Kessel over Crosby???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It would not bother me if he did turn out to be better - the league can use all the excitement it can get and great players bring excitement. But he has a lot to prove to get to match that assesment by those I am guessing very few who would have picked him over Crosby. Crosby has been everything advertised and may even have exceeded the hype in his start of his career. Welcome to the dance Mr. Kessel and good luck.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The Kessel vs Crosby debate is on life support now. It was popular when Pierre McGuire made up a ficticious and random number of scouts he talked to that would take Kessel over Crosby, but the expiration date on that theory came and went a week into the NHL and NCAA schedules. Kessel is still a great prospect but he doesn't bring what Crosby brings. Any scout that would take Kessel over Crosby right now better start looking for another line of work.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Kessel isn't even 2 months younger than Crosby, and is getting less PPG in college than Crosby is getting in the NHL.

USAToday is just trying to hype up their prospects, but I think they're shooting too high.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Le Golie said:
The Kessel vs Crosby debate is on life support now. It was popular when Pierre McGuire made up a ficticious and random number of scouts he talked to that would take Kessel over Crosby, but the expiration date on that theory came and went a week into the NHL and NCAA schedules. Kessel is still a great prospect but he doesn't bring what Crosby brings. Any scout that would take Kessel over Crosby right now better start looking for another line of work.
But the article is saying that at the time of the draft Kessel was rated higher by some scouts.

I have a hard time believing that any scouts would have recommended anoyone over Crosby... but I don't see why McGuire would have made that up... and I'm sure he talks to a great many scouts all the time.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Kessel is a great player in his own right and I feel sorry for him that he continuously has to face the over hype by journalists trying to make him something he may never become; the savior of American hockey.

Kessel is no Crosby so lets end the comparison and instead focus on the fact that he is still the consensus first over all pick in the 06 draft and is having a solid start in his freshman campaign.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Le Golie said:
Well said. IMO Crosby and AO are in a class by themselves as far as young players coming into the league. As much as I love Malkin as a player I wouldn't put him in that league either, even though his skill, size and complete game bring him close. Lehts and MAF round out my top five young players and Kessel doesn't break into that.

I'm not even sure if Kessel is that clear cut for #1. If he has a poor WJC would he still have that elite status? If you ask that question about Crosby and AO going into their draft years they would still be elite young players no matter of their showing.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
therealdeal said:
Kessel isn't even 2 months younger than Crosby, and is getting less PPG in college than Crosby is getting in the NHL.

USAToday is just trying to hype up their prospects, but I think they're shooting too high.

Exactly. Everyone knows that Kessel isn't even close to Crosby right now, but the USA Today is written for an American audience. It should come as no suprise that journalists are hyping up American prospects; it's all part of trying to sell the game over here. No big deal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
#66 said:
Well said. IMO Crosby and AO are in a class by themselves as far as young players coming into the league. As much as I love Malkin as a player I wouldn't put him in that league either, even though his skill, size and complete game bring him close. Lehts and MAF round out my top five young players and Kessel doesn't break into that.

I'm not even sure if Kessel is that clear cut for #1. If he has a poor WJC would he still have that elite status? If you ask that question about Crosby and AO going into their draft years they would still be elite young players no matter of their showing.

Niether is the article:

It's not a certainty that Kessel and Johnson will go with the first two picks. Kessel, a dynamic skater and scorer, is the highly likely No. 1 pick, but the consensus is that Czech player Michael Frolik and Canadian Jonathan Toews, who is playing at North Dakota, join Kessel and Johnson as the clear-cut top four.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Zine said:
Exactly. Everyone knows that Kessel isn't even close to Crosby right now, but the USA Today is written for an American audience. It should come as no suprise that journalists are hyping up American prospects; it's all part of trying to sell the game over here. No big deal.

A couple of things need to be clarified here.

1) The USA Today article in question is the work of Kevin Allen. He's a respected journalist who has been around hockey for decades. He's well-connected, and if he says that SOME NHL G.M.'s would consider, or would have considered Kessel over Crosby, I believe him.

2) No one is suggesting Kessel is better than Crosby now. Obviously that's not the case and likely never will be. Crosby is a special player who is very well-rounded. Kessel is a dynamic offensive player that I doubt will ever be more than an average player in his own zone.

Transported Upstater

Rabid Ranger said:
A couple of things need to be clarified here.

1) The USA Today article in question is the work of Kevin Allen. He's a respected journalist who has been around hockey for decades. He's well-connected, and if he says that SOME NHL G.M.'s would consider, or would have considered Kessel over Crosby, I believe him.

2) No one is suggesting Kessel is better than Crosby now. Obviously that's not the case and likely never will be. Crosby is a special player who is very well-rounded. Kessel is a dynamic offensive player that I doubt will ever be more than an average player in his own zone.

I have to agree.

Like I said in a PM to another HFBoards member:

"Kessel does things we all wish we could do. Crosby does things that we all wish we could even THINK OF IN THE FIRST PLACE."

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
TransportedUpstater said:
I have to agree.

Like I said in a PM to another HFBoards member:

"Kessel does things we all wish we could do. Crosby does things that we all wish we could even THINK OF IN THE FIRST PLACE."

I wouldn't it frame it that way. Kessel has an edge on Crosby in certain skill areas such as his shot and top-end speed. Where Crosby has an advantage is in overall vision, creativity, defensive play and a willingness to go into the trenches.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
These continous comparisons are pointless and counterproductive. We can really only see who is a better player when they play at the same level. Whether it is Kessel Crosby Malkin Ovechkin Staal or anyone else, they are all different players ownright with different skills playing styles. If you ask every team in the NHL, who of them they would like to have most, you would get different balanced answers due to teams different needs and playing styles. (at the moment Ovechkin and Crosby would be chosen ahaed of the rest as they have proven that they can preform at NHL level)
Let them all prove themselves then we can maybe say who is the best player, but technically they all should have great careers.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

AgentNaslund*

i feel sorry for Kessel. American Media once again is blowing Kessel out of porportion. First it was "America's anserw to Sydney Crosby." So your saying Kessel is in Crosby's leauge :biglaugh:

now they say some scouts will Kessel over Crosby? Its funny how people wanna make things up just to make things sound better then they are. Kessel is not even in that leauge of Crosby, Ovechkin. These homers come out of nowhere. 2005 first rounder was dominated by Canadians, 2006 first rounder will once again be dominated by Canadians. Since this is the only period the States is actually bringing up some solid prospects now they think, they are closing the gap. Wow. Very funny actually. Kessel is the in the Eric Staal, Jason Spezza Kovalchuk leauge. Not Crosby or Ovechkin. Stupid stupid American Media. I be pissed if I was an American hockey fan. Crosby was able to dominate hockey at every level hes played at. Even at the NHL level hes leading his team in scoring that is loaded with superstars. Kessel cant even do that at the Colleage level.

To every 1 Phil Kessel they develope, Canada has developed 20 players in that leauge in the past.

as for the some scouts chosing Kessel over Crosby, unless they tell us which scouts exactly said that, from which teams they work for, its all b.s. Anyone thats seem em both play, if your not Pejorative Slured u would chose Crosby over Kessel easily. Its like chosing Modanno over Grezky in their primes.

I feel sorry for Kessel for all they media hype trying to make him sound like hes in the same breath as Ovechkin and Crosby.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
thomasincanada said:
Are you by any chance a leafs scout ?
I don't think he's a leafs scout.It's sarcasm I think.......a reference to a post
made after the first game of the year when a zealous Devils poster said
Parise was better than Crosby and Ovechkin combined.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Kessel has been over-hyped by the American media, Kessel is a great player but c'mon he's definately not in a league with Crosby, and Ovechkin.

I don't even think Kessel will go 1st overall I think Erik Johnson will.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
pei fan said:
I don't think he's a leafs scout.It's sarcasm I think.......a reference to a post
made after the first game of the year when a zealous Devils poster said
Parise was better than Crosby and Ovechkin combined.

LOL. Fair enough.

If he really were a leafs scout - he'd say Belak instead of Parise, anyway :(

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
dkball7 said:
Did you see him on opening night? :sarcasm:

I don't get many eastern conference games here unfortunately, bascially only what they show on TSN and NHL network and CBC Saturday nights, so no.

But his stats are horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->