Friedman: Kessel is in play

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm curious because I'm honestly not sure, how far off would a trade of Saad for Kessel straight up be? I know Saad had a poor season this year, but he was on a mess of a team. I'm honestly not sure, just because of how much Saad produces at ES. Despite having a bad season this year, Saad and Kessel actually have very comparable ES point totals in the last 2 years. Kessel has 37 ES goals and 90 ES points in 164 games, and Saad has 40 ES goals and 84 ES points in 164 games. The big difference in their production comes from powerplay points, Saad has 4 powerplay points total in the last 2 years. Kessel has 72.

I don't think Kessel has any more value than Panarin, and I'm starting to understand why Saad for Panarin was basically a straight up swap. Chicago would have to add because Saad is coming off a poor season for his standards, but I'm honestly not sure they'd need to add much. Even this year, Saad had 34 ES points to 50 ES points for Kessel.

Chili Goal

Professor of Goonism
May 27, 2009
I'm curious because I'm honestly not sure, how far off would a trade of Saad for Kessel straight up be?

The big difference in their production comes from powerplay points, Saad has 4 powerplay points total in the last 2 years. Kessel has 72.

Even this year, Saad had 34 ES points to 50 ES points for Kessel.

I can help. it would be a fireable offence if Rutherford traded Kessel for Saad. Saad had a nice playoff like 5 years ago and the Hawks didn't even win the Cup that year. these two players are not on the same level, not even close. Kessel is damn near a PPG player in the playoffs over his career. Saad is like 0.5 playing on some stacked teams.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can help. it would be a fireable offence if Rutherford traded Kessel for Saad. Saad had a nice playoff like 5 years ago and the Hawks didn't even win the Cup that year. these two players are not on the same level, not even close. Kessel is damn near a PPG player in the playoffs over his career. Saad is like 0.5 playing on some stacked teams.

But again, that ignores that Saad doesn't get powerplay points. This isn't an apples to apples comparison here, that was the point of my original post. Yes, there's a big point difference between the two, but it almost solely stems from powerplay points. Saad has 31 ES points in 72 career playoff games, Kessel has 42 ES points in 83 career playoff games.

This isn't me saying that powerplay points don't count, they still do, it's saying that just looking at point totals isn't a fair comparison because both aren't used in the same ways. Kessel is better, but Saad is such a strong ES producer that I'm really having trouble figuring out how big of a difference is between the two. I know Kessel is better, I just don't know by how much is what I'm getting at.

Reactions: Sensators

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
It's not that bad. Nurse is a Top 4 d-man with Top 2 potential who you can sign to a reasonable long-term deal. JP still has bluechip potential. Most of all it frees up a ton of cap space for you guys to go after a bigger name in the offseason.

So the penguins are trading kessel for a cap dump?

If the selling point of your proposal is ‘most of all it frees up a ton of cap space’ it is probably a bad proposal.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013

I agree. That is a terrible proposal.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Or Arvidsson. That's kind of a Neal for Hornqvist type move all over again. Pens save some money and get a different style of player. Nashville gets the better pure talent. Definitely need to add pieces to that deal to make it work.

Also, if Kessel is traded for a winger, the key is that they have to play LW (which I believe Arvidsson does IIRC) because one of the only reasons to move Kessel is an overabundance of RW.
Doubtful Poile does this or would consider it. The point of a trade for us would be to basically upgrade on Smith for that 2nd line and essentially push him down to the third to give some more punch.

I really dont see Poile doing much in the offseason but if he is it would probably be a Dman for more offense or to find a bit of depth.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
People will absolutly hate it!

Pacioretty for kessel swap! you heard it hear first folks!!!!!!!

Then Tavares is gonna be like realy? im in!

Drouin is gonna be like, well shit... you know what fans are right i can't play center put me on the LW

Ducharme will go who is this #27? Julien: Galchenyuk! Ducharme: Why isn't he playing Center? Julien: I don't know, Bergevin told me he couldn't, he told me stick with drouin at Center, don't make me look bad! Ducharme: we'll f*** bergevin he's gone soon anyway, put that kid Center asap.

Drouin - Tavares - Kessel
Zadina - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen/Hudon - Danault - Scherbak

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
People will absolutly hate it!

Pacioretty for kessel swap! you heard it hear first folks!!!!!!!

Then Tavares is gonna be like realy? im in!

Drouin is gonna be like, well ****... you know what fans are right i can't play center put me on the LW

Ducharme will go who is this #27? Julien: Galchenyuk! Ducharme: Why isn't he playing Center? Julien: I don't know, Bergevin told me he couldn't, he told me stick with drouin at Center, don't make me look bad! Ducharme: we'll **** bergevin he's gone soon anyway, put that kid Center asap.

Drouin - Tavares - Kessel
Zadina - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen/Hudon - Danault - Scherbak
let's come back to reality, what's the incentive for the Pens to do this??

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
let's come back to reality, what's the incentive for the Pens to do this??
As much as this post was sarcasm, i think pacioretty would be an insane fit next to malkin and hornqvist! that would be a hell or a complete line, the huge playmaking center who can shoot, the two-way elite complimentary sniper and the skilled gritty player who creates room and goes in front of the net! That line would destroy 5v5

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
PIT: Subban + Pacioretty

NSH: Kessel + Petry

MTL: Letang + Fiala

i don't know how i feel about this for all three teams.

Mixed emotion.

I feel like Montreal gives the least but the return is the most risky.

i think nashville gets hit the most in this trade, they downgrade on the D, Upgrade foward but gets Older!

Penguins Sort of gives alot, but their return package is the best. The Letang vs Subban is a calculated long term risk. the Pacioretty vs Kessel to me can turn out very good.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Did you really see him play top line with Sidney or are you just gonna pretend

Not sure what that has to do with anyhting at all....I guess Malkin also can't play the top line? Lol.

Im sure Kessel, a top 5 RWer AND 92 point player can play the top line on every team in the league and look very good.

Reactions: Freedom

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
That’s really BS reasoning to try and trade Kessel at this point in time. Friedman is just throwing shit at the wall... if it sticks good for him, I doubt it will.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That’s really BS reasoning to try and trade Kessel at this point in time. Friedman is just throwing **** at the wall... if it sticks good for him, I doubt it will.
It's coming from multiple people

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad