Kessel and Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo*

I'm inclined to think there at least a few g.m's who might be tempted to take Kessel over Crosby.I think some parts of Kessels game at least look better then Crosby's from what i've witnessed.He's a tantalizing prospect with his blend of sheer speed and abiity for scoring goals(he's no Russ Courtnall),i look at him and see a very young Ilya Kovalchuk minus the size and Kovalchuk was one of the most exciting and talented young prospects to come along in a long time.He's had a pretty good career so far too!!! and it's only going to get better of course.

I agree Crosby's a way better all around player but from what i've seen of him i'm still not sure he has seperated himself as a prospect away from guys like Malkin,Ovechkin,Phaneuf, and........Kessel.Though many scouts and hockey people seem to think so :dunno:

I guess i just don't see the possibility of some g.m's liking Kessel over the Crozz as farfetched.I know both are going to be great players though.

I will say i am of course hoping Crosby blows all these guys away in the nhl.Myself i'd be too nervous taking Kessel over Crosby but i can see how some might gamble a little bit and do it.Kessel is impressive..............let's watch and see how he does at Minny this year.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I really like Le Golie quick comment about the American kid's potential marketing value.

This is a factor that could make some american nhl teams thinks twice before picking Crosby. If this 17-13 count was actually remotly close to reality, i'd bet what you want there's not a single canadian team into the 13 pros-Kessel batch.

I've seen only a few games of Kessel so i cant really comment. But i've seen quite a good bunch of Crosby games, especially playoffs hockey and i find it hard to believe there might be another one better than him coming into a 1 year span. Calling me anything else than best-junior-16-17 years old junior EVER is almost calling him short...

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Kessel and the u18 team played alot of D1 teams. Including the gophers. He had 2g and 2a in that game and was the best player on the ice. IMO he allready semi dominated D1 hockey.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Anksun said:
I really like Le Golie quick comment about the American kid's potential marketing value.

This is a factor that could make some american nhl teams thinks twice before picking Crosby. If this 17-13 count was actually remotly close to reality, i'd bet what you want there's not a single canadian team into the 13 pros-Kessel batch.

I've seen only a few games of Kessel so i cant really comment. But i've seen quite a good bunch of Crosby games, especially playoffs hockey and i find it hard to believe there might be another one better than him coming into a 1 year span. Calling me anything else than best-junior-16-17 years old junior EVER is almost calling him short...

While I wish the NHL was smart enough to try and market some of the American players, they've proved to be inept of that in the past, and nothing makes me think they'll do a better job in the future.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
once kessel plays a full NCAA season, we will easier be able to compare the two, though crosby will have already played a NHL year. in 2-3 years we should definitely know.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Chaos said:
Its enough of an argument. A guy calling himself Crosbyfan saying its not even close. What a shocker. Meanwhile, 13 out of 30 NHL GM's(you know, guys who actually know something other than media hype) say otherwise. I think I'll take the opinion of NHL GM's over some kid on the internet who bases his opinion on hype(and perhaps nationality)

Did 13 out of 30 GMs say that, though? The article says 'If both were eligible this season, McGuire said the split would probably be “17 general managers who favored Crosby and 13 who favored Kessel.†' Just what the hell is with the "probably"? Obviously he didn't talk to all 30 GMs, or rather, obviously 13 didn't categorically say they would choose Kessel, while the other 17 categorically said they'd choose Crosby because if that was the case, there'd be no need for Kevin Allen, the writer, to include "probably."

Does anyone have the full context of McGuire's quote--was it on air or was it in an interview (possibly from Kevin Allen)? Because as is, it seems to just be McGuire postulating on what GMs would do, not what actual GMs said they'd do, kind of like how people here say things like "no GM would take player x over player y." So, really, who knows? Maybe more would actually take Kessel. Maybe none would take Kessel. As is, without any real context or firm assertion, I hardly think McGuire's quote holds much weight.

As for Kessel and Crosby, not to take anything away from Kessel, but I think Crosby is the superior player/prospect by a decent margin as of today. I think the next year is going to clear things up, though: we'll see how Crosby does in the NHL and we'll see how Kessel is viewed after the inevitable backlash that all hyped top prospects receive.

Even though, he's an old player for his draft year, Kessel's still got that new car smell. He's got to perform noticeably better than Parise did as freshman or people are going to start comparing him more to Parise than a LaFontaine/Hull hybrid. He's also going to have the people coming out wondering just how dominant he can be when his speed is more neutralized. Right now, he can walk by many of his peers at will, but in the NHL, everyone's a good skater. Look what was written about a former hyped to death prospect: "He has fine, soft hands, but in junior he could just swat the puck past somebody and say 'Let's race for it,' and would win most of these races. But the same move in the NHL doesn't pay off. He wins maybe half. The other chances go to waste." Kessel's shot should help him succeed even if his speed is neutralized (at least more neutralized than it is now by U20 Swedish defenders and 17 year olds), but the dominance of his game, at least from what I've seen (a handful of games and more than a handful of goals), is based on the dominance of his skating, so how will his game react when he loses his dominant advantage? He hasn't been tested yet and has been able to rely on his wheels, but what happens when his wheels alone aren't able to allow him to dominate? Sure, he'll most likely be smart enough to adapt or maybe he'll luck out and his skating will be enough (or maybe a little bit of both), but I think these are the things that are going to be questioned, and questioned to death in the coming year (based on how guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, and Spezza were treated).

BTW, that other super skating prospect was Daigle, and, imo, Kessel compares a lot closer with Daigle than Crosby does: Kessel and Daigle were/are average/smaller sized guys who dominated junior age competition with their incredible skating, while the only thing Daigle and Crosby really share are that physically they were/are both average/smaller sized guys--though Crosby has shown uncanny lower body strength and strength on the puck that belies his stature--and they both dominated the same league, but their games as a whole, at least from a junior prespective, are noticeably different. Kessel might escape the Daigle comparisons because he doesn't play in the Q, but, in my eyes, he's going to have to overcome what Daigle couldn't if he's going to be an elite player. He probably will adapt, but there are going to be questions until he does, and since he's a year away from being drafted, he's going to have to put up with the questions (and the unreasoned backlash), and, like his predecessors, he and this whole board are going to have to put up with it because he obviously can't prove himself if he's too young to play in the league. We've seen this story time and time again, and Kessel's going to be no different.

Give it time and we'll see how things play out. Whatever the case, it'll be fun to watch.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I ll say i will take Crosby first off. But Kessel is not small. He is listed at 6 feet now, could maybe grow an inch or at least grow to a solid 6 feet pushing 6'1. Listed at 185 could fill out to 200. Thats Gaborik size. Not small.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
hockeyman28 said:
sidney crosbys goal scoring ability is becoming a bit underrated here. Remember he scored 66 g in 62 games last season. Sure he is the better playmaker of the two, but to say that kessel will easily score more goals is kinda off. Sure Crosby is a great passer, but the thing that allows for this is his ability to score.

He can beat you in so many ways. He is one of the best one on one players ive ever seen. You can score 120 goals in 121 games in major junior without knowing how to find the net. Kessel is a great player and i see him as a kovalchuk type talent, but is definitely take a player like forsberg who can pass than kovalchuk, who does pass but not as well as foppa.

You are correct, I don't think Kessel would have scored 80 goals in 75 Q games last year. No way!

So I think it's pretty difficult to say Kessel's goal scoring ability is better, if any, than Crosby's.

AgentNaslund*

Crosby in a heartbeat. Crosby played awesome in every game he played at the world Juniors. Hes a set up guy, he generates his own scoring chance, finds the open man, making unthinkable plays, like "how did he do that?" type of plays, or a play that is like, "how in the world did he thread that pass through those guys" and he hits like mad. Peter Forsberg with good speed, and scoring touch.

I saw at least 4 USA games at the world Juniors, TSN broadcasted it, and I focused on Phil Kessel especially, and he was nowhere near domination compared to Crosby. ON top of that Kessel was on the top line, while, Crosby's ice time, was equally divided into 3 because canada was so deep.

Kessel is gonna be a star, but i even take Ovechkin over him.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Crosby overrated, Kessel underrated. The difference is nowhere near as large as some make it out to be.

Is it so unreasonable that some might choose Kessel over Godby?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
PecaFan said:
Crosby overrated, Kessel underrated. The difference is nowhere near as large as some make it out to be.

Is it so unreasonable that some might choose Kessel over Godby?

Kessel underrated?

:biglaugh:

SensItComing

Jul 23, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
American vs. Canadian

No doubt Kessel will be the best American prospect since Mike Modano and that would sway alot of GM's to pick him over Crosby. Like it or not putting bums in the seats is the main job of the GM.

Just because 13 of 30 GM's may have chosen Kessel over Crosby doesn't equate to Kessel having more upside potential than Crosby. He may just be more marketable in places like Minnesota, Chicago, L.A., New York ...

Pavel Bure was the best natural scorer I have ever seen (and yes I am old enough to remember Lafleur, Bossy...) but he was far from being the best hockey player that I have ever seen. I suspect that Kessel could be similar if not mentored properly.

Last edited:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Interesting to see what effect the new "open" NHL game will have on scouts and GM's. Kessel thrives on open space where he is able to utilize his speed on the rush to generate scoring chances. He is not as effective in close checking affairs where the game is slowed down and every inch of the ice is contested.

The question is, however, how open will the game really become? In my opinion, the lack of scoring and offensive chances/production has less to do with the way the game was played and more to do with the number of teams that have seriously diluted the concentration of talent. Truth be told, in my opinion, the game will only see a modest increase in offensive chances and there will be very little ice to play in.

Crosby on the other hand can play in any type of situation and game. Until Kessel proves otherwise, there is very little comparison between the two and Crosby comes out ahead by a comfortable margin.

Ogopogo*

KeepitinPitt said:
I was browsing a few team forums today (not on HF) and came across a post about Kessel. The author suggested about 1/2 of the GMs would have chosen Kessel over Sidney if given the chance at this years draft and that a recent poll actually proved this claim. I was wondering if everyone was in the same position what they would have done. I've only seen Kessel once and he looked very slick and impressive, on the other hand I've only seen a few highlight videos on Crosby.

So does anyone think Kessel has more potential or is Crosby really a step ahead of him. If you were Craig Patrick and they both came out, would Kessel have made you think twice? Just curious, I honestly haven't seen them play enough to make a judgement (I suppose I could based on hype but I'd rather not). If this has been done already Ill delete it.

Just shows you how uneducated some posters are.

No NHL GM would pick Kessel over Crosby without losing his job that very day.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Ogopogo said:

......and how about those sportscasters(McGuire) ? :dunno:

Anyway,methinks all these silly discussions are going to end very, very soon. :)

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Ogopogo said:

If Crosby, Kessel and Ovechkin were all in the same draft and the leafs had the #1 pick, the leafs would find some finnish defensemen who's upside was Aki Berg and pick him first :help:

Nobody would lose their jobs over it either.

Tom

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
thomasincanada said:
If Crosby, Kessel and Ovechkin were all in the same draft and the leafs had the #1 pick, the leafs would find some finnish defensemen who's upside was Aki Berg and pick him first :help:

Nobody would lose their jobs over it either.

Tom
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Leaf hater or disgruntled fan?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'd take Kessel because I don't like canadians and Crosby has no charisma what so ever...

I keed! I keed!

except the charisma comment...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Chaos said:
Its enough of an argument. A guy calling himself Crosbyfan saying its not even close. What a shocker. Meanwhile, 13 out of 30 NHL GM's(you know, guys who actually know something other than media hype) say otherwise. I think I'll take the opinion of NHL GM's over some kid on the internet who bases his opinion on hype(and perhaps nationality)

I can't really blame you. If McGuire claimed that 13 out of 30 farmers thought that pigs could fly, and you had never heard of a pig before then maybe you're going to believe it...

But the first time you saw a pig you would start to become a little suspicious of McGuire.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
I can't really blame you. If McGuire claimed that 13 out of 30 farmers thought that pigs could fly, and you had never heard of a pig before then maybe you're going to believe it...

But the first time you saw a pig you would start to become a little suspicious of McGuire.

Worst analogy ever.......

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Crosbyfan said:

Best analogy ever.........but tell me ,was it inspired by the avatar of the post
prior to yours......you know-the one with the pig in space. :D

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
pei fan said:
Best analogy ever.........but tell me ,was it inspired by the avatar of the post
prior to yours......you know-the one with the pig in space. :D

I think it was! I wondered the same thing after I posted. LOL

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Here is a comparisoan of of the two. Crosby on the Q averaged 2.71 points a game and was number one. Marek Zagrapan averaged 1.51 points a game and was 13th for a difference of 1.2.

Jack Skille averaged .88 points a game and was 7th. So if someone from Skille's league were to average more than 1.2 more points a game or the same they could go number one. Kessel averaged 1.94 points a game for a difference of 1.06.

Going by how others faired in their leagues Kessel and Crosby both have a claim at number one. Its a stretch but i think the u18 does get all the respect that is coming to them. So i had to use points differentials to get the point across.

The thing that hurts Kessel and helps Crosby is just getting points. Kessel is an offensive powerhouse. If he does not score he does not look good. If Crosby does not score chances are he did something else to help his team win. So when people see a game or two of Kessel's he can look ok but not great. But any one who saw him in the Sweden game in the WJC saw what he is capable of 3 goals and 1 assist. Against the gophers 2g and 2a. For 5g and 3a against two very good teams. So anyone basing their side on those two games IMO would take Kessel. Anyone who has not seen the video clip of Kessel on hockeyvids.com should check it out.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Crosbyfan said:

Quite possibly the worst analogy in the history of mankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad