Kessel to OHL smarter route!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
knowitall said:
All I ever said in the beginning was the OHL would be the SMARTER route. And it would be. The college season is going to done for some schools very soon and Major Junior doesnt even start playoffs for three weeks. The OHL is bigger, tougher and more accustomed to what kessel will be doing very shortly, playing in the NHL. Al lot of players mature later and thats why they take the NCAA route or want to serisouly stay for 4 years (Kessel = NO CHANCE), Kessel is awesome now and thats why he should go OHL I wasnt ripping on the NCAA nor was I saying that all the players dont go to school. I only said half do that, thats not all in my book. And NCAA HOCKEY FAN. Do you know the facts? What was Kariya's major at Maine? I know, you should go find out. I sure you could have been an honor student with the classes he took. I know the facts...I just dont want to be the guy to bring out all the stories.....

Oh please... any controversy regarding Kariya and schooling would be wide-known.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Sammy said:
http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/content.cfm?seas=6&act=72&div=0&team=0&pt=roster_pub
Virtually everyone on the Bears played at the CHL level until their eligibility ran out.Upon furthur reflection, given the ages, level of play that the Bears played in before they came to the Bears & how good they were in the CHL, I think a team like the Bears would handle a top NCAA team rather easily.

So older players are better? Interesting.

Four of the "top" CIS teams came to the states and walked away with a losing record. A competition between Colorado College and Alberta or Saskatchewan might be closer but CC would likely come out ahead. Of course this is just my opinion.

Bob "Total Hockey" said:
Nice stats on the CIS-NCAA.
But, how many of those games occured on Canadian soil, and how many were with Canadian teams playing games in back-to-back nights on the road?
Granted the lower level CIS Schools would have difficulty competing but I don't see #1 Alberta or #2 Saskatchewan on your list. These teams are made up of almost exclusively WHL players, and I can guarantee you that they could hang with your NCAA teams.
In fact the Alberta Golden Bears beat the Edmonton Oilers Rookies 8-2 in the fall, with an Oilers team that had seven guys off their AHL team, two or three first-round draft choices, AND several NCAA grads in their lineup.
Alberta as an example is 6-3 in their last 10 years against NCAA schools with only one of those nine games being played at home.
What would be really interesting is if say Alberta and Saskatchewan coughed up some cash and brought in a DU or CC to Edmonton and Saskatoon to play at Rexall and Saskatchewan Place, but alas I think NCAA Schools would view it as having far this as having far too much to lose.

Home/Away? Who cares. You're pulling at strings now. I'm sorry, but you are. Beating the Edmonton Oilers rookies is great but you can't throw that out there considering no NCAA played them to compare. An NCAA might've beat them 14-2.

Why do CIS teams come to NCAA? To play better competition and because the NCAA is superior to these teams. Same reason why President Bush only goes to the hill once a year for the gov't mandated state of the union, he is superior to them and they come to him. Of course you always have the random visits to appear in front of congressional hearings, etc. if necessary.

Is Alberta THAT much better? Manitoba beat Alberta (4-1) earlier this year and Manitoba lost North Dakota and Nebraska-Omaha. Calgary had a win against Alberta as well (6-2) and Calgary lost to Minnesota & Minnesota St.

It's an arguement that can't be won/lost until the CIS and NCAA champions meat which will not happen. But you can look at stats and recent results and that clearly points to the NCAA teams.

Schlep Rock said:
Is Alberta THAT much better? Manitoba beat Alberta (4-1) earlier this year and Manitoba lost North Dakota and Nebraska-Omaha. Calgary had a win against Alberta as well (6-2) and Calgary lost to Minnesota & Minnesota St.

Did you expect them to go undefeated through the season? They can't do that every year. Those were two of only three losses the team has had this season, and Alberta won all the other games they played against Calgary and Manitoba.

I don't know how they'd fare against a good NCAA opponent, but their previous record indicates they'd at least make a game of it.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Doomsday Device said:
Did you expect them to go undefeated through the season? They can't do that every year. Those were two of only three losses the team has had this season, and Alberta won all the other games they played against Calgary and Manitoba.

I don't know how they'd fare against a good NCAA opponent, but their previous record indicates they'd at least make a game of it.

DD,

No but since others here were grasping at straws, figured I'd point it out.

Yeah, it'd be a game but not nearly the crushing defeat of an NCAA team some here are suggesting. They're two completely different leagues. That's like saying the IHL champion would crush the AHL champion because at the time, the IHL was a more veteran league.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Schlep Rock-CIS Road Games

Schlep Rock.

My point is tht an Alberta could hang with NCAA teams, not walkover them.
The Road thing though is a big deal.
As you know the NCAA Schools don't often travel North as their "International games" are limited.
What ends up happening is that CIS teams often play two road games in two nights, or three in three nights when they play NCAA schools.
As an fyi...Prior to losing to Calgary 6-2 on Feb. 5th, the Bears had gone undefeated in six seasons against the Dinos. The Bears had a 39-0-6 mark against the U. of C, and Alberta had beaten Calgary 12-0 the night before.

Sammy*

Schlep Rock said:
So older players are better? Interesting.

If you cant figure out that as players get older they get better, its kind of a waste of time having this discussion with you.
Furthurmore, the game that Calgary beat the Bears was their first win in 46 games against the Bears.
Hey, no one is arguing with you that the top talent in your beloved NCAA is more talented (by a fair amount) than the top talent in the CIS, but they are not neccesarily better at that stage of their careers, as they are alot younger (do you get the difference?). Furthurmore, imo a team like the Bears could handle one of the top NCAA teams quite easily, & one of the reason is that they for the most part were pretty good WHL player & for the most part would be older than there NCAA counterparts.
Just my opinion of course.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
knowitall said:
I dont understand some of these young boys today. First of all, there is no way on God's green earth that Kessel will play more than two years of college where ever he goes, so why is he going? And playing two is pushing it. He was one of the best players for team USA's World Junior Team, and regularly beats up on US college teams by himself for the under-18 team. If he goes to the OHL, (Saginaw has his rights) he would score 60 goals next year, get more accustomed to a pro style game (maybe even drop the mitts), play a 70-80 game schedule (playoffs) and mature more than he would playing one senseless year of college. Im sure Saginaw would even make trades to make sure they are a contender with Kessel in their lineup. I could see him going the college route if he was going to play 4 years, but playing 1-2 years and playing max 40 games is not the development the SO-CALLED american Crosby needs at his age. Whats up!!
He couldn't play in the OHL. He's too soft and is not even close to a Crosby comparison. Sid plays goal line to goal line ,like Parise. Kessel is a floater. Mark it down. If you haven't seen him play, hold your thoughts. He is going to Minnesota becvause Wisconsin and Michigan would expect him to play a complete game. No knock on Minnesota intended, just be careful what you hoped for!!!!!

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Hab Fan said:
He is going to Minnesota becvause Wisconsin and Michigan would expect him to play a complete game. No knock on Minnesota intended, just be careful what you hoped for!!!!!

Maybe Kessel saw how Minnesota's style wins games and national titles. Especially when you consider how well Minnesota has done against the two programs you mentioned in your post.

In the last four seasons, Minnesota has a combined 17-4-1 record against Michigan and Wisconsin. I would gather Minnesota must play a complete enough game to have pretty much controlled those two teams in head to head play. :amazed:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
bonefizzle said:
U R kidding right!!! I have buddies who have came back from the states on scholarships because the education was too easy..

Hmm, I just did a search for the rankings of the best universities in the world.

4 Canadian universities in the top 100.

51 American universities in the top 100.

Man, I wonder what country has the best education...

HMM.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Reveille! said:
Hmm, I just did a search for the rankings of the best universities in the world.

HMM.
Thats about proportional to the number of schools in both countries. While Canada doesn't have any schools that rival Harvard or Yale, the majority of their schools are high-quality. Uoft, Queens, McGill, Waterloo, UBC, Western,(and some outside Ontario schools im surely missing) are all top notch schools.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
DaveyCrockett said:
Thats about proportional to the number of schools in both countries. While Canada doesn't have any schools that rival Harvard or Yale, the majority of their schools are high-quality. Uoft, Queens, McGill, Waterloo, UBC, Western,(and some outside Ontario schools im surely missing) are all top notch schools.

It still doesn't really matter when comparing them to US schools. The UK has a lot more schools in the listing than Canada does.

Sammy*

Reveille! said:
It still doesn't really matter when comparing them to US schools. The UK has a lot more schools in the listing than Canada does.
You think the UK & Canada have about the same number of schools? :lol: :lol:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Reveille! said:

HMM.

Actually, Canadian schools more than hold their own academically at the under-graduate level. It as at the post grad and doctorial levels where the U.S. pulls rank. We spend much more at these levels than do most countries and that is why we attract a large number of foreign students, although recent immigration changes and deep cuts by state governments are diverting some of these students away.

Bob "Total Hockey", I posted this response on another thread by I will re-copy it here for you.

I have no doubt that Alberta is a quality program and could compete with most NCAA teams but they are in a class by them selves. With the exception of Alberta and maybe one or two teams out east, the CIS on a whole is inferior to the NCAA by a fair margin. Lets be honest here, many university teams are run like high school hockey teams in Ontario. There are no summer training requirements, very little off ice conditioning, a light game schedule (21 games a year) and coaching staffs that rely on volunteers.

Until the hockey powers that be make changes, the CIS will never really be viewed as a developmental league for the NHL. The chasm that exists between the level of play in the NCAA and the CIS can be seen every year in the fall when some of the better CIS teams are beaten by even mediocre NCAA clubs. Yes travel may have a little to do with it but not as much as you believe. As I said previously, players in the CIS are not required to use the spring/summer to condition themselves and this lack of condition is apparent in the fall when they play NCAA teams. Nor are they prepared to play better-coached teams who already have their systems in place by the time the exhibition season rolls around. Of course talent also comes into play and the talent factor is clearly tipped in favor of the NCAA.

Two years ago the Western Michigan Broncos ( an average team at best) took a tour of Ontario playing three games in four nights and beat highly ranked clubs such as Western Ontario are Laurier. Travel did not seem to be much of an issue for the Broncos. This past Christmas the Michigan Tech Huskies ( a last place team in the WCHA) traveled to Thunder Bay and swept the Lakehead Thunderwolves, winning both games by a significant margin.

We can only look at head to head matches, and those matchups clearly point to the fact that the NCAA is superior to the CIS.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Kessel won't be in Minnesota very long

Better to have him for a little while than to not have him at all. I'd guess he will be in college for two years. That is what his current coach at the NTDP thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->