Kessel #2 Pick in 2005 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Checker said:
My advice to whoever gets the 1st overall pick (hopefully the Blues)...Trade down

Kessel could burn you either way as if you select him, he does have a bust factor to him. If you select Toews and Kessel plays to his potential, you'll look like an idiot. I'd say hope that someone with a top 10 pick really likes Kessel or Johnson and will part with some assets to move up. Then select a Staal, Mueller, or Backstrom. All 3 of those guys could end up being every bit as good as Kessel or Toews.

Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea, but again if it were the pens picking #1, they would draft Johnson instead of trading the pic. I dont know how far Frolik has fallen, but trading down a couple of spots and getting Staal or Frolik + whatever you gain in the trade would be IMO awesome.
Im still convexed at how Toews was pushing for the #1 pick before the WJ and still a top 3 lock right now basically. He will be solid but his upsides to me seem limited, he has no special quality. Id much rather have a Staal, Frolik or Backstrom than Toews.
If toews went first he would be the worst 1st overall pick since Stefan.

OilerOlli*

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
well we already have 1 nhl gm (brian burke) on record saying there is no way hed take Kessel first. so there goes the 99%

Wow, didn't know that. Who want you take instead of Kessel? Toews, Frolik, Johnson? I don't know if that would be a smart decision. Kessel is the best prospect from all these Players. If you need a Defenseman than perhaps Johnson, but I think you can't pass on Kessel. He has too much skills.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Is it just me, or does Kessel sound a bit like Alexander Daigle skillwise going into the draft? Please be gentle. (And remember, Daigle was decent before he decided he'd rather try to be a hollywood star rather than a hockey player).

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
RandV said:
Is it just me, or does Kessel sound a bit like Alexander Daigle skillwise going into the draft? Please be gentle. (And remember, Daigle was decent before he decided he'd rather try to be a hollywood star rather than a hockey player).
I keep thinking about that draft year this year, where Daigle went over Pronger. I'm not saying Kessel will turn out to be the next Daigle nor that Johnson will be the next Pronger, but the situation reminds me very much of that year.

Phanuthier*

fyug said:
The only people who think Towes is worthy of going #1 overall are biased Canadians who can't tolerate the fact that an American is the best draft-eligible player. The #1 overall pick will be either Kessel or Erik Johnson, depending on if a team needs a defenseman or not.
Ah, that's why I'd take E. Johnson over Towes/Kessel.

Sound logic

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
well we already have 1 nhl gm (brian burke) on record saying there is no way hed take Kessel first. so there goes the 99%

Any GM who gives away his drafting strategy months before the draft is a tool. I wouldn't take Burke's comments with a grain of salt.

AgentNaslund*

King'sPawn said:
Any GM who gives away his drafting strategy months before the draft is a tool. I wouldn't take Burke's comments with a grain of salt.

It what just a plain and simple I wouldnt take Kesse first overall comment. Its nothing serious. He wont. bad attitude, puck hog, fighting with teamates. Burke does not like type of those players. Hes traded them away from Vancouver, he will do that in Anahiem.

So far its Doug Maclean and Burke that said they wouldnt take Kessel number 1.....

JohnnyW10

Jan 10, 2006
Vancouver
Phanuthier said:
You said USA is guerenteed to win gold... they didn't.

You said USA is guerenteed to beat Canada... they didn't.

You said USA is guerenteed to beat Russia... they didn't.

You said Russia is guerenteed to curb stomp Canada... they didn't.

You said Pogge would get lite up like a Christmas tree against Russia... they didn't.

You said USA would curb stomp Finland... they didn't.

You said USA would light up Rask... they didn't.

So, I guess that almost guerentees that Towes will go No 1!

i think someone just got lit up like a xmas tree, well said

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Phanuthier said:

You said Pogge would get lite up like a Christmas tree against Russia... they didn't.

This is possibly the best, funniest and most abstractly intellegent posts I have ever seen.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rush5Collapse5 said:
rofls @ "toews" :biglaugh:

Anyone who thinks Toews lost some stock at the WJHC tournament loses any credibility they had.

If you can't identify all the great things he did during the tournament and especially during the gold medal game, then you know nothing about hockey.

And if you don't understand that, then you don't even know enough to know that you don't know. Re-read that sentance until you understand it.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Phanuthier said:

I never misspelled guarantee.

That reasoning of yours isn't flawed at all either, Toews must go #1 if my WJC predictions went bad. Good thinking.

-

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rush5Collapse5 said:
I never misspelled guarantee.

That reasoning of yours isn't flawed at all either, Toews must go #1 if my WJC predictions went bad. Good thinking.

-

Cut your losses.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
"from what ive been reading, after Kessel and that Johnson dude is really a weak draft year"

This from a poster in a Edmonton thread. Sounds like whoever he's reading is on the same page as I am about Toews.

But hey look at it this way, you can always pray for another miracle.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rush5Collapse5 said:
"from what ive been reading, after Kessel and that Johnson dude is really a weak draft year"

This from a poster in a Edmonton thread. Sounds like whoever he's reading is on the same page as I am about Toews.

Cut your losses.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Your record is skipping and that didn't make any sense. How is this a loss? -->

Bruin Stain

Oct 26, 2005
Winnipeg
RandV said:
i'd say more of a pavel brendl

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
At worst, Kessel has kept about the same draft position as he would have had last year, which is two. IMO, the only other player that has a chance to go number one is Erik Johnson, which is a very real possibility, especially if the team picking is leaning towards a defenseman. Again, Toews is a nice player, and will definately be picked top five, but he isn't number one overall material. That doesn't mean he won't be the best player out of his draft class though. Any number of players could fit that description in the end.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AgentNaslund said:
It what just a plain and simple I wouldnt take Kesse first overall comment. Its nothing serious. He wont. bad attitude, puck hog, fighting with teamates. Burke does not like type of those players. Hes traded them away from Vancouver, he will do that in Anahiem.

So far its Doug Maclean and Burke that said they wouldnt take Kessel number 1.....

1) Show me evidence Kessel has a "bad attitude." I've never seen that reported once.

2) Puck hog? The proof is in the pudding. If you watch any number of Gopher games, which I'm sure you don't, you'd note that he is quite adept and willing to share the puck. He is 2nd on the team in assists, which is quite remarkable for a puck hog.

3) Fighting with teammates? You mean some personality conflicts with guys like Jack Skille and Jack Johnson?

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Given that Kessel is from the US and that first pick will go to an US team this season, I do see no real chance any team not drafting Kessel or trading down.

How would that GM/team look if Kessel reaches his full potential and becomes the US born NHL superstar. No US based team can take that chance.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
1) Show me evidence Kessel has a "bad attitude." I've never seen that reported once.

2) Puck hog? The proof is in the pudding. If you watch any number of Gopher games, which I'm sure you don't, you'd note that he is quite adept and willing to share the puck. He is 2nd on the team in assists, which is quite remarkable for a puck hog.

3) Fighting with teammates? You mean some personality conflicts with guys like Jack Skille and Jack Johnson?

Agreed, I heard all those things coming in also. I have not seen nor heard that since. Other than the Hatfields vs McCoys (Kessel vs Skille) I have not heard of any personality issues. I've been a season ticket holder for 15 yrs and I have a few minor "inside" connections. Only thing I've heard is that personally he is pretty shy, IMO that's not a flaw, just a trait.

Puck hog: First few games, yes...Since then, absolutely not. Didn't he lead the WJC in assists (yeayea Norway stinks etc, etc, etc)? Dishes the puck wonderfully on the PP.
:yo: :yo:

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Your record is skipping and that didn't make any sense. How is this a loss? -->

And that shows how much you know about this years draft class.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Kessel needs some major improvement if he wants to be decent in the NHL, he's only got one move on a one-on-one, and it failed just about every time in the WJC.

Outside-inside, he tried it every single time.

I don't understand the hype about this guy.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
therealdeal said:
Kessel needs some major improvement if he wants to be decent in the NHL, he's only got one move on a one-on-one, and it failed just about every time in the WJC.

Outside-inside, he tried it every single time.

I don't understand the hype about this guy.

And yet he lead the WJC's in scoring..... Yeah, "the move" is getting old, but that's not all he brings to the table.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
If you watch Kessel and when he does the move.
A: Has gotting rid of it on the PP. He got that 1-2 is not as good as 5-4.
B: It has worked once this year, on a forward playing point on a PP.
C: It almost always gets a faceoff in the zone. Kessel is above 50% on facefoffs.
D: When it does not get a face off its almost the same as dumping and chasing, The goalie makes a save or the D man kicks it in the corner. Only vs the dump and chase the 2 d men are in front of the net worried about Phil. Opens the corners for forwards to go get the puck.
E: When he has numbers he does pass it off.

In all honesty i wish he would do that alot less. Pull up more at the blue line like he does on the PP and hit a streaking wing or over eager d man. And he is doing this a little more.

Like RR said. He lead the WJC in points. Getting 10 assist. Is second on the gophers in assists. Everyone is right his 1:1 stuff is not working but still putting up those numbers, something is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad