Kessel named to Team USA for World Championships

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
That is great for Kessel. It will give him a great chance to rejuvenate his stock a bit, not that he has really done that much to let it slip.

It will be interesting to see, as his skating is already elite enough that he should fit in pretty well with the right wingers who can get him the puck with space.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Kessel's going to (sort of) be under the microscope yet again. He'll be playing against grown men, and it'll be interesting to see how he adapts. He could indeed help himself with an impressive showing; of course, if he has a performance like he did at the 2005 WJC's, his stock may fall faster than Enron did in late 2001.

Certainly he knows it's a big challenge, let's see how he handles it.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Irish Blues said:
Kessel's going to (sort of) be under the microscope yet again. He'll be playing against grown men, and it'll be interesting to see how he adapts. He could indeed help himself with an impressive showing; of course, if he has a performance like he did at the 2005 WJC's, his stock may fall faster than Enron did in late 2001.

You mean if he wins the scoring title and figures in on both goals in an elimination game win :dunno:

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Beesfan said:
You mean if he wins the scoring title and figures in on both goals in an elimination game win :dunno:

I agree, if Kessel played so poorly, who played well for team USA?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Irish Blues said:

I couldn't disagree more. This is actually one of the first opportunities for Kessel to play without much at stake. If he doesn't make an impact, so what? He's 18 years old and it will be chalked up as a good experience for the guy and I'm sure his team mates will say all the right things. The fact USA Hockey invited him simply adds to his resume, as they recognize his long-term value to US Hockey.

I think the only risk for Kessel is if he acts like some sort of prima dona amongst NHLers, and there is a bit of a backlash. But I really don't see that happening. If he's scores a couple of goals and looks like he belongs, some teams will look at him as being potentially 'ready' with the right linemates, and it might move him back up a spot or two on some teams lists. On other lists, he might not have any room to move up.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I couldn't disagree more. This is actually one of the first opportunities for Kessel to play without much at stake. If he doesn't make an impact, so what? He's 18 years old and it will be chalked up as a good experience for the guy and I'm sure his team mates will say all the right things. The fact USA Hockey invited him simply adds to his resume, as they recognize his long-term value to US Hockey.

I think the only risk for Kessel is if he acts like some sort of prima dona amongst NHLers, and there is a bit of a backlash. But I really don't see that happening. If he's scores a couple of goals and looks like he belongs, some teams will look at him as being potentially 'ready' with the right linemates, and it might move him back up a spot or two on some teams lists. On other lists, he might not have any room to move up.

I agree completely. All he needs to do is keep quiet and keep to the "it's an honor to be named...just happy to be here" type sound bytes. He is realistically only going to get a few minutes a game, not much time to make an impact, but as long as he acts like he belongs with the NHLers it will help him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I can not see how Kessel will fall further than four. In fact I do not see him falling past two. So he is not going to move very far one way or another. However a very very good showing could push him back to the first pick. After all it was the WJC's that really started questions about him. Answer those some at this tournement and who knows what could happen. I actually hope that he does well enough for the Pens to definately move him to the top of their list, but not well enough for St. Louis, who needs some flash, to put him back on their radar.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:

This is a chance for Kessel to show any kind of signs that his game will translate to the NHL. If he looks completely lost on the ice, it won't look good to scouts and will only make the negative buzz that much louder. However, if he somewhat fits in, it's at least a sign that he can make the jump and be successful and will quiet some of the naysayers who think he won't be able to do well at the higher levels.

Put another way - if he tries the "I'm going in 1-on-4" thing here like he tried against Canada at the WJC's, not only will he get knocked on his *** over and over, it's a sign he did not learn from his mistakes in Vancouver. If he tries to be "the man" here and plays selfish, it'll look bad. But if he looks like he's playing as part of a team, looks creative, and so on - in other words, does the things that will make him look good both now and in the future - it'll go a long way toward helping him.

He can't hurt himself badly - but he *could* help himself out quite a bit with a good performance.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Instead of evaluating how his performance may or may not affect his value on draft day, I will just say that this is a tremendous opportunity for a kid like Kessel to experience some great hockey and grow as a person. Just being named to the team will do wonders for his confidence. Good for him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Irish Blues said:
This is a chance for Kessel to show any kind of signs that his game will translate to the NHL. If he looks completely lost on the ice, it won't look good to scouts and will only make the negative buzz that much louder. However, if he somewhat fits in, it's at least a sign that he can make the jump and be successful and will quiet some of the naysayers who think he won't be able to do well at the higher levels.

Put another way - if he tries the "I'm going in 1-on-4" thing here like he tried against Canada at the WJC's, not only will he get knocked on his *** over and over, it's a sign he did not learn from his mistakes in Vancouver. If he tries to be "the man" here and plays selfish, it'll look bad. But if he looks like he's playing as part of a team, looks creative, and so on - in other words, does the things that will make him look good both now and in the future - it'll go a long way toward helping him.

He can't hurt himself badly - but he *could* help himself out quite a bit with a good performance.

So far so good:

Phil Kessel, the American collegian who is expected to be among the top three draft choices next month, made his first start with the senior team and didn't look out of place. "It was nice getting the debut out of the way," he said. "I was impressed with Norway. They were better than I thought."

http://www.ihwc.net/english/article/recaps/?artId=2235

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So how disappointed are you going to be if the Pens don't pick Kessel, Jaded? You seem to be the biggest advocate of that pick on the boards. Though it would be a good pick, I personally think Toews might be a better fit for Crosby's wing, as he does a little bit of everything well, and Crosby can handle goal scoring.

That said, as a Caps fan, I'll be disappointed if anyone the Pens draft does well. :p:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
So how disappointed are you going to be if the Pens don't pick Kessel, Jaded? You seem to be the biggest advocate of that pick on the boards. Though it would be a good pick, I personally think Toews might be a better fit for Crosby's wing, as he does a little bit of everything well, and Crosby can handle goal scoring.

That said, as a Caps fan, I'll be disappointed if anyone the Pens draft does well. :p:

Toews, Staal, Kessel or Johnson. I do not see how anyone could be 'disappointed' whichever way the Pens ultimately go. Though I think that Kessel has gotten a bum rap since the WJC's and will ultimately make people regret passing him. That said, none of these guys are likely to be anything but great for the teams that take them and the Pens are adding no matter which way they go another top flight player to what is already an almost obscene amount of talent.

AgentNaslund*

I cant wait for the Crosby vs Kessel matchup. It be great.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jaded-Fan said:
Toews, Staal, Kessel or Johnson. I do not see how anyone could be 'disappointed' whichever way the Pens ultimately go.

I think you should add Backstrom to that group of four. From what i've heard, he seems the safest surefire top 6 forward in the draft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kessel gets a rare extra chance here. I don't think Crosby even played Worlds until this year. This should motivate Kessel tremendously.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Kessel gets a rare extra chance here. I don't think Crosby even played Worlds until this year. This should motivate Kessel tremendously.

They are both the same age, so why would Crosby have already played at the World's? Kessel being named this year to Team USA at the World's is a surprise to many, but it also shows a lack of interest from all of the American NHL or AHL players, thus USA Hockey having to fill roster spots with somebody.

Roger's Pancreas*

HabLover said:
They are both the same age, so why would Crosby have already played at the World's? Kessel being named this year to Team USA at the World's is a surprise to many, but it also shows a lack of interest from all of the American NHL or AHL players, thus USA Hockey having to fill roster spots with somebody.

If they were the same age then wouldn't you think that they would have been drafted in the same year?

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Panasonic Youth said:
If they were the same age then wouldn't you think that they would have been drafted in the same year?
Ok so Crosby is what, a month older then Kessel?(I really have no idea when Kessel was born, but I think he was an '87 since I believe he was 18 this whole season at Minnesota).

bennypeyton

Jul 29, 2005
www.ak907clothing.com
Has Kessel tried that "drag the puck through the D's triangle" yet in the Worlds?

As a U of M teammate mentioned earlier this year when Gretzky was at practice to watch Wheeler, "the best player to ever play the game is here, and it isn't you".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->