Kessel Commits to the Gophers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Wow. I thought for sure he would end up at Wisconsin. Oh well...good for him. The Gophers have a great program. Let's just hope he doesn't turn out to be Erik Rasmussen pt. 2. ;)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The Gophers are going to be crazy good. Wow, their back to back recruiting classes for this year and next are out of this world.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Good for him to get a education while he's developing (even if he only stays for 1 or 2 years), and great for NCAA hockey.

Sticky*

He'll do well there, Its a great program. I dont know why people are saying he should be going major junior. I am from Ontario, and would love him here, but its his decision, and people are making it seem like no good players ever come from D1. Heatley anyone (among many many others).

The gophers have him this coming season, and another sensational talent (maybe better), the following season in Peter Mueller.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Jesus, is Mueller headed to Minnesota too?

Well, I personally think the most interesting development next season will be when both Mueller and Kessel outscore Wheeler as freshman peers - despite being two draft years apart.

Won't that be food for message board fodder...

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:

Well, I personally think the most interesting development next season will be when both Mueller and Kessel outscore Wheeler as freshman peers - despite being two draft years apart.

Well..Mueller won't be a gopher until 06....but they continue to stack the prospects.

After Kessel, I think Frazee is their most important recruit.

Jimmy O'Brien is from Minny isn't he? Maybe they'll get him too, but he has to be at least a couple years away.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
Dr.Sens(e) said:

Wheeler is all about winning....that's been his biggest challenge in Green Bay. I believe he will be coming to Minnesota to win National Championships not scoring title's. A 6'5, 210 winger would look good next to the speedy Kessel.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How good can this be for the development of these guys? I mean, on paper, they figure to be winning games 10-0.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Ask a guy like Wes O'neil. He only get picked that low because of his numbers. I do not see that much difference from he and Thelen. Who went higher? People have said lots about O'neil not being smart. Keith Ballard was the most reckless freshman i ve ever seen. He has a huge cast to cover up for him and his mistakes are no big deal. O'neil messed up and he lost the game for his team. If Kessel comes in and scores 70 points he goes #1. If he goes to a less offensive potent team he goes 2-3. In his case it is a no brainer but the other guys may move up or down by rounds which translates to millions of dollars.
And as stacked as we are. Jack Johson(USU18) will go high in draft WI, Brian Lee(MN HS) signed NoDak will go first round. Even in our own conference they are great incoming classes.
Don Lucia is good coach too. Has put Westrum, Taffe, Leopold, Martin, Pohl, Hauser, DeMarchi, all who play next level. Those guys were recruited by Woog. Vanek, Koalska, Riddle, Ballard, G.Potulny all play and were recruited by Lucia. And in this his 6th year at Minny he has 2 national championships.

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
TMHUNH said:
Well..Mueller won't be a gopher until 06....but they continue to stack the prospects.

After Kessel, I think Frazee is their most important recruit.

Jimmy O'Brien is from Minny isn't he? Maybe they'll get him too, but he has to be at least a couple years away.

I forgot to mention Frazee :dunce:

He is so very important on a team that is desperate for some goaltending right now. Also, Stoa will probably be a first round pick too...should be a fun 2-3 year run. I hope Kessel stays long enough to play with Mueller...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
TMHUNH said:

He's a Minnesota kid but he played hockey in Michigan before joining the NTDP. I haven't heard about what schools he's looking at but it would be interesting to know.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:

If Wheeler were 5'10", then yes. However, he is 6'4" and, unlike Kessel, can do things other than score.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
If Wheeler were 5'10", then yes. However, he is 6'4" and, unlike Kessel, can do things other than score.

I hope so, because if he's having trouble scoring in the USHL, he is going to find it much more difficult in the NCAA against players his size who are faster and stronger.

I didn't mean to take a shot at Wheeler as much, as give props Kessel and Mueller. What Mueller is doing with the U-18 has been over-shadowed by Kessel, but few people realize what a prospect he is. He is ahead of Skille and Stoa, while being a year younger - and Skille and Stoa are first rounders in this draft.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I hope so, because if he's having trouble scoring in the USHL, he is going to find it much more difficult in the NCAA against players his size who are faster and stronger.

Wheeler's team doesn't have a lot of offensive skill out there with him. He doesn't have the benefit of playing off of other good players that are going to be able to create for themselves and create for their teammates. He won't face that problem next year.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
If Wheeler plays to his potential he is a playmaker. He may surprise many and get lots of assists and if set up properly will score in bunches.
Danny Irmen had 53 points in 61 games his first year in the USHL. And he played with Gino Guyer for 15 games, Potulny and and Backes for the season.
Kessel may lead the NCAA in scoring. But Wheeler has the potential next year to be a top scorer. It will come down to who is hot. Irmen, Potulny, Hirsh, Guyer, Chucko all play top two lines this year. Wheeler, Stoa, and Bostrom who is shooting .215 with 20 goals in 31 games will have their work cut out to find a top spot.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:

I didn't mean to take a shot at Wheeler as much, as give props Kessel and Mueller. What Mueller is doing with the U-18 has been over-shadowed by Kessel, but few people realize what a prospect he is. He is ahead of Skille and Stoa, while being a year younger - and Skille and Stoa are first rounders in this draft.

Let's not make it out like Wheeler is stinking up the joint in the USHL this year, because he isn't. Coming straight out of high school he is doing very well, considering the jump in play and a still maturing body. He's going to be a player that will take several more seasons before you really know what the sum of his parts is going to be, and IMO that's okay with Phoenix.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
I predict Mueller will NOT ever play for Minnesota. Right to the WHL, you heard it here first! Congrats to Minny anyway, and Skille will SHINE in Madison. Remember where you heard it first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad