Kessel closing gap on Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
Actually, Frolik is only four months younger than Kessel.

All I can say is I can't wait for the college season to start up with Kessel suiting up for Minnesota! :bow: I can't even begin to imagine how good he'll be at the next WJC's!

Misos Milakos*

ODC said:
IMO: if both were available in the draft, I'd take Kessel over Crosby. Actually I'd take Kessel, Brule, then Crosby.

And you'd likely live to regret it, Kessel over Crosby while I would never even consider it, is one thing, but Brule over Crosby, lol... must be from BC.

And to answer your question, yes people would still care if Gretz didn't say a word about Crosby.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Blackshad said:
Hum... he had 17 and 16 years old.. thats alot younger than 20.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Are you trying to agree, or disagree with me?

If you're trying to say it was the fact that Crosby was playing against older players that was behind his lack of success against the good teams at the WJC, well guess what's going to happen when he gets to the NHL? Lots of older players there.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Crosby is without a doubt the best junior player since Eric Lindros and will have a very successful NHL career if he doesn't suffer any serious injuries. He is the next one.

Kessel is a very good hockey player but is more of a one dimensional player. I would compare him more to a Kovalchuk or Bure. He is more flash and dash and will be a succesful NHL player.

Brule is a very good player and I think will suprise many. From what I have seen of Brule he has the most character of all the guys. He is a Messier or Yzerman type of player.

Just my 2 cents. These 3 kids are amazing prospects and I think as somebody else mentioned just like the NBA the NHL is going to a new generation with great young players. Frolik I only seen twice at the WJ but he is also close to these 3 for potential.

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
Rabid Ranger said:
All I can say is I can't wait for the college season to start up with Kessel suiting up for Minnesota! :bow: I can't even begin to imagine how good he'll be at the next WJC's!
I can't wait either!!! Is it October yet?

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
ODC said:
IMO: if both were available in the draft, I'd take Kessel over Crosby. Actually I'd take Kessel, Brule, then Crosby.

No offence, but I'm glad you're not my team's GM. That would be a big mistake. Kessel still has a lot to learn in terms of overall game. I think Crosby projects to be a better player overall, and right now, is a superior player in pretty much all aspects of the game. Kessel is amazing, no doubt, and will keep on developing, but to me, Crosby is clearly ahead.

By no means am I saying Crosby is God, but his overall game is superior to Kessel's where aside from shooting/deking, the gap is still large. Kessel will keep developing though and is already an amazing player.

Can Kessel make his game more complete over the next year? Oh course, but right now, taking Kessel over Crosby would be a mistake imo.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Brule had the mis-fortune of playing 50% of his draft year with injury's. He put up a solid 87 points, but would have had far more if he was healthy. If he gets to play with Bertram next year, expect 100+ points from Brule.

If Gretzky didn't say ''Crosby could break some of my records'' in the summer of 2003, Crosby wouldn't be as hyped. It's as simple as that.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
If Gretzky didn't say ''Crosby could break some of my records'' in the summer of 2003, Crosby wouldn't be as hyped. It's as simple as that.

Crosby was on the map long before Gretzky made that comment. His performance at the Air Canada Cup and Shattuck's had everyone buzzing and his performance warrants the excitement he has created. He's a special player - obviously it took something for Gretzky to notice him.

If you are trying to say Crosby and Brule would be equal if Gretzky had not made that comment, you are out to lunch. Crosby's talent and the way he plays the game is more promising than anything Gretzky could say about him.

CH Wizard

Crosby, I think he's still a step above Kessel.He was the leading scorer of the q at the age of 16, that's just unbeleivable.I think Crosby won't have much troubles at the pro level cause he's a SOLID hardworker and this guy will always somehow find a way to be in front of the net and create a lot of scoring chances.Kessel is a flashy player, a great skater.When he'll add some strenght, he's gonna be DAMN scarry.

Crosby is hyped as hell.Yeah, he has received also a lot of hype because of Gretzky but he has also destroyed the q at 16.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:
You mentioned the sub-par defenceman that Kessel consistently burns in the States, but as soon as he does it against Bourdon, Parent etc. you ignore it.

And where did I mention that?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm tired of reading about the 'Q' this, and the 'Q' that...and if Crosby played in this league, that league or the other league, blah blah blah. Just look at the 'Q' and its track record for churning out NHL superstars. Is THAT not impressive enough to think Crosby is well on his way to doing something special as well? The so-called third wheel in the CHL didn't stop Mario Lemieux from becoming one of the elite athletes ever to lace up the skates. Would Gilbert Brule have been able to win the Q scoring title at 16 last year? Hey, I don't want to knock Brule because he'd be my consensus No. 2 pick this year if I were a GM. It's just that the stuff we're hearing now about Crosby is laughable.

As for Kessel...I have been really impressed with his game the few times I've seen him play. I know they list him as a center but he seems oh so comfortable at right wing. I don't know if I'd move him to the middle if/when he gets drafted by an NHL team. He reminds me of Guy Lafleur, actually. Lafleur also played center in junior hockey, but made his mark on right wing, which seemed like a natural fit for him. He did whatever he wanted on the wing, without any responsibilities. He was clearly a franchise right wing. Lafleur had the slapper, but also could dangle through a phone book. I see similarities with Kessel, though he has a different shot than Lafleur. The speed and quickness is similar, however.

I don't think Kessel is quite at the Crosby level, but he's going to be a delight to watch in the next several years.

FlyersFan10*

This is Pejorative Slured. There are so many Cindy Crosby homers on here, they'd never give an honest answer as to whether or not Kessel has closed the gap. Crosby has done nothing that Daigle, Perrault, Barrie, etc.....countless others haven't done, yet have gone on to be busts. It's a joke. Until Crosby and Kessel set foot in the NHL, we don't know if there is any kind of gap between the two.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:

True, but hype aside, Crosby is still the most dominant Canadian draft eligible prospect since Lindros (and no one else is close). All that Gretzky's comments have done is make casual hockey fans or people who hardly follow the game, who barely know what the CHL is and can't name a single team in any of the leagues, think he is the next Gretzky; and, with all due respect to these people, who really cares what they think? I really don't think Gretzky's comments have any bearing whatsoever on anyone who actually follows junior hockey, and if they do have any bearing, imo it's a split between people who use the comments to build Crosby up ("Gretzky even said...") and people who use the comments to tear him down ("If it wasn't for Gretzky..."), both of which are about as piss poor of an argument as anyone can use.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
FlyersFan10 said:
Until Crosby and Kessel set foot in the NHL, we don't know if there is any kind of gap between the two.

You know what, you are absolutely correct. Let's you and I propose something to the league. The NHL should not have a draft. Just disperse prospects by alphabetical order because until they set foot in the NHL nobody has any business assessing their talent.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
When Crosby was at Shattucks he had Parise, Stafford, Smaby, Parise(G) Hirsh all came out of that program. Not sure how much they overlapped but that would really inflate anybodies numbers. The fact that the Q from all i hear is a more offensive minded and the least physical of all the CHL. I would imagine his numbers to be big all throughout his junior career.
Kessel has been playing with the same players for a good part of his career. The chemisty from him, Stoa and Mueller is plain to see. So he had a big advantage in tournaments. Schedule wise the u18 does play some sub par D-1 programs. But they also play the Michagens, Minnesota, MSU and others. Next year Kessel will be playing most games on Olympic ice. That should really help him look good.
Until they play at the same level against the same competition on a consistant basis it is hard to tell. I do not beileve Crosby to be way way better than Kessel. But i would say he is definitly better. Hard to compare superstars.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
monster_bertuzzi said:
Brule had the mis-fortune of playing 50% of his draft year with injury's. He put up a solid 87 points, but would have had far more if he was healthy. If he gets to play with Bertram next year, expect 100+ points from Brule.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Crosby talk was in full rampage on these boards as far back as the old board days when he was playing for the Dartmouth Subways.

Maybe to the ignorant fan who doesn't know anything about junior hockey, Crosby hype was invented by Gretz in 2003. But the reality is that we have been, and the hockey circles have been talking about this kid since he was 12 and 13.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
scoutman1 said:
I have seen both and Crosby is better by far IMO. Kessel has the better sniper ability but he can not control the play like Crosby can, Crosby makes plays right now that his own teammates don't even see and they do not capitalize on them cause they don't even have a clue that the puck is going to make it to them.

I think that is an outstanding way of putting it. If you watch a game in which Crosby plays, and I mean really watch the game closely, you'll notice this so much. He's so far ahead of anyone else on the ice, that his teammates (at least at this junior level) are left in the dust. This was even evident at the WJC's for me. There were times where Sidney would surprise his teammates with a pass, and they wouldn't be ready for it. Or they just simply couldn't handle it.

Another thing I've noticed with Crosby is how smart he thinks the game, ahead of time. He takes all the right angles to the puck, whether it puts him in a position for a scoring chance or for a battle in the corner.

He's going to get stronger, he's going to get quicker and he's going to get better. Crosby is the type of player who you can tell doesn't take his talent for granted. He works hard and he's always looking to improve his game. Every year I've seen Crosby, it's obvious hes made improvements in every aspect of his game. The talent is there, the attitude is there and the statistics are there. What more can you ask for?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
FlyersFan10 said:
This is Pejorative Slured. There are so many Cindy Crosby homers on here, they'd never give an honest answer as to whether or not Kessel has closed the gap. Crosby has done nothing that Daigle, Perrault, Barrie, etc.....countless others haven't done, yet have gone on to be busts. It's a joke. Until Crosby and Kessel set foot in the NHL, we don't know if there is any kind of gap between the two.

So we can't hype junior prospects until they reach the NHL eh?

Why bother having HockeysFuture then? That's what this place is all about, talking up junior aged hockey players to be future NHL success stories.

What I see as Pejorative Slured is this...why you are on this board if you truly believe that?

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Brock said:
I think that is an outstanding way of putting it. If you watch a game in which Crosby plays, and I mean really watch the game closely, you'll notice this so much. He's so far ahead of anyone else on the ice, that his teammates (at least at this junior level) are left in the dust. This was even evident at the WJC's for me. There were times where Sidney would surprise his teammates with a pass, and they wouldn't be ready for it. Or they just simply couldn't handle it.

Another thing I've noticed with Crosby is how smart he thinks the game, ahead of time. He takes all the right angles to the puck, whether it puts him in a position for a scoring chance or for a battle in the corner.

He's going to get stronger, he's going to get quicker and he's going to get better. Crosby is the type of player who you can tell doesn't take his talent for granted. He works hard and he's always looking to improve his game. Every year I've seen Crosby, it's obvious hes made improvements in every aspect of his game. The talent is there, the attitude is there and the statistics are there. What more can you ask for?

agreed with both post.. the only thing that worries me about crosby is his size.. i know he is stronger than an average 5'10.. but the way he plays does take a lot of wear and tear.. but aside from that every single aspect of the game he is top notch..

FlyersFan10*

Brock said:
So we can't hype junior prospects until they reach the NHL eh?

Why bother having HockeysFuture then? That's what this place is all about, talking up junior aged hockey players to be future NHL success stories.

What I see as Pejorative Slured is this...why you are on this board if you truly believe that?

Obviously you didn't read what I said. I went on to explain why it's Pejorative Slured for. There are SOOOOO many Crosby homers on here, not one will give an honest answer about whether or not Kessel has closed the gap.

I don't mind the part of hyping prospects because I know I've done my share of it. The problem I have is that people have blinders on when they see Crosby and they figure nobody is in his league. And as long as that's the case, then yeah, you'll never get a straight answer and yeah, the point of debating whether or not Kessel has closed the gap is redundant.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
FlyersFan10 said:
Obviously you didn't read what I said. I went on to explain why it's Pejorative Slured for. There are SOOOOO many Crosby homers on here, not one will give an honest answer about whether or not Kessel has closed the gap.

I don't mind the part of hyping prospects because I know I've done my share of it. The problem I have is that people have blinders on when they see Crosby and they figure nobody is in his league. And as long as that's the case, then yeah, you'll never get a straight answer and yeah, the point of debating whether or not Kessel has closed the gap is redundant.

Ok fair enough. I read your post as saying that you thought it was Pejorative Slured to compare them now because they havent reached the NHL yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad