Kessel vs. Crosby: Hype Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Now this is not to start a debate over who is a better player because thats one egg i don't want to crack open......but rather to talk about if the players nationality where flipped would Crosby be considered the next one or would Kessel be considered the next one? Does the fact that Crosby is canadian give him the benefit of the doubt over kessel who is american? Fact: Kessel outscored Crosby as a 17 yr old if i am right( 7 points to 6 points) they are both the same size at 5'10".

So in the end does the fact that Crosby is canadian cause the hype for him being the next one and would that same hype be placed on Kessel if he was Canadian and why isn't it being placed on him?

Reilly311

xtra said:
So in the end does the fact that Crosby is canadian cause the hype for him being the next one

Yes and also people like Wayne Gretzky saying he'll break his records and whatnot. No one even knew who Phil Kessel was (including myself) until he played at the World Juniors with the exception of a few people who follow U18 hockey in the states.

Ovechkin would have been even more hyped if he was canadian.

This shouldn't be suprising to anyone.

edit: oh and no one cares about hockey in the states. If hockey is #1 in the states, Kessel would be more hyped over Crosby. Look at the hype Lebron James got and any #1 pick in the NFL. People were going crazy of Eli Manning.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:
Outscored?

Kessel is 2 months older than Sidney.

Both were "17 year olds" at this past World Juniors.

Isn't Kessel younger? and therefore an '06.

Also for the thread starter, aren't you comparing Kessels 7 points to Crosby's 6 goals? Sid had 9 points.

If a Guatemalan had Sid's stats/talent he would have plenty of hype, although being Canadian certainly doesn't hurt.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Isn't Kessel younger? and therefore an '06.

Also for the thread starter, aren't you comparing Kessels 7 points to Crosby's 6 goals? Sid had 9 points.

If a Guatemalan had Sid's stats/talent he would have plenty of hype, although being Canadian certainly doesn't hurt.

see i knew i was making a mistake on their ages....but then howcome kessel is in the 06 draft and crosby in the 05 draft?

Reilly311

xtra said:
see i knew i was making a mistake on their ages....but then howcome kessel is in the 06 draft and crosby in the 05 draft?

Kessel was born in october, Crosby was born in August. The cutoff date for the 05 draft is probably before Kessels birthday ala Ovechkin 2 years ago.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
nomorekids said:
and because behind crosby, he's the next big prospect.

Michael Frolik is just as good if not better (many say better after the WJCs). Jesse Joensuu, Peter Mueller, Johnathan Towes, Alex Vasyunov, and several others are not far behind, if at all. To make it sound like it's Crosby, then Kessel, and then everyone else is pure overhype.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The hype on Kessel is not even close to the hype on Crosby, nor should it be.

I don't think Kessel is necessarily the "next big prospect." He's very skilled and plays a style that can lead to spectacular plays but he's got flaws and he's not head and shoulders above his peers at this point.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
The hype on Kessel is not even close to the hype on Crosby, nor should it be.

I don't think Kessel is necessarily the "next big prospect." He's very skilled and plays a style that can lead to spectacular plays but he's got flaws and he's not head and shoulders above his peers at this point.

I agree, although that shouldn't take away from the calibre of player Kessel is, or create ignorance about his potential draft position. You're not doing that, but it sure kills some people around here to admit Kessel is an elite prospect.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
Kessel is only being compared to Crosby because he's American.

Right, he's the American "Sidney Crosby." I don't see the problem with that label since Kessel is being widely touted as the best American prospect in some time.

leafaholix*

Michael Frolik is better than Kessel.

Anyone that says otherwise didn't watch the WJC much.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Who cares, when Crosby is overhyped it's good, when Ovechkin is overhyped, he sucks and Crosby will be better, now we have to steal Kessel's thunder away, he's American, I hope he becomes 10x what Gretzky was as far as I'm concerned.

Reilly311

littleHossa said:
Who cares, when Crosby is overhyped it's good, when Ovechkin is overhyped, he sucks and Crosby will be better, now we have to steal Kessel's thunder away, he's American, I hope he becomes 10x what Gretzky was as far as I'm concerned.

Fallout is :bow:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Carl O'Steen said:
Michael Frolik is better than Kessel.

Anyone that says otherwise didn't watch the WJC much.

Or doesn't agree with you, which is sacreligious I know, but IMO its a bit difficult to judge a prospect by one tournament, but that's me. Kessel proved just as much as Frolik at the WJC's and is having a phenomenal year with the Under 18 program. If anything they are dead even.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Michael Frolik is just as good if not better (many say better after the WJCs). Jesse Joensuu, Peter Mueller, Johnathan Towes, Alex Vasyunov, and several others are not far behind, if at all. To make it sound like it's Crosby, then Kessel, and then everyone else is pure overhype.

Agree 100%! Frolik is at the very least Kessel's equal and proved as much during their head to head meetings. I can see Mueller going ahead of Kessel as well. He is certainly not as polished or slick as Phil but may have a higher pro upside.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
Or doesn't agree with you, which is sacreligious I know, but IMO its a bit difficult to judge a prospect by one tournament, but that's me. Kessel proved just as much as Frolik at the WJC's and is having a phenomenal year with the Under 18 program. If anything they are dead even.
Did you watch Frolik play?

Mountain Dude

littleHossa said:

You should hold your breath on that one, the world will be a better place. :lol

Mountain Dude

xtra said:
Now this is not to start a debate over who is a better player because thats one egg i don't want to crack open......but rather to talk about if the players nationality where flipped would Crosby be considered the next one or would Kessel be considered the next one? Does the fact that Crosby is canadian give him the benefit of the doubt over kessel who is american? Fact: Kessel outscored Crosby as a 17 yr old if i am right( 7 points to 6 points) they are both the same size at 5'10".

So in the end does the fact that Crosby is canadian cause the hype for him being the next one and would that same hype be placed on Kessel if he was Canadian and why isn't it being placed on him?

You're wrong, Crosby had 8 points, 6 goals 2 assists, and least.

Reilly311

How come when the czechs played the US that TSN didn't have a front page article saying "Czech Republic's phenom!" Kessel is being hyped because he's good.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Mountain Dude said:
You're wrong, Crosby had 8 points, 6 goals 2 assists, and least.

6 goals 3 assists.

Edit:When I double checked I noticed Kessel had 6 points, 4 goals 2 assists

leafaholix*

Reilly311 said:
How come when the czechs played the US that TSN didn't have a front page article saying "Czech Republic's phenom!" Kessel is being hyped because he's good.
Wait 2 years and you'll be drowning in the hype over Frolik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->