KESSEL:Fact or Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
stocktrader said:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7573&mode=threaded&order=0

Kessel's weakness is his mental game. He plays dirty and shows poor leadership.

Maybe more after all can be made for his decision not to play for the Spirit.

I don't know if it is fact or fiction, but I can tell you the super-hyped guys almost always end up on the microscope. And when there's nothing to cry about, people make up attitude problems.

I'm not saying this is what happened here as I don't know Kessel enough. But I can tell you that kind of stuff is a classic that happens all the time.

There was a time when Spezza was a young phenom. But then people started to say he was too lazy and Kovalchuk was much better. But then Kovalchuk was classless and people started talking about the 16/17 years old Ovech-phenomin. That guy was the real deal, everything like Kovalchuk except he had a much better attitude and could pass because everyone knows Ilya can't pass. But then Ovechkin started to get old, so people said he had an even worse attitude. And then his shoulder was destroyed by a giga-talented team and the less mentally gifted said he quit. But no worries because we had a new phenom in Crosby. This time the guy was the real deal. Except he plays in the Q, and the Q sucks. Oh, and Crosby took a rest and didn't go to prospect skill game, so he was a yellowish quitter and had the worse attitude of all. Beware because Kessel is coming and he will be the real deal.

Except he won't be because in the next few months, people are going to cry about him and a new real deal will emerge. His name doesn't matter, nobody gives a **** because a few months later, he too will be put down until some guy in 2007 or 2008 emerge and so on.

I couldn't tie up how Ruutu went from the next Forsberg to a hold out crybaby, Rick Nash gets people really worried because he apparently can't pass, just like Kovalchuk. It's also freaky that he has a bad +/- and hooked some referee. Definitly an attitude problem there. Lehtonen was really good. But then M-A Fleury beat him in a WJC game and suddenly Lehtonen wasn't good and Fleury was better in pressure situation. So now Fleury was top of the crop except a year later, he and Coburn got majorly ****ed up and now Lehtonen was much better in pressure situation.

They're always idealized when they are a little farther away but once they are exposed for all eyes, it seems they all look bad one way or another.

You can bet your ass that if Malkin is going to continue rise on the charts he too, sooner or later, will have some kind of issues related with his attitude once he isn't all shiny and new.

stocktrader

The taunting Malkin did at the expense of the U.S. at the WJC tells the whole story with him. Disgraceful.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
stocktrader said:
The taunting Malkin did at the expense of the U.S. at the WJC tells the whole story with him. Disgraceful.

I'll tell you what the whole story about Malkin. He's one of the most talented players under the age of 20 if not the most talented. He played in the World Championship on a team full of established NHL'ers and played better then alot of them. He established himself as one of the premier talents to come oof Russia in a while. He's a future franchise player and top 5 player in the game. So what if he taunted the U.S. at the WJC these guys are just kids and do what kids do. By taunting the U.S. he just wanted people to get mad and it's exactly what he did.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
stocktrader said:

That's true! Attitude problems!

I also forgot to mention the bones! That's not attitude-related but it's a real worry.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Habsfan 32 said:
I'll tell you what the whole story about Malkin. He's one of the most talented players under the age of 20 if not the most talented. He played in the World Championship on a team full of established NHL'ers and played better then alot of them. He established himself as one of the premier talents to come oof Russia in a while. He's a future franchise player and top 5 player in the game. So what if he taunted the U.S. at the WJC these guys are just kids and do what kids do. By taunting the U.S. he just wanted people to get mad and it's exactly what he did.

Its poor sportsmanship is what it is..and if he hasnt learned it yet then i feel for the kid because he going to get a beating in the NHL if he pulls any of that s***.

stocktrader

FLYLine4LIFE said:
Its poor sportsmanship is what it is..and if he hasnt learned it yet then i feel for the kid because he going to get a beating in the NHL if he pulls any of that s***.
Exactly. Calling him a kid is a poor excuse. He has been drafted into the NHL. I don't see him as the type of player who can lead a team to the Stanley Cup... I was actually a little dissapointed O'sullivan didn't lay a beating on him. He will learn in time...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stocktrader said:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7573&mode=threaded&order=0

Kessel's weakness is his mental game. He plays dirty and shows poor leadership.

Maybe more after all can be made for his decision not to play for the Spirit.

What player doesn't try to get away with some cheap stuff behind the ref's back? I'm not excusing any player's bad behavior, but if that's all that's wrong with Kessel's game, then he must be pretty darn good...........

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
stocktrader said:

I thought it was Ovechkin who was doing the taunting? You sure it was Malkin??

stocktrader

snafu said:
I thought it was Ovechkin who was doing the taunting? You sure it was Malkin??
Positive. He did it worst than Ovechkin. He actually went over and pretended to high five the U.S. bench after scoring an empty netter. Maybe doing things like that is normal where he comes from, but if he tries it in the NHL, he won't last long.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
Rabid Ranger said:
What player doesn't try to get away with some cheap stuff behind the ref's back? I'm not excusing any player's bad behavior, but if that's all that's wrong with Kessel's game, then he must be pretty darn good...........
I agree...And plenty of great leaders have played chippy and "done things behind the referee's back." See Messier, Yzerman & Chelios....

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
stocktrader said:
Positive. He did it worst than Ovechkin. He actually went over and pretended to high five the U.S. bench after scoring an empty netter. Maybe doing things like that is normal where he comes from, but if he tries it in the NHL, he won't last long.

Okay, thanks. I remember thinking the same about Ovechkin's taunts- just try that in the NHL and someone will roll out a real nice "welcome" mat....

stocktrader

Mxpunk said:
I agree...And plenty of great leaders have played chippy and "done things behind the referee's back." See Messier, Yzerman & Chelios....
Yes but it also says he gets irritated easily when the opposing team plays him tough. In other words he gets thrown off his game. This is certainly not a positive attribute.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
stocktrader said:

That's what they said about Kovalchuk when he pumped his fist and made a couple of Canadian fans cry.

Then he went in the NHL and was cocky and he survived.

Then he pulled some of that proverbial **** when he embarassed that clown MacTavish and the whole Oilers crew on the illegal stick-gate.

It's been a while since that and Kovalchuk has survived just fine and added a Rocket Richard since then.

Malkin will be just fine in the NHL, provided he has the balls and talent to contribute on a NHL squad. Claude Lemieux did it on much less talent, and he pulled so much **** the whole arena was stinking at times.

From Chelios to Theo Fleury to Brett Hull to Roy and Roenick, the NHL has had plenty of players who are loud mouthed or cocky and they do just fine, as long as they can contribute. Then when they can't contribute they are ditched, like any other player.

stocktrader

Vlad The Impaler said:
That's what they said about Kovalchuk when he pumped his fist and made a couple of Canadian fans cry.

Then he went in the NHL and was cocky and he survived.

Then he pulled some of that proverbial **** when he embarassed that clown MacTavish and the whole Oilers crew on the illegal stick-gate.

It's been a while since that and Kovalchuk has survived just fine and added a Rocket Richard since then.

Malkin will be just fine in the NHL, provided he has the balls and talent to contribute on a NHL squad. Claude Lemieux did it on much less talent, and he pulled so much **** the whole arena was stinking at times.

From Chelios to Theo Fleury to Brett Hull to Roy and Roenick, the NHL has had plenty of players who are loud mouthed or cocky and they do just fine, as long as they can contribute. Then when they can't contribute they are ditched, like any other player.
That was funny when Kovalchuk checked his stick after scoring right after he was given a penalty for using an illegal stick. I give him credit. :biglaugh:

However If Malkin pulled that stunt of going over and pretending to high five the opposing players bench, he will get his a... kicked.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
stocktrader said:
:amazed:
maybe the guy is/will be smart enough to realize when he can and when he can not do that? :sarcasm:

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:

Isn't it ironic? Only in hockey can you see a guy get called a good leader when he drops the gloves to fight somebody on the other team. Yet if a guy plays a little chippy (especially after he was likely the recipient of some chippy play from the opponent) that means he lacks leadership.

The logic of some people is pretty amazing. :biglaugh:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PuckFan01 said:
Isn't it ironic? Only in hockey can you see a guy get called a good leader when he drops the gloves to fight somebody on the other team. Yet if a guy plays a little chippy (especially after he was likely the recipient of some chippy play from the opponent) that means he lacks leadership.

The logic of some people is pretty amazing. :biglaugh:

I think it was as Vlad said: Sometimes people have to dig pretty hard to find dirt on an athlete that seems to lack alot of weaknesses. I'm not saying Kessel lacks weaknesses (he has a few), but the write-up that is being referred to here is curious to say the least.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
stocktrader said:
That was funny when Kovalchuk checked his stick after scoring right after he was given a penalty for using an illegal stick. I give him credit. :biglaugh:

However If Malkin pulled that stunt of going over and pretending to high five the opposing players bench, he will get his a... kicked.

are you that blind?

its the same thing!!!!!!!!!

Kovalchuk taunted the oilers bench. Malkin taunted the USA's bench.

Whats the difference? :madfire:

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
pavel datsyuk said:
it was all those damn russians, NHL shouldn't allow them into the league. :dunce:

Okay Pasha. :)

Personally I like many of those "damn Russians", just kinda used to the attitude of Pavel or Sergei. Now, about those damn Finns.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->