Kenndal McArdle - What's his upside??

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by AgentNaslund*, May 26, 2007.

1. Drafted in the Sidney Crosby year. Tagged a power foward type of player. Has offensive ablities. Rumors had it that flyers traded down to pick Downie and not draft McCardle.

When Giants acquired him, he was not good at all. He was on a powerhouse team and still struggled.

Since the playoffs, hes been Mr. Clutch. One of if not the best Giant foward since the playoffs started. Since getting drafted.

I think he has the potentials to be a good top 4 winger. Hes strong on the puck, hes got good speed, not the fastest but considered a pretty fast skater.

How well do you guys think he will do in the NHL?

2. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    I think he would more likely be a bottom-4 winger type... but possibly a very good one, similar to a Martin Gelinas type. Or maybe Raffi Torres, throwing away any expectations of the higher end goal totals. 15-20 goals, 30-40 pts, but bringing lots of energy.

He sometimes has lapses as a junior, but I think he has the character that will allow him to bring the energy and rambunctiousness far more consistently as a pro, when he is forced to do it just to survive in the league.

But I just don't think he has the hands or the offensive creativity to reach a higher ceiling than that. I'm not exactly sure what happened, because I thought I was seeing a slightly different player in his draft year, a guy who could score more off the rush and use his shot as a weapon. Since then, however, he just seems to be getting garbage goals or putting the puck wide or on the goalie's chest whenever I see him.

What I keep asking... do we know if Florida is planning to sign him? Prior to his playoff surge, I thought it might be fair game to think they would consider taking a pass. :dunno:

3. Redwingsfan

Redwingsfan Global Moderator

Awards:
    i dont think he will turn out to be the player he was expected to be when he got drafted. bottom-6 forward in the NHL.

4. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Registered User

Writer Etc.
    He strikes me as being someone who needs an effective coach with a decent system. While Don Hay is a proven and effective coach I'm not sure his system allowed for someone like McCardle to really show his stuff. I think he could really thrive in the proper context. Can Florida (Or its farm system) offer that?

Mike

5. WADEugottaBELAKthat

WADEugottaBELAKthat Flynt Flossy

I didn't like his crybaby attitude at WJC's this year when he was the 13th forward. At least that's how I percieved it.

6. wetcoastwhale

wetcoastwhale Registered User

I certainly didn't get that vibe from him, but why would a competitive player be ecstatic about not playing on any team? Yipee, I'm so glad I'm not playing, this is the greatest moment of my life, etc. etc.

I would take competitiveness over complacency any day, as long as he wasn't a cancer (which there is absolutely no indication of).

7. mikethompson

mikethompson Registered User

student/scout
    mcardle is not a cry baby type player and he was not crappy when he got here. mcardle is a good canadian kid who has battled speech impedement problems is whole life and is at the top of his game right know. he is a great player, teammate, friend to all he comes in touch with. he can score, hit, fight, pass, skate all very well. yah he probably wont be a top 6er like florida wants him to be but i think he can be a ryan kesler type player as kesler does all parts of the game well but extremely well.

8. Red

Red Registered User

Home Page:
    Shutdown/cluth 3rd liner who maxes out at 30pts per year but brings tons of effort and heart.