Crosby is the next best player since God knows who, HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS? you're a HOMER"

^^^^^^ This is what you're gonna deal with, so take xtra's advice, "RUN AND HIDE!!!!!!" :)

MHA

Mar 28, 2004
www.buffalorange.com
Birko19 said:
"Do you even know what you're talking about? Crosby is the next best player since God knows who, HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS? you're a HOMER"

^^^^^^ This is what you're gonna deal with, so take xtra's advice, "RUN AND HIDE!!!!!!" :)

Those who have never played hockey at a high level think he will be one of the greats.

I spoke to a former coach who follows the Q and he told me that Crosby is a sensational player but more like a Pat Lafontaine then a Wayne or Mario. He does not dominate the game like they do. Case in point was the WJ where Bergereon was miles ahead of him. Just because he is the best players playing against guys between 16-19 does not mean that he will be the next great one. You were probably touting Daigle and Falloon as the next Gretzky's, lol. :yo:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
MHA said:
Those who have never played hockey at a high level think he will be one of the greats.

I spoke to a former coach who follows the Q and he told me that Crosby is a sensational player but more like a Pat Lafontaine then a Wayne or Mario. He does not dominate the game like they do. Case in point was the WJ where Bergereon was miles ahead of him. Just because he is the best players playing against guys between 16-19 does not mean that he will be the next great one. You were probably touting Daigle and Falloon as the next Gretzky's, lol. :yo:

To me potential is nice, but it does't mean a whole lot, it's what you do with it and we're yet to see what Crosby can do with his potential, I agree that he has a huge potential, I agree that he dominates the junior level, but we've yet to see him at the NHL level which is what counts, frankly many junior players were highly touted (Daigle stands out), but what did they do at the NHL level?

Hey, I hope Crosby does become the next poster boy for the league, but some fans need to understand that he's not a sure bet, nor is Ovechkin, nor is Kessel, it's sure fun to compare their stayles to NHL players, but comparing them to the best players of all time is unfair to them.

I kind of agree with his former coach, I don't see a whole lot of Gretzky or Lemieux in Crosby, Wayne and Mario had better playmaking abilities (Specially Wayne), but we'll wait and see I guess, this is the beauty of Hockey, the draft and the hype is definitely exciting (Even if there's some homers around lol), I just can't wait until we can have the draft and for Hockey to start again :yo:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Birko19 said:
To me potential is nice, but it does't mean a whole lot, it's what you do with it and we're yet to see what Crosby can do with his potential, I agree that he has a huge potential, I agree that he dominates the junior level, but we've yet to see him at the NHL level which is what counts, frankly many junior players were highly touted (Daigle stands out), but what did they do at the NHL level?

Hey, I hope Crosby does become the next poster boy for the league, but some fans need to understand that he's not a sure bet, nor is Ovechkin, nor is Kessel, it's sure fun to compare their stayles to NHL players, but comparing them to the best players of all time is unfair to them.

I kind of agree with his former coach, I don't see a whole lot of Gretzky or Lemieux in Crosby, Wayne and Mario had better playmaking abilities (Specially Wayne), but we'll wait and see I guess, this is the beauty of Hockey, the draft and the hype is definitely exciting (Even if there's some homers around lol), I just can't wait until we can have the draft and for Hockey to start again :yo:

Crosby playmaking ability is still IMO a notch above kariya .. think Forsberg ..
his speed especially his acceleration is amazing...
IMO he doesnt have the goal scoring ability of gretzky and lemieux..

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Kryoptix said:
Crosby playmaking ability is still IMO a notch above kariya .. think Forsberg ..
his speed especially his acceleration is amazing...
IMO he doesnt have the goal scoring ability of gretzky and lemieux..

I'm not denying that Crosby has some top notch playmaking skills, indeed, and I agree that his playmaking abilites are better then his scoring skills, but I just think it's premature to compare him to the all time greats, at least not yet.

For me, assuming Crosby does reach his potential I think he'll be a 30-40 goal scorer and a 90 point producer, he'll probably crack a 100 point season once or twice, or more, who knows, but that depends how the league is because if the league does't open up scoring will stay low.

Ok nomorekids, I'll stop talking about Crosby now :)

MHA

Mar 28, 2004
www.buffalorange.com
Birko19 said:
I'm not denying that Crosby has some top notch playmaking skills, indeed, and I agree that his playmaking abilites are better then his scoring skills, but I just think it's premature to compare him to the all time greats, at least not yet.

For me, assuming Crosby does reach his potential I think he'll be a 30-40 goal scorer and a 90 point producer, he'll probably crack a 100 point season once or twice, or more, who knows, but that depends how the league is because if the league does't open up scoring will stay low.

Ok nomorekids, I'll stop talking about Crosby now :)

I agree with you here

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Birko19 said:

Crosby and Kessel are not sure bets... Ovechkin really kind of is. Barring an injury, I'd bet my life he will make the NHL, and there's 95% chance he'll be a 1st liner.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I think Kessel is alittle better at this point and he might pull away more just to define who is the no 1 pick in the 06 draft. Kessel will light it up for UMinn. Frolik right now we don't know where he is playing next year. Most likely in Europe but there is that slight chance that he will play for a CHL team. The defining moment of their seasons to determine their draft positions will come when they play in the WJC's then he might have a cleared favorite. I see Kessel going number 1 and Frolik no 2. If you notice the trend The three superpowers of hockey Canada, Russia, and the USA will have produce their superphenom to go no 1in the draft three year in a row. Ovechkin 04 Crosby 05 Kessel most likely in 06. I think hockey in general will get back with these three superphenoms.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
MHA said:
Kessel has speed to kill, he's a great puck-handler and sees the ice well. His size might prevent him from being a star

That's a lot like an NHLPA euphemism! Contrast it to your earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->