Ken McArdle - huge disapointment

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I remember a few Wings fans who were mad the team passed on this guy to pick Kindl. I knew it was a smart pick then and it's looking even better now.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
It looks like he lost his offensive game. He does everything else well but for some reason he can't score now. He had two very good years with Moose Jaw and got off to a slow start this year with Moose Jaw and with the Giants he can't buy a goal.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
He'll still be an NHL player, but only in a checking role. He's seriously lost his offensive game this year and has looked lost on the Giants team more than once. He's still the type of guy you win championships with though.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He'll still be an NHL player, but only in a checking role. He's seriously lost his offensive game this year and has looked lost on the Giants team more than once. He's still the type of guy you win championships with though.

I agree, he won't be a top six NHL player, but he'll probably be a great 3rd liner. And the type of guy championship teams MUST have. Point is, he'll more than likely end up in the NHL and play an important role, which isn't bad for the #20 pick. Not a great pick, but not a wasted one either. I wanted the Panthers to pick Rask though, and of course they didn't.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
From what I saw of him on my trip out west this year to visit family I dont know if Id say he'll be a player championship teams need. Has good speed, isnt overly physical nor does he have the ability to through big hits. Hes got a good work ethic and keeps working but personally I dont see him being much more than an average 4th line grinder.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
The Flyers had that pick, and for some reason I really wanted them to pick McCardle, so I was mad when they traded down to the #29 pick. I'm not at all mad now that we have Downie instead of "Ken".

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
McArdle will be one of the players from the 1st rnd of the 2005 draft that doesn't stick/make the NHL.
He'll stick. Players with his speed, smarts and effort always find a way.

I've been disappointed (confounded might be a better word) with his offensive regression as well. He was a point-per-game player with Moose Jaw last year. Alarm bells always go off when you see a player's production drop like that, although Ryan Getzlaf's pace dropped considerably, too, in his last year of junior, and he's turned out fine.

I think the potential is still there for McArdle to be a productive second line winger, even though he has struggled this year. At the very least, he will be a very reliable third or fourth line winger, and a very strong penalty killer.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Ya, I've been down on him since his arrival in Vancouver. He's a much ado about nothing player, always buzzing around but getting nothing done. I have to say he has been a bit snake bit of late but hopefully he can break through at playoff time. If he does the trade will be worth it as the guy he was traded for, Jason Reese, always seemed to disappear in the playoffs.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
He'll stick. Players with his speed, smarts and effort always find a way.

I've been disappointed (confounded might be a better word) with his offensive regression as well. He was a point-per-game player with Moose Jaw last year. Alarm bells always go off when you see a player's production drop like that, although Ryan Getzlaf's pace dropped considerably, too, in his last year of junior, and he's turned out fine.

I think the potential is still there for McArdle to be a productive second line winger, even though he has struggled this year. At the very least, he will be a very reliable third or fourth line winger, and a very strong penalty killer.
Getzlaf was still the best player and leading scorer on a very offensively challenged Calgary team (led the team with 54pts in 51 games). He was also the only player with more than a point per game. Some could argue he was bored with the WHL, cause he dominated the year before and looked NHL ready. McArdle hasn't developed, and it seems like his developement has taken a few steps back. I do agree, players that can skate, show alot of effort and are defensively reliable tend to stick, but his type are a dime a dozen. I am not sure if he will have a long career in the NHL.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I've NEVER looked at McCardle as a "smart" player. His on ice smarts are mediocre, IMO. Nothing to write home about, but nothing awful either. Just average.
Agree on this. His strengths are work ethic, skating, and attitude, but not intelligence.

His hands and skill are good at a WHL level but not spectacular, and probably not enough to ever boost him to a top 6 spot in the NHL. My biggest worry about McArdle has always been, and remains, that he needs to add core strength to compete in the NHL and excel in the areas he needs to excel in to have an NHL career. He isn't going to be a scorer, but if he adds some strength, he has the skating and attitude to have success as a grinder. He needs to be able to win battles in the corners and on the walls, play solid two way hockey, go to the net, and play a gritty hardworking game, but if he doesn't add some strength I am not sure he will be able to succeed in these key (for him) areas. If he does though, he does still have upside as a good third liner who can chip in some offense.

Something to keep in mind is that he was the go to guy on MJ last year, and in Vancouver he isn't even always playing on a scoring line. Of course this has something to do with the way he has played, but the difference in situation is likely at least playing a part in his offensive struggles. Having said that, the regression he has shown is unquestionably alarming. Just maybe not quite as alarming as it might appear. He has shown some very good signs of late, for what it's worth, and he has still been doing good things and imo is still a decent bet to crack the NHL. Way too early to write him off, in any case.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
At 17, McArdle was a budding WHL star and at that point warranted being picked in the first round. This season he should be living the hockey dream playing for his hometown WHL team and going to the Memorial Cup. A total puzzle.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
anyone remember Pierre McGuire at the draft going nuts over how good of a pick it was?

wonder if he includes that when he talks about all the steals hes uncovered like Phaneuf.

Espo7

Feb 11, 2007
Vancouver, BC
www.geocities.com
No offence but he has all the tools to be a strong NHLer with his speed.

I live in Vancouver and see him a lot, he does seem to have some stone hands at this stage, but hes having trouble with Don Hay's system.

This does not mean he is a bust, look at how some NHLers take forever to breakout...this season most notably could be David Legwand, he was a very high pick and took until he is 25/26 to breakout.

ilovehockey

Jan 1, 2007
anyone remember Pierre McGuire at the draft going nuts over how good of a pick it was?

wonder if he includes that when he talks about all the steals hes uncovered like Phaneuf.

When i watch the draft I think McGuire picks random players he likes, I don't know if he really scouts these players, outside of the top 10. When Jersey drafted Zach Parise he went off on how bad of a pick that was, or when off on Montreal for not takeing Brule.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
manny malhotra 2.0?
Sadly, I picked Malhotra #3 and McArdle #12 in my FHL. Reference those picks next time I say anything about a prospect in this forum, svp. :)

Anyway, I still like McArdle... I think as I reported from the prospect tourney this summer, however, he's a guy who... well... he has a motor that gives him an edge relative to others his age at times, but I don't know... maybe that edge starts to evapourate when he's plunked down with better players. And of course, he'll be with better and better players at every future step upwards that he makes. I hope he stays the course and comes through it all. There's a lot to like about his game, even if he never gets the cement out of his gloves.

TC20

Dec 12, 2006
Mayb he listens to you guys 3 goals and an assist against kamloops tonight

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
I mentioned earlier he has been snakebitten of late. Well he had the hatty tonight + an assist. Maybe the bad breaks are over for him? I hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad