Kessel vs. Cogliano

Status
Not open for further replies.

masked man

Nov 29, 2003
surixon said:
Id just like to add, that although Kessel is a little younger, Coglino has outscored him at every major tournament that they both have been at, ie the under 17s and under 18 last sumer. So im not really sure that it is as cut and dry as some people think. People forget that Andrew Coglino could very well have been or will be a top 10 pick this year. It's largly due to his lower level of play that hes ranked to go mid to late first round.

Buddy Kessel is by far the better player kessel never went to the "under 18's last summer." But as far as i can see i think kessel pretty much dominated the u-18's this year. I think he dominated last year as well. And i do think he had a hat trick in the WJC Which im not sure but i dont think Coglino attend, now why would that be..? I think coglino will be lucky to get above 30 pts next year i think he will be in the 20's or less... Kessel Played the college game last year and averaged two pts a game, So kessel should be in the 50's 40's at absolute worst... Im sorry but you just cant compare coglino to kessel with pts. Especially when as a major midget he put up over 200 pts... I dont think coglino could do that now...

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
masked man said:
Buddy Kessel is by far the better player kessel never went to the "under 18's last summer." But as far as i can see i think kessel pretty much dominated the u-18's this year. I think he dominated last year as well. And i do think he had a hat trick in the WJC Which im not sure but i dont think Coglino attend, now why would that be..? I think coglino will be lucky to get above 30 pts next year i think he will be in the 20's or less... Kessel Played the college game last year and averaged two pts a game, So kessel should be in the 50's 40's at absolute worst... Im sorry but you just cant compare coglino to kessel with pts. Especially when as a major midget he put up over 200 pts... I dont think coglino could do that now...

Cogliano 20 points or less next season? Maybe if he's hurt all year. Berenson calls him a hybrid of Tambellini and Hensick, a dynamic offensive player, and I'll take his word for it. Both of those guys put up 45-50 points in their freshmen campaigns and led U-M in scoring. While I don't expect him to lead the team in scoring, I do expect him to be up there. Chad Kolarik put up 35 pts last season in his freshman season. I certainly think Cogliano is capable of surpassing that, despite the team losing a ton of seniors.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
masked man said:

Hey buddy, take your 18 posts and sit down and watch a few more years of hockey before you come back and post on here! You probably just posted one of the most Pejorative Slured posts I've read so far this year! :dunce:

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
HabLover said:
Hey buddy, take your 18 posts and sit down and watch a few more years of hockey before you come back and post on here! You probably just posted one of the most Pejorative Slured posts I've read so far this year! :dunce:

Is it a hobby of yours to consistently be a jerk to everyone?

Funkymoses

sjb3599 said:
Any college team recruiting these players would definately pick Cogliano over Kessel simply because Cogliano will probably play for 4 years while Kessel may only play for one.

:biglaugh:

I wish wish wish that was true. But it probably isn't. I think it's not out of the question for Cogs to average a PPG next year given that he'll definitely have at least one talented offensive player on his line (Tambs or Kolarik) and seems to, like, kick ass, but I mean, seriously... Kessel is kind of good, you know.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Kessel may win us a championship this next year. i think that is worth it. Plus comparing the two in points next year. The gophs are bringing back are top 7 scorers. As a team we should put up huge offensive numbers. Look at guys like Stafford and Chucko. Stafford came up with 32 pts in 36 games, with Parise and Bochenski on his team. Chucko with 21 in 44. Both guys still were top draft picks. Granted they have different games. But 40-50 points is a very very solid number. Coligano may do it and probally will but to toss it around like a bench mark is tough.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
The other factor is the strength of the leagues. Last season the WCHA was the dominate league in college hockey, while the CCHA was rather weak. It'll probably be that way again this season, too, though I expect the CCHA to improve some. But 35-40 points in the CCHA last season doesn't necessarily carry over to the WCHA.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
scout46 said:
Or later. No guarantee he'll be a 1st rounder.
USA hockey decided to counter all the Crosby hype by ordaning Kessel as their answer to Sid. Wrong!!!! Kessel isn't even on the same planet!!!!All you have to do is talk to some of his teammates to learn the real story. Kessel was not liked or respected at all. Kessel was told by Michigan and Wisconsin they weren't going to play his games and told him to buzz off long before he "decided" on Minnesota. Not a nock on Minnesota, just that he boxed himself in. He wasn't going to run Berenson or Eaves . I will bet all of you anything that Mueller becomes the better prospect and when you really watch Kessel, you'll see he not only is a defensive liability, but a coward on the ice. He is a true team breaker! Just remember you read it here.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hab Fan said:
USA hockey decided to counter all the Crosby hype by ordaning Kessel as their answer to Sid. Wrong!!!! Kessel isn't even on the same planet!!!!All you have to do is talk to some of his teammates to learn the real story. Kessel was not liked or respected at all. Kessel was told by Michigan and Wisconsin they weren't going to play his games and told him to buzz off long before he "decided" on Minnesota. Not a nock on Minnesota, just that he boxed himself in. He wasn't going to run Berenson or Eaves . I will bet all of you anything that Mueller becomes the better prospect and when you really watch Kessel, you'll see he not only is a defensive liability, but a coward on the ice. He is a true team breaker! Just remember you read it here.

Someone please stop this guy..................

jjmcgo

Jun 27, 2005
Hmmmm

I read this entire thread because I had picked up a sentence or two somewhere about some dissension on Kessel's team involving him and another player. It also said his parents had some disputes or weren't talking to other parents.
Now, Habs Fan adds some additional information.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Leachmeister2000 said:
Is it a hobby of yours to consistently be a jerk to everyone?

That was a pretty dumb quote by that person though you have to admit?

Major Midget hockey would be dominated by Kessel or Cogliano 200 + points in 75 games is easily attainable for two talents like that. The guy was just putting down Cogliano without a reason or argument.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I do think Kessel is better right now, but for those who haven't watched Cogliano during the regular season in Jr. A I think you'd be speaking a different tune if you did. Ask Bobby Mac his son played on his team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ktownhockey said:
I do think Kessel is better right now, but for those who haven't watched Cogliano during the regular season in Jr. A I think you'd be speaking a different tune if you did. Ask Bobby Mac his son played on his team.

Speaking a differant tune? What do you mean, that Cogliano is a better prospect? While Cogliano was playing Jr.A, Kessel was one of the best players on the U.S. U20 team and dominated the U18's. There's no contest IMO.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Speaking a differant tune? What do you mean, that Cogliano is a better prospect? While Cogliano was playing Jr.A, Kessel was one of the best players on the U.S. U20 team and dominated the U18's. There's no contest IMO.

Didn't Cogliano also dominate a U18 tournament? Honestly, IMO, because these guys are such young kids, and are both very good players, I would find it difficult to say one guy would for sure be better then the other. I'd say that based on limited viewing that Kessel is very good though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Cogliano really reminds me of Zach Parise. It seems to me that Cogliano could easily put up 50+ points just like Parise did in his freshman year. They both are supremely intelligent players and i think in the long run a team will be better to have Cogliano than Kessel, but who knows. Kessel will most likely outscore Cogs next year, but i think it will be close. Something like

Phil Kessel 37 G 26 A 63 Pts
Andrew Cogliano 21 G 38 A 59 Pts

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Rabid Ranger said:

I meant speaking a different tune about his abilities. At the start of the post I said that Kessel is a better prospect right now. So I don't know what you are crying about? :cry:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
PuckFan01 said:
If you have a crystal ball, maybe you ought to be picking lottery numbers too? :dunno:
Never said i had a crystal ball, who told you? Well, here are those lotto #'s you wanted, lets hope the crystal ball still works?
17-24-8-33-19

God its dumb to criticize me for answering a question to the best of my ability, maybe you should give it a shot instead of making wise cracks eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad