Kerry Fraser's Book

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hey Fellas -- welcome back. Read Kerry Fraser's book recently. Some good stories of him getting into NHL and his experience reff'ing over several decades.

I defend the officials most time (of course mistakes are made) and I think I made a post last year or the year before about how difficult of a job it is.

This paragraph seemed to echo that same sentiment:

"Over my 30 plus years in this business, Ive come to realize that refereeing is an art form. You are dealing with many personalities on the ice, from players to coaches to your fellow officials. You have to take in as much of the game as possible, at breakneck speed, staying in position while skating backwards ahead of the play, staying out of the way of the players, and making decisions in a fraction of a second. You read the play and know instinctively where the players are going to go or who they are going to pass the puck to before it even happens. You truly develop a sixth sense, a feel for the game, and all the while watching 10 players for any infractions they might commit when they think you’re not looking.”

- The Final Call – Kerry Fraser

He left out the part of the game where players embellish and take dives. Yeah -- not a easy gig.

PS. We lost cuz we suck, not because the "refs suck" -- just wanted to get that out there for the first time this season. :)

LGI!

Last edited:

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hey Fellas -- welcome back. Read Kerry Fraser's book recently. Some good stories of him getting into NHL and his experience coaching over several decades.

I defend the officials most time (of course mistakes are made) and I think I made a post last year or the year before about how difficult of a job it is.

"Over my 30 plus years in this business, Ive come to realize that refereeing is an art form. You are dealing with many personalities on the ice, from players to coaches to your fellow officials. You have to take in as much of the game as possible, at breakneck speed, staying in position while skating backwards ahead of the play, staying out of the way of the players, and making decisions in a fraction of a second. You read the play and know instinctively where the players are going to go or who they are going to pass the puck to before it even happens. You truly develop a sixth sense, a feel for the game, and all the while watching 10 players for any infractions they might commit when they think you’re not looking.”

He left out the part of the game where players embellish and take dives. Yeah -- not a easy gig.

PS. We lost cuz we suck, not because the "refs suck" -- just wanted to get that out there for the first time this season. :)

LGI!
They do suck though

If you can’t be perfect, at least be consistent. That is where they fail

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
An art form. Lol. That's where hockey referees become the worst pro sports officials. This 'art form' approach results in game management instead of a more strict adherence to the rule book - which is more of a science based approach IMO. The 'feel for the game' crap alienates all fans because it is a simple fact that we all 'feel the game' differently - as do the players - and as a result we all end up frustrated. Particularly when we read and interpret the rule book the same way.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Hey Fellas -- welcome back. Read Kerry Fraser's book recently. Some good stories of him getting into NHL and his experience reff'ing over several decades.

LGI!
Yeah but you still screwed up that call in this weekends peewee game.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
An art form. Lol. That's where hockey referees become the worst pro sports officials. This 'art form' approach results in game management instead of a more strict adherence to the rule book - which is more of a science based approach IMO. The 'feel for the game' crap alienates all fans because it is a simple fact that we all 'feel the game' differently - as do the players - and as a result we all end up frustrated. Particularly when we read and interpret the rule book the same way.

You want strict adherence? I dont think so.

Refs call a hold during a play at the net with G pulled, and everyone loses their mind. "How can you call that with 45 seconds left!!!!!!" --- Yall can't have it both ways under "strict adherence".. I think all teams kinda appreciate that some things are "let go" at the end of a close game.

Yet football and baseball violations are called without incident during the end of a close game and its all ok. Theres just no easy answer for hockey. Mistakes are made and calls are missed.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Refs call a hold during a play at the net with G pulled, and everyone loses their mind. "How can you call that with 45 seconds left!!!!!!" --- Yall can't have it both ways under "strict adherence".. I think all teams kinda appreciate that some things are "let go" at the end of a close game.

Yet football and baseball violations are called without incident during the end of a close game and its all ok. Theres just no easy answer for hockey. Mistakes are made and calls are missed.

No they aren't. Fans complain about officials in every sport, especially at the end of the game. Did you see the Jets game with the late game interception?

As long as the referees are being consistent within the game they're working, they're communicating with the players and coaches for each team, and they have control of the game, then I don't have any issues. What tends to happen with hockey is that the officials let the players play for most of the game but if it starts getting too chaotic they try to reel it back in by being more strict with the rules. I don't think that's an effective way to do it. Once you've established the baseline for the game you need to continue to adhere to that. If the referees are adamant about calling gray area calls late in the game to regain control they've already lost, that should be made clear to the teams that things are going to tighten up before doing so.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
There would be 100 penalties a game if there was a "strict adherence to the rule book." Of course the flagrant fouls should be called 100% of the time (and for the most part they are). But where it gets tricky are the gray areas. Was it a "hockey play" or was it a foul? Was that intentional? Yeah he stuck is arm out but did he really hold him? Did he even touch him? Shit, if I don't call this the other dude is gonna lose his mind and go after him. There's a lot going on. Easy to say "just call it by the book." But that's just not reality.

No they aren't. Fans complain about officials in every sport, especially at the end of the game. Did you see the Jets game with the late game interception?

As long as the referees are being consistent within the game they're working, they're communicating with the players and coaches for each team, and they have control of the game, then I don't have any issues. What tends to happen with hockey is that the officials let the players play for most of the game but if it starts getting too chaotic they try to reel it back in by being more strict with the rules. I don't think that's an effective way to do it. Once you've established the baseline for the game you need to continue to adhere to that. If the referees are adamant about calling gray area calls late in the game to regain control they've already lost, that should be made clear to the teams that things are going to tighten up before doing so.
I think that happens much more than fans realize.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I don't understand people that advocate for "strict, by the book" refereeing. Consistency is only an issue if you're under the impression that human beings are consistent at all and don't make decisions based on context.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think that happens much more than fans realize.

Whenever video of the officials come out and they're mic'ed up you hear it a lot.

I've had it happen both ways in terms of calling more tightly or allowing things to stay loose.

In a finals game I specifically remember after the second period where play started to get progressively more chippy and there was lots of complaining from both benches a referee spoke to the captains between periods and told them they aren't calling anything unless it's egregious or takes a scoring opportunity away. You get a stick in the hands for a second in the neutral zone? Too bad. You get slashed as you're passing by someone out of your own end? Too bad. As long as we didn't do anything incredibly dumb nothing was going to be called. Both benches were like, "that's fine, as long as it's even" and it was a great third period because everyone stopped crying about the non-calls since we knew they weren't coming.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't understand people that advocate for "strict, by the book" refereeing. Consistency is only an issue if you're under the impression that human beings are consistent at all and don't make decisions based on context.

With some rules there's even dispute over what it means on the written page, let alone when it's being applied in a game.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
What tends to happen with hockey is that the officials let the players play for most of the game but if it starts getting too chaotic they try to reel it back in by being more strict with the rules. I don't think that's an effective way to do it.
I like that, actually. It lets the game evolve organically. I say this with the assumption that there's an understood baseline of tolerance, and I don't see why there wouldn't be based on communication with the players, benches, etc. that you see happen. It doesn't feel like players often complain about the tenor of the game, only really that they become victims to it. That being said, the refs are human and sometimes use what feels like poor judgment. That's to be expected, I think.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I like that, actually. It lets the game evolve organically. I say this with the assumption that there's an understood baseline of tolerance, and I don't see why there wouldn't be based on communication with the players, benches, etc. that you see happen. It doesn't feel like players often complain about the tenor of the game, only really that they become victims to it. That being said, the refs are human and sometimes use what feels like poor judgment. That's to be expected, I think.

I think the Islanders suffered from overzealous officiating in the early games of the latest playoff series with Carolina. Martin and Clutterbuck were essentially neutered because if they did anything within a gray area they were getting called instantly. It seemed to have a spiral effect on some of the players in those games.

The issue I have with reeling it back in is that things that are being called a penalty in the third period weren't being called earlier. If players see something go uncalled 15 times they'll feel like the officials are allowing it, then do it, and it's understandable to get frustrated when you get called at that point.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Theres no where near the same amount of complaining by fans from those two sports compared to hockey.

Not even close. The action is stop/start and much easier to officiate.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think the Islanders suffered from overzealous officiating in the early games of the latest playoff series with Carolina. Martin and Clutterbuck were essentially neutered because if they did anything within a gray area they were getting called instantly. It seemed to have a spiral effect on some of the players in those games.
Brind'Amour was smart enough to leverage against the refs. I don't mind this because it adds drama to the series. Lambert needed to adjust and didn't.
The issue I have with reeling it back in is that things that are being called a penalty in the third period weren't being called earlier. If players see something go uncalled 15 times they'll feel like the officials are allowing it, then do it, and it's understandable to get frustrated when you get called at that point.
Again, that's under the assumption that there's no communication between the players and refs in regard to those calls. "Hey man, if you keep doing that, I'm eventually going to have to call it." Other players may complain, "Hey, he keeps doing this, can you watch that?"

The players, I assume, test the limits there and the frustration comes from doing that, I think.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Theres no where near the same amount of complaining by fans from those two sports compared to hockey.

Not even close. The action is stop/start and much easier to officiate.

I don't believe this to be true at all but there's no reliable way to determine it.

Brind'Amour was smart enough to leverage against the refs. I don't mind this because it adds drama to the series. Lambert needed to adjust and didn't.

Again, that's under the assumption that there's no communication between the players and refs in regard to those calls. "Hey man, if you keep doing that, I'm eventually going to have to call it." Other players may complain, "Hey, he keeps doing this, can you watch that?"

The players, I assume, test the limits there and the frustration comes from doing that, I think.

I agree, there's a lot of unknown when it comes to the information fans have when making determinations about the calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad